Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Q&A: THE BASICS

let's get back to basics ! all answers subject to change. no answers will be held against you when you change your mind 😉

what is your favorite __ of all time ?

1. blush (or other cheek product)
  2. lipstick
  3. base product
  4. eye shadow (single, color, or palette)
  5. mascara
  6. skincare product
  7. perfume
  8. misc. (anything else you may want to mention !)

Re: Q&A: THE BASICS

What is your favorite__of all time?

1. Blush- Dolce Gabbana Luminous Cheek Color Blush in Delight- a neutral pink that goes with everything.  These blushes blend so easily and last all day.

2. Lipstick- Burberry Kisses in Rose Blush- Just enough color to make my lips stand out without overdoing it.

3. Base Product- Omorovicza BB Cream- Light- It feels great, is good for my skin, and just melts into my face and looks natural.

4. Eye Shadow- Armani Eye Tint 09- Cold Copper- I recently rediscovered this one.  It changes its appearance with the angle of the light reflection, so it looks like I've applied different shadows on my lid and crease, without all of the work.  Lasts all day too.

5. Mascara- Dolce Gabbana Secret Eyes- Gives me fluttery lashes without clumping.

6. Skincare Product- Kypris 1000 Roses- This serum smells lightly of roses, and it makes my skin very smooth and nourished.  I feel pretty wearing it!

7. Perfume- Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume- This is my perfect scent.  Clean, soft, and feminine.  A runner-up is Egyptian Goddess Perfume Oil by Auric Blends- Similar to Juliette, with some additions.  If you want a signature scent that will last everywhere it touches, even on your car seatbelt, this is it.

what is your favorite __ of all time ?
1.blush - I don't usually wear blush, but I love highlight and bronzer Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops - Love Moonlight and Sunkissed
2.lipstick - KVD Miss Argentina
3.base product - Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Long Wear Foundation
4.eye shadow - I don't really wear eyeshadow
5.mascara - Loreal Carbon Black
6.skincare product - Sunday Riley Good Genes
7.perfume - Stella by Stella McCartney
8.misc. - Loving new NARS soft matte concealer and the new Ardell Faux Mink Lashes in 812

1. Blush:  Stila convertible color in Peony (perfect natural, not overdone, look)
  2. Lipstick:  Chanel Rouge Coco in 434 Mademoiselle (nothing earth-shattering about the formula, but the color is perfect for me. A solid performer over time, and hands-down favorite).
  3. Base:  Guerlain Meteorites Perles in Medium (while I aspire to wear foundation, most days I just do a dusting of this powder, throw on some lipstick, and rush out the door.)
  4. Eye shadow:  Burberry Eye Colour Cream in 106 Pink Heather (great quick and easy product that provides a "natural with dimension/interest" look)
  5. Mascara:  Guerlain Maxi Lash
  6. Skincare Product:  Guerlain Abeille Royale Face Oil
  7. Perfume:  Guerlain Terracotta (consistently in the  summer, nothing standout in the winter)
  8. Misc: 
  • Julep Konjac Cleaning Sponge (perfect for cleaning face, removing masks, etc).
  • Lush Salted Coconut Hand Scrub (while just an exfoliator, it smells amazing and provides a quick rush of luxury and pampering).
  • Pixi Brow Duo (so natural, and I like having a pencil and gel in one wand).

@SheWhoSkis Ooooo! I was just looking at the Burberry color cream, I'd love a mini review if you have the time! 🙂 

@themusefactory  I have several shades.  What would you like to know?

@Ispend2much6 I'm a huge lover of cream shadow. So I'd like to know how they compare to other brands? Also is it harder formula like Givenchy? Mousey like Chanel? Is it more sheer or opaque? Does it play nicely with other creams and powders? Overall, would you recommend or do you think another brand is better?  

@themusefactory   Well, let's see.  I have cream shadows from Chanel, Burberry, Make Up Forever, Smashbox, and Armani. (The Armani ones are the tints in the tube, and I also use a couple of their Brow Maestros for shadows- Wengewood and Auburn, and I love those.)

It looks like Smashbox isn't making those anymore.

1. If you are looking for a shadow that stays smooth and moist, that would be Make Up Forever's Aqua Creams.  I have the prettiest pink/beige, but it's not on Sephora anymore.  They have all the colors on MUFE's site (I have #19, Pink Beige.) Mine has never dried up and it's years old.  Plays nicely with shadows and other creams.

