Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

ack! this won't leave my brain.. I thought of something..

You could run this business without postage cost by using the 'gift' feature at shipping.. exactly like 'drop shipping' to your buyer. And Sephora provides you the tracking number, so you have confirmation of delivery in case of any issues...

I am not saying someone should. I just can't stop thinking about the logistics of this as a business model.

If the most likely buyers are international, then that woukdnt work because it would be because no one ships there... 

And while the shipping sounds exorbitant, international tracking can be spendy and is required for any sort of seller protection. Leaving actual vs charged shipping out of it, that price makes $10 for the seller assuming a 9% tax rate. We are not talking huge profit here.  You have to take into account that 13% plus .30 go to fees - more if it's an international sale. 

But, really, at the end of the day, what the seller does or does not charge and what someone else is willing to pay them is none of your business

Buxom Full-On Lip Polish... 99 shades?!! Whaaaat!

I want a sheer peach shade, but wow, there are, like, 6+ peach colors and no swatches of these glosses. Sigh. Guess I've gotta make a trip in.

I put up a swatch photo for you of a Buxom gloss in the questions thread 😊

I actually saw that first, thank you so, so much!!!

You're welcome! 😊💖💗

I have reached 500 hearts!!! Thanks everyone!

Woot woot 🍾👏🏾

Yay for hearts!! 💕

Yipee!!  Happy hearts!!!

Wooohoo! Congrats!!

HGAVp9pwT7Ypa.gif

Thank you!

Non beauty related.

seaweed is one of my favorite snacks. I have loved it since i was a child. I got some today and found it funny, that in big letters on the wrapper, it says " Gluten free and vegan." It's seaweed, of course it is gluten free and vegan.

Huh. Considering microorganisms and all the small critters that live on seaweed etc I'm more surprised that it's vegan.

i'm sorry, i have to chime in. you'd be surprised how many foods-ya'd-think-be-veg are not; when insidious ingredients like beef broth or milk proteins make it into so-called "natural flavorings". not to mention, in asia it's common to have fish bits like bonito flakes on and in their seaweed snacks. as a vegan i appreciate the info and confirmation !! 

I get a pain when companies write Gluten free and vegan on products too. I was putting some canned peaches on my breakfast this AM and noticed that the can had that notation. Who, in their right mind, would mistake peaches for animal/gluten origin? There's only peaches in the can, people!

Facilities can have contamination (called cross contamination). There can also be low levels of gluten in ingredients used to keep canned items fresh (like syrup in canned fruit). In order to advertise a food product as gluten free, a company must pass an inspection where they are tested on a scale of levels rather than pass/fail. The scale measures parts per million, and a food must fall below a certain level in order to be labeled "gluten free." Even though a food item may not contain wheat, barley, or rye it can still contain low (parts per million) levels of gluten that could make certain people sick. I have actually felt sick to my stomach after eating certain types of canned fruits and vegetables.

My family used to get upset with me about why I would say I was getting sick from certain things that they didn't understand because they should be gluten free. I only learned this after much trial and error and research.

@jemly @rainbowRae  Point very well taken, I stand corrected.

It just seemed odd since the ingredients list said Peaches, water, sugar, sodium ascorbate (to preserve freshness). Plus peaches being plant origin, it seemed redundant. Thanks for setting me right.

It's all good. I was baffled myself when I learned about it. Putting the information forward was only with the intent of providing information and nothing negative. The things that happen with prepackaged food is shocking. (Like cellulose (wood pulp) being in prepackaged parmesan cheese and in percentages far beyond what the FDA recommends)

My body became hypersensitive after I changed my diet for a while to accommodate gestational diabetes, and suddenly, once trivial things became a bigger deal to where I fall into that annoying small percentage of people that overanalyze everything they eat. On the up side, I eat so much healthier now and feel a lot better 🙂   (and lost all my baby weight plus some!)

🙂 @prettyinpa . i wasn't trying to cause an argument or anything, i just recognized i had a different perspective to offer ! 

honestly, in many cases it is redundant. i totally feel ya there. but it's not just food labeling, it's marketing. albeit to a small fraction of the population, but it's a small fraction that tends to take their food and consumerism verrrry seriously 🙂

@jemly Aside from very real allergies, I don't think the target market is all that small. Since the popular diet pendulum swung from anti-fat to anti-carb, I am guessing the "gluten free" = instant healthy association. It's like organic sugar, candy or hot dogs. Have you been in a whole foods recently and see what absolute crap they sell? 😉

6 Replies
testing