Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Anonymous Insider

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

@MK89 I know. What I'm specifically saying is that "that region" is not the entire world. If she said "South Asian" people, I wouldn't really have said anything because while I'm aware of what you mention, I never lived in it. 

I always like being "specific" (as we can get, because obviously it can't be pinpoint specific) when talking culture.  It's not about whether it's true or not. My point was more about whether it's so general (over cultures in which it's not hard to find women wearing a lighter shade of foundation). 

Skin tone is not the same issue as eyelid or lip color in some culture. It's pretty much the same thing in some culture I experienced. 

I believe this is just bad makeup and lighting. How much difference good and bad makeup can make.This is the same actress whose picture you have posted . 😱

image.jpeg

I'm just making a guess here, but are you talking about Insta-beauty/cakeface?

can you provide a picture for example? I don't think i've come across this!

Anyone heard any news/ rumors about if/when Sephora will be offering a Sun Safety Kit this year?  I just realized this morning that my facial SPF is almost empty.  I'm trying to decide if I should buy a replacement now or hold out for a kit.  

The SiJCP version has already been spotted. You may want to check the SiJCP thread to see photos and contents. The regular Sephoras usually have them in May. I purchased mine mid-may last year. 

Thanks for the tip!  I don't normally look in the SiJCP thread.  I will check it out.

I think I'm the last person to realize all of my Tarte single blushes have magnets under the metal pans and can be removed and reinserted so easily. It's pretty magical. I wish all of my single blushes were that magical. 

This may sound weird but sometimes i wish i could go back to the early days of doing my makeup. The exploration and just keeping things more natural. I see all these beauty gurus who are my age and stick with a certain fresh look, and I actually quite envy that. 

Just some thoughts.

Your looks are so creative and expressive. But I understand what you are saying. No reason why you can't do both!

My sushi in a bottle promo came in!!!! 😄 Well, more like it came in yesterday, but I haven't figured out how to upload photos from the phone to BT. 

perric.JPG

LOL - I think the Cold Plasma smells more like chicken broth than fish, but either way, the scent is not pleasant. 

However, I've used it for the last 4 days, and I think the results are awesome for me so far (no breakouts so far, fingers crossed).

At first I thought the smell was horrible, but I got used to it and was able to use it without a problem. I think it might have broken me out though. 😞 I stopped using it as of now, hoping my skin will go back to normal. I am totally convinced my skin just hates me, even though I spend $$$ trying to take care of it. How unappreciative, Wahhh.

Anonymous Insider

@nikki25gee Tell me about it...so I use only the ones without retinol, vitaminC, etc. My skin really can break out "violently" in reaction to certain products (naturally, maybe one or two, I guess)...

My skin reacts badly to vitamin C as well, which makes me so sad because so many people have such great results from it. 😞 @Anonymous

Anonymous Insider

@nikki25gee Exactly (I can use it maybe a very small amount...)...and the same goes for glycolic/lactic acid, etc. 

Bitter lace beauty has returned to hyping up her product and ignored everyone who has asked questions and offered constructive advice. I said something about it on IG. And apparently I hit a nerve with Jeffree Star. 

I don't understand why you think she ignored your "constructive advice". Is it because she didn't acknowledge it? She didn't thank you personally? Maybe she doesn't have the time. Maybe she didn't see your comments. Maybe she wants to run her buisness the way she wants to, without taking advice from strangers on the internet. And for a buisness that seems to be run by only one person, it doesn't seem to be doing that bad.

Also, I don't understand how you can offer her constructive advice. Do you know exactly the situation she's in? The time she has, the money she needs to buy the supplies to make her products, how fast she can get those supplies? This is the kind of information you need in order to give advice and I doubt she posts it on Instagram. So, if you need buisness advice, strangers on Instagram are probably not the best for the job. 

I'm no fan of JS or this particular company, but I think this situation was poorly handled all around.  IIRC, you mentioned you'd previously sent feedback the day before, so IMO it's probably overkill to give it again a day later, frustrated or not.  However, that does not give JS or other fans the right to attack anyone on IG.

Regardless of how the owner chooses to market her business, IMO she would be dumb not to take advantage of the free Jeffree Star publicity while she has it (even without having anything to sell).  To people that think he and his opinions are relevant, his endorsement could be quite the currency for her, given that they are likely her target market.

It sucks that she didn't have enough for everyone, but that seems to be most 'flash' cosmetic releases these days, unfortunately.

Hey ladies! Hope you're all well! Someone texted me about this conversation, and the subsequent conversations on IG and I was not going to comment, but I somehow feel compelled to. (I'll probably regret it...) 

I'm sure none of you would dare give marketing or business advice to Tom Ford, Pat McGrath, Kylie Jenner, or even Jefree Starr. What Bitter Lace did (based off what I read) was create buzz around her product, whether on purpose or not. When Tom Ford releases products, we all sit and simmer, waiting for it to release and praying we get our hands on it as to not have FOMO. Then, those who don't stalk the site, ask SA's and try to figure out when they can get it again. Why is Bitter Lace's sell out any different? Because she's smaller and she used Social Media to apologize for not having enough product to go around? 

Anyone commenting on this have a MBA in marketing, branding, or merchandising? Or, were you asked specifically from the brand to give your advice? The second question is probably more important. Most of us are not qualified to give unsolicited or even solicited advice on marketing, merchandising or branding. If we decide to do so, we have to be prepared for the backlash.  Reading through the comments on IG, I understand completely why there was backlash. Just be happy for her; even if you feel she is making mistakes in her marketing. The beauty of that is that it's her company and only she has to worry about the success or failure of it. She doesn't have to listen to any unsolicited advice; as none of you have to listen to mine. 

I read through the IG post after noticing comments here...and I just came away feeling really bad for bitter lace beauty.  I hope things go more smoothly for her.  She already explained the issue and she said she is going to be mass marketing them as soon as she can.

testing