ChicDabbler

Q&A with the mods? I'm curious =)

[ Edited ]

Hi mods (and admins)!

So most of the time we just see you do CS stuff and forget y'all have beauty backgrounds, but occasionally I hear little tidbits about backstage on fashion shows, or stuff at Sephora University. And I know a lot of you ladies (and gent) have some great tips/knowledge, so, I would love to know a bit more about the beauty advisor/expert side of you. Care to share?

1. What is your area of expertise/interest? (hair, skincare, makeup, nails etc)

2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup? (fashion show? challenging looks? beauty requests? innovative behind the scene look for brands?)

3. What is your skincare must have?

4. What is your beauty must have?

5. What is a fun/useful tip that you think people should know? (not the typical "take off makeup" and "wear sunscreen")

6. Favorite trend/more avant garde stuff that you think would be nice to see more of off the runway? (ombre lips? colorful eyes? purple blush?)

Thanks!

kevinbt

Re: Q&A with the mods? I'm curious =)

[ Edited ]

Hi all! I was out of town as well, but here is mine! :smileyhappy: 

1. What is your area of expertise/interest?

Mine would have to be hair and nails. (but I love skincare too)  If I wasn't working at Sephora I'd be working in a nail shop in Tokyo. haha  I was totally nail obsessed in beauty school.

gyarunails.jpg 

2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup?

Some school friends and I were asked to do makeup and hair on a TV series for their Halloween special.  We then got to do each other's make up and be in the show! lol 

I need a beauty oil.  I always always throw one on before I go to bed.

Bronzer! I've gone through more Shiseido bronzer than I would like to admit.. 

5. What is a fun/useful tip that you think people should know? 

Try not to blow-dry your hair in the bathroom after you shower!  The excess moisture is going to give you frizz. :smileysad: I always blowout my hair in my room and my hair always looks perfect! Jk.. but really, don't do it in the bathroom.  

6. Favorite trend/more avant garde stuff that you think would be nice to see more of off the runway? 

I'd have to agree with Laura.  I love a bold brow, but I like to see them a little unruly and wild.  Like a wolf-brow! wolfbrow.jpg 

ShinyMagpie

Now Kevin you know we're all jealous of your perfect hair! :smileyhappy:

marydiva

WOLF-BROWS FOREVER! :smileyvery-happy: Kevin, glad to see you're back! We missed you! 

kevinbt

Aw thank you! :smileyhappy: Wolf-brow power!! 

ChicDabbler

Hair tip! Haha, trust me a couple of us ladies are getting jealous of your hair, thanks for sharing. 

Oh oh oh! That sounds exactly like my brow! It's not bushy but very black and long so just tweezing a couple hair wrong will change it, so I just decided to leave it alone for the most part except for the really stray ones on my eyelid. =D

Next time someone asks, I'll tell them I've got wolf-brows. :smileywink:

BeautyJunkie325

Is that the Polar Vortex look?  I look like that after shoveling snow. 

kevinbt

Haha! I changed my answer, but yes! That look would definitely be called the Polar Vortex. 

BeautyJunkie325

I still look like that after shoveling!  I call it the angry like a wolf look! :smileyhappy:

laurabt

Hi Beautys!

I've been out of town on vacay, so I missed this one, but better late than never!

1. What is your area of expertise/interest? 

I'm a licensed Esthetician, so I'm very confident in skincare, however makeup is really my true passion, and that's what I love doing on my free time (mostly weddings).

2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup?

I worked on a horror film and learned how to do all sorts of crazy/ scary looks with blood, bruises, cuts, etc. It was really fun making people look bad instead of good!

Moisturizer with SPF. I'm very fair, and burn very easily. Also, my skin has become drier the older I get. <sigh>

This is a tough one -- it's a tie between mascara & concealer. I really can't leave the house without either one!

5. What is a fun/useful tip that you think people should know?

Tight lining is a simple trick that a lot of people don't know about, or are afraid to try on themselves, but makes a big impact with any eye look! I do it on myself every day, and whenever I'm doing others' makeup as well. I recommend everyone try it and see the difference!

6. Favorite trend/more avant garde stuff that you think would be nice to see more of off the runway? 

I'm loving the current bold brows on the runway right now. Being a naturally thin-browed gal myself, I wish I could grow nice full, lush brows. When they're groomed just right... ahh, perfection.

bold brows.jpg

:smileyhappy: -Laura

MlleCC

Laura, I've been wanting to try tightlining, but as you said, I'm a bit scared to put something that close to my eye! Is there a type of product/formula for tightlining that you would recommend to this makeup newbie? Thank you!

laurabt

Hi MileCC!

