Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I'm home sick today. It's one of those sicknesses where I felt fine in the morning, had a slight sore throat in the afternoon and by 10pm felt like all the pain and evil in the world had been soaked up into my body. 

Anyway (related) I've been wanting to get back to a more natural brow look. I recently bought a couple shades of Lancome Sourcil brow gel and really liked them but the thing about brow gels with brushes is I hate how long they take to do compared to using something like Brow Wiz or Microbrow. When I bought the Sourcil gels I saw there was a gimmicky looking brow brush to go with it for $29. Haha no way! I already own the ABH brush and my HG MUFE brow brush! Can't sucker me. But of course they suckered me. I used it for the first time yesterday and it's...AMAZING! I can do my brows so fast and natural with it and I'm like...why have I never heard anyone talk about this thing before? 

So so now I'm sitting sick in bed thinking about my cool new brow brush and wondering if I have the energy to just go do my brows because I want to use it again. 🙂

For those wondering, this is what it looks like. And my lipsticks could use a dusting. 

image.jpeg

Feel better Stars!  That brush looks super interesting.  I say try one brow.  It can't hurt 😉

Sorry you're sick - hope you recover for the weekend.

Cute nail polish, though! So you've got that going for you. 😉

Aw, thank you! And, hey, I'm not at work and I'm sipping hot tea. I'm lucky I get paid sick days. Hoping this thing passes in 24ish hours. I'm sure I'll be on the upswing soon! 

There's a storm a brewing over in the promo thread... not a peeve, more of an observation. I'll just leave this here:

wild.gif

I just got out of a sneak preview for The Shallows. I'm always down for a good creature feature. Movies like this also tap into my primal fear of water. I really want Blake Lively hair, I suppose that's my random thought. 

I looove creature features too. I kinda want to see this one. Thumbs up?

@Grahamcrackers Sorry, just saw this. It was very tense throughout and had a lot of action for most it taking place on a rock. If you're looking for a movie that entertains and delivers a big shark and lots of it then yes thumbs up! Some of the people in theatre with me didn't like that it wasn't realistic in the way a real shark would behave. So...load up on your suspension of disbelief and have a good time. I will probably go see it again while it's in theatres. My partner likes monster movies, but not real creatures eating people movies.

How fun! I want to see this and I want her hair too! 😄

When the signals from your brain misfire and you end up throwing your concealor behind your storage. Happens far to often. Once lost a powder for a few days because of that.

So apprently looking for an ~$8 item to add to my order for a promo, turned into me looking at all of the Givenchy fancies. None of which are close to $8 :x

'Tis a very slippery slope! 🙈

Haha that sounds like a familiar place for me to be in @Libellules 😛 But at least you'll get something gorgeous! 

Instead of buying either the Lorac Pro 3 (which is getting mixed reviews) or the ABH Modern Renaissance palette (which is getting rave reviews), I took a chance and bought a $10 Milani palette that Emilynoel83 raved about on Youtube.  And so far I'm thrilled with my low-budget choice!  It's in the same color family and has a nice mix of very warm matte and shimmers, the pigmentation is awesome, the blendability is great.  I'm testing the wear now, and so far I'm pretty pleased.  I've been hesitant about drugstore eyeshadows, but I like this one!  It's the Everyday Eyes in Earthy Elements, if anyone's curious.  I'm not saying anything in it is a straight dupe for the higher end palettes, but they're all in the same color family.

Pros of deluxe samples: you get a good gauge on whether you like the product.

Cons of deluxe samples: you love the product but it is out of your budget range 😞

@NancieNanoyes! Now I'm curious about which deluxe sample you loved 🙂

Isn't it taking things to extreme or this much higher Spf is really a thing.

image.jpeg

I thought US labeling laws changed such that 50+ was highest allowed and I don't believe EU or other places allow a SPF rating anymore (Universal Protection Factor instead, I think which rates against UVA and UVB rays) and Asia uses +++ which I am not sure I understand but I think is supposed to me most advanced?

as @Anonymous notes, nothing is close to 100% even if it were applied properly. 

I use use sunscreen but prefer hats, clothing with SPF and playing in the shade or avoiding mid day sun if we can. 

Anonymous Insider

@fatimamummy, Found a quote from dermatologist, James M. Spencer, M.D. based on his knowledge* that SPF 15 blocks 95% UVB rays, SPF 30 blocks 97%, and SPF 45 blocks 98%, he says, "After that, it just gets silly."

I just buy whichever is at least SPF 30 and hopefully has UVA protection, too, then reapply often.

🙂

*-other sources quote different, but similar numbers.  Important note is that none provide 100% protection.

@Anonymous I saw it while buying some anti acne products for my daughter and it felt a bit over kill to me. 

Anonymous Insider

@fatimamummy, I felt like that years ago when I learned about SPF 50.  I'm like, just stand in the shade!

testing