ChicDabbler

Q&A with the mods? I'm curious =)

[ Edited ]

Hi mods (and admins)!

So most of the time we just see you do CS stuff and forget y'all have beauty backgrounds, but occasionally I hear little tidbits about backstage on fashion shows, or stuff at Sephora University. And I know a lot of you ladies (and gent) have some great tips/knowledge, so, I would love to know a bit more about the beauty advisor/expert side of you. Care to share?

1. What is your area of expertise/interest? (hair, skincare, makeup, nails etc)

2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup? (fashion show? challenging looks? beauty requests? innovative behind the scene look for brands?)

3. What is your skincare must have?

4. What is your beauty must have?

5. What is a fun/useful tip that you think people should know? (not the typical "take off makeup" and "wear sunscreen")

6. Favorite trend/more avant garde stuff that you think would be nice to see more of off the runway? (ombre lips? colorful eyes? purple blush?)

Thanks!

melissabt

Re: Q&A with the mods? I'm curious =)

Yayyy, I'm glad that you tried it!:smileyhappy:!

<3 Melissa
blonde78

Awesome idea for a thread, can't wait 'til more behind the scenes mods post responses!

miabt

[ Edited ]

What a fun Q&A :smileyhappy:  Thanks for thinking of us Mods!!

1. What is your area of expertise/interest? (hair, skincare, makeup, nails etc)

Makeup for sure.  I've done everything from corporate gigs for hospitals, magazines, runway, weddings, friends... you name it, I've done it.  I've got my certification & everything!
2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup? (fashion show?challenging looks? beauty requests? innovative behind the scene look for brands?)

Most challenging?  Hands down, bridal.  The makeup itself is fairly easy, however if anyone has done weddings, you know how intense brides can be!  Fashion shows are always amazing too... fast paced, wardrobe changes, makeup changes... whew!  I've even done makeup for a fashion show in the DARK using my iphone as a flashlight!

Tarte Maracuja Oil & the Murad Acne Exfoliating Treatment Gel.  The combo saved my face from adult acne :smileywink:

Blush.  If I have 10 seconds to grab & put something on, its my blush!!  I've tried many, but I always go back to my beloved NARS Orgasm.  I also really, really love my eyeliner.  Its crazy expensive, but the KVD Tattoo Eyeliner is a rockstar.  I've cried in it 3 times one day & went to dinner later that night without having to touchup :smileyhappy:
5. What is a fun/useful tip that you think people should know? (not the typical "take off makeup" and "wear sunscreen")

Dont neglect your brows.  It true when "they" say that brows make your face.  Especially being a makeup artist, when brows are over plucked, not filled in or are way too dark, I cringe.
6. Favorite trend/more avant garde stuff that you think would be nice to see more of off the runway? (ombre lips? colorful eyes? purple blush?)

Colorful eye makeup is overdone.  Its fun to play with, but the 7 different bright colors is a little too much for my taste.  I'd LOVE to see more bold lips.  People underestimate their ability to "pull it off", but everyone just needs to find the right shade for them.  Personally, a deep blue a'la Rihanna would be fun to see more of!

Riri

xo, Mia

ChicDabbler

Wait, makeup for fashion show in the dark using an iPhone?!?!?!? But how do you make sure you got the right color? foundation? Or you just do it and hope the runway was darker? o.O I hope the lights got back before it started so you can touch up?

miabt

Thats the art of being a makeup artist!  I'm pretty good with foundation matching in general and a little bronzer can usually fix up any major flaws.  I'll see if I can find a picture from that night :smileywink:

miabt

Here you go @beautytester!  This was one of my 5 models... luckily the look was a bit edgy & heavy on the eyes, otherwise it may have been a HUGE disaster!  Me & the other MUAs still laugh til this day about that crazy night!

upload_7790412826231156085.jpg

xo, Mia

IllegallyBlonde

She's beautiful, wow

tracygirl64

I think that I need to hire miabt to come do my makeup! That's amazing that you were able to do that in the dark with only an i-phone for lighting! :smileysurprised:

ChicDabbler

Niiiiiiiiiiice. Haha, you do makeup better in the dark than I do in full daylight. Guess that's why you are a MUA. XD

MintShake

Such an interesting post :3 

candacebt

I'm not *really* a mod, but since I can't make any of the real changes BeautyTester demands asks for, I can grant her this request. :smileyhappy:

1. What is your area of expertise? (hair, skincare, makeup, nails etc)

I suppose it would be nails, though I'm not professionally trained or anything. Just obsessed. 

2. What is your most challenging/exciting/interesting experience regarding makeup? (fashion show? challenging looks? beauty requests? innovative behind the scene look for brands?)

Since I'm in charge of helping concept and execute the Sephora social posts, it's trying to make the great ideas our team thinks of come across in a helpful / meaningful / fun way. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don't!

My Clarisonic! I will shout about it from the rooftops forever. I'm also loving all of the Boscia masks at the moment.

Ehh...can I have 3? Concealer, eyeliner, and mascara. Even if I'm just running out to the grocery store, I put those 3 things on (or I wear sunglasses).

Well I've found for glitter polishes, it is better to PAT on the glitter instead of swipe it on the nail, so that you can control where the glitter goes. 

I love crazy eyeliner. Like the 2 line looks or the big overdone cat eye. I sort of have a flair for the dramatic in the eye department. 

comfyrock

Ooh, you should pop in the Eyeshadow Inspiration thread and post a few inspirational pics or looks of your own!

ShinyMagpie

I'm loving this whole thread.

I also LOVE my Clarisonic. I'm quite in love with Boscia right now too. I'm loving the two masks I've already tried and I really want to get the multi-masking kit. My absolute favorite of theirs is their Deep Hydration Mask for night time. I don't know how I lived without it. 

The glitter nail polish tip totally makes sense. Now that you say it seems so logical and one of those "why didn't I think of that" things. 

I love all the crazy eyeliner trends too. I would love to see that become more mainstream. 

candacebt

I JUST got my Boscia multi-masking kit in the mail. I'll report back!

BeautyJunkie325

I keep putting it in & out of my cart.  Can't wait to hear your thoughts. 

ShinyMagpie

Excellent!

ChicDabbler

Yay! =P

Hmm, when you say "pat" on the glitter, you mean dab it on with the brush? but then don't you sometimes end up with too much goop/clear liquid? or at least that's my problem anyways. o.O

candacebt

Yes, dab it on with a brush. I actually find that if you goop on a bit and dab it around the nail (I am not explaining this well), it works better because you're not brushing off the the last coat of glitter when you put the new coat on. I put a little dollop on my brush and dabble it around on the nail filling in the areas that need it.

sparklekai

it makes perfect sense!  Place a dot and dab in place instead of place a dot and drag out so it's less concentrated!  didn't even think about this! thanks!

SallieSunshine

HAHAHAHA - well played, Candace. :smileyvery-happy: You are a fabulous hostess. (Hmm, or director of social media? Yeah, I like that better!)  

Missie772

(0) Hearts

I love this thread!!! I am so excited that Mods responded too! I love knowing more about them! Too bad this post got hidden... I would have loved to seen it earlier.

But at least I can be happy that we got a glimpse into the Mods personal life!!! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 82 replies
  • 593 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • blonde78
    • marydiva