Yes, I just posted about tight lining again this morning! You can view it here > http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/Laura-Mercier-eyeliner-amp-brush/m-p/1211907#M12882

Don't be scared! Just make sure that you're applying the makeup to the base of your lashes, not your waterline, so it doesn't smudge when you blink, or get in your eyes before it dries.

Here's another tip: I use the color Blue Marine in the LM Tightline Cake Eye Liner. It's so dark that it looks black, but the blue tint helps to brighten the whites of your eyes. And definitely use the Tightline Activator instead of water, because it seals the makeup so it won't budge throughout the day.  Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

:smileyhappy: -Laura

etscore1

Laura Mercier Tightlining Cake Eyeliner 

http://www.sephora.com/tightline-cake-eye-liner-P285323?skuId=1323229

Use a wet/damp flat or angled eyeliner brush to apply.

She was just posting about it in another thread and I definitely second the greatness of this product. And to try and help build your confidence, check out a youtube or two!

tracygirl64

I love bold brows too! So pretty!

kimchikween

loving this thread!  thx to all the mods who responded - has been very insightful!

melissabt

[ Edited ]

1. What is your area of expertise/interest? (hair, skincare, makeup, nails etc) Make up for sure! I've worked for a TON of brands and I love polished and fun make up and love false lashes. I've worked at several counters where I would need to apply at least a few a day. Natural lashes, big feather lashes, lashes for weddings etc.

I've done make up for weddings, special events, Halloween etc. Halloween was my favorite time of year when I worked in store.

2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup? (fashion show? challenging looks? beauty requests? innovative behind the scene look for brands?)

The most challenging when I first started was a perfectly even winged liner! I can easily do it on myself however, with so many different eye shapes, you really have to tailor it to your shape and the look that you are going for. Also, doing make up for events! We had a 30 min time limit and you had to work really quickly. That includes the consultation and shade matching.

3. What is your skincare must have? I’m thinking of items that I have stocked up on a normal basis! PTR exfoliating wash for face and body (it has a combo of glycolic acid and salicylic acid, fresh soy face cream, Fresh Seaberry Oil, Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm and ExfoliKate

4. What is your beauty must have? Hard to narrow this one down! I’d have to say a brow pencil and some concealer.

5. What is a fun/useful tip that you think people should know? (not the typical "take off makeup" and "wear sunscreen")

I would always tell my clients, when applying your make up start with the eyes first. You can then remove any shadow fall out before applying your foundation. For eye make up start from the top and work your way down, allows for easier blending and it looks more polished this way:

Brow highlight, crease (mid tone shade), add another shade if you would like in the crease, lid and darken the outer crease. Start off with less first so its easier to blend, you can always keep adding to it. Use a flat brush for the brow highlight and tap it to really pack on the shadow, use a fluffy brush for the crease and a flat one for the lid.

6. Favorite trend/more avant garde stuff that you think would be nice to see more of off the runway? (ombre lips? colorful eyes? purple blush?)

I love purple anything! Especially cool lavender toned lips and blushes. You can do just a wash of it to make it look natural.

lavender.jpglavender 2.jpg

<3 Melissa
ChicDabbler

Thanks for answering! The tip about which brush to use for where on the eyes is helpful. 

Those false lashes sound fun, altho I'm always a bit too intimidated to try them, maybe it's time I grab a pair from sales section next time I order. =)

MlleCC

Love the eyeshadow tips, Melissa! You made eye makeup sound much less complicated and intimidating to this makeup newbie! 

marydiva

:smileyhappy: Wow! I am totally gonna try your eye makeup technique! I've always been doing it from the bottom up and it's so hard to blend that way! I'm trying it your way ASAP! 

melissabt

Marydiva,

It really makes it so much easier! Something about it just keeps it tidy and smoother to blend. You can always go back and add a tiny bit more highlight on the brow bone afterwards, I always make sure that it doesn't touch the crease or else it will end up covering the color.

<3 Melissa
marydiva

I tried it - it works AMAZINGLY. :smileyvery-happy: Never doing eyeshadow the same way again! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 82 replies
  • 593 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • blonde78
    • marydiva