2. Burberry has absolutely stunning colors, in my opinion they are unique to a lot of other cream shadows.  But, they are the ones most likely to dry up (don't bother with the Eye Colour Contour Pen; in a month they'll be dry, if not when you buy them.)  They are also more dry and solid to start with than Chanel.  You really do need to apply Burberry with a brush.  Otherwise, it will crumple off of your finger when you try to apply it.  I use some of Burberry's powder shadows on top with no problem.

Having said that, I still wouldn't want to be without Dusky Mauve and Mink.

3. I think Chanel's last a long time without drying also.  I have had Emerveille for a couple of years and it's still pliable.  Lasts all day too. 

Maybe it's the colors I have but I think both Chanel and Burberry can be sheer or more opaque with additional layers added on.  Easy to use powders on top of these.  I may have used other creams, but I'm not sure.

4. Everyone should try one of Armani's Eye Tints. I don't care for their matte "smoke" colored ones, but I like Cold Copper, Shadow, Obsidian, and Minuit.  They go on smoothly, sheer with one coat, opaque with more, and they last all day without spreading.  Powders work like a dream on top of these also, but why would you want to? 😉

I did read somewhere that storing cream shadows upside down may help prevent them from drying out.  So I do that, just in case.

@SheWhoSkis I originally purchased the Pixi Brow Duo based off a recommendation from two of my favorite Youtubers, but I really liked it! I ended up trying out some other brows products, but my mom is really into it. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

It might not be pronounced enough for some, but I have a thick and ample brow. Many products (Glossier Boy Brow, Clinique Brown wand thingie, powders, highly-pigmented pencils) end up giving me caterpillar brows if I'm not careful. I like the light and natural look of the Pixi brow duo, so it's nice to find something that works for me.

@MariekeBT

@SheWhoSkis I'd give up brows for a thick and ample rear. 😉 

Bwaahahaha .... trunk for daaaaays!

@SheWhoSkis I have a medium thick brow if that's a way to describe it haha If I don't fill it in, you can tell that I still have brows, but if I fill it in it a little bit it looks a little bit more full and defined. My mom has basically no brows at all, so it's nice to find a product that works for people of all brow types! 😄

XOXO,
Marieke

Fun thread! 

1. Blush- Chanel Cream blush (discontinued and I'm still not over it) 

2. Lipstick? Yikes... I don't know if I have an all time Favorite? 

3. Base -Cle de Peau concealer (why you gotta be so expensive!) 

4. Eyes - Probably MUFE just for the variety of colors. 

5. Mascara - Diorshow (you too! Why are you so expensive!)

6. Skincare -Thanks @unfungirl for getting me hooked on SR Tidal

7. Perfume - Jo Malone Lavender and Coriander (also discontinued and I'm still not over it) 

Chanel has the best cream blushes, hands down.

@themusefactory I'm another one who loves Cle de Peau. I have to mentally prepare myself for the prices every time 

@ashlynaf Next time you need to make a purchase, I promise to be a faithful friend and virtually hold your hair back when you press the order button! 

Blush: Becca Rose Spritz 

Lipstick: YSL Rouge Volupte in Rouge in Danger

Base Product: Tarte's Shape Tape

Eyeshadow: Natasha Denona Star Palette

Mascara: Too Faced's Better Than Sex Mascara

Skincare Product: Lush's Cosmetic Catastrophe Face Mask

Perfume: Gap's So Pink

I'll do my best to stick to only one of each. No promises, though. 😉

1. Blush: Illamasqua Katie. Always. ( But, I've been obsessed with Naked Rose lately. )

2. Lipstick: I don't have only one all time fav as I love way too many to count. So I'll go with "right now", if that's ok. And, that's Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet La Fascinante ( over and over and again ). 

3. Base product: Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream in BB1.

4. Eye shadow: I'll have to think about this one.

5. Mascara: Estee Lauder Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara. This is the only mascara I can trust it won't smudge, flake, or pull any other kind of shenanigans on me no matter what... while making my lashes look fab.

6. Skincare product: Oof, too many. I'm gonna go with "right now" again. I've only used it a few times so far, but it has totally blew my mind - Mahalo The Bean Mask.

7. Perfume: Mugler Alien... probably. ( But, I am obsessed with Atelier Cologne Clementine California right now! Can't get enough of it! )

8. Misc:

Sephora Tranquil, my fav contour.

And, I am in love with Rahua Voluminous shampoo and conditioner! Best stuff I've ever tried for my hair! Makes all the difference and I can't stop raving about it! 🙂 Easily my all time fav.

@lyravega the Bean is lovely, isn't it?

I'm scraping the bottom of my first pot but thankfully already reordered since it took forever to receive from Hawaii last time 😄

Wheeeee favorites! You can pry these babies from my cold dead hands. I tried not to think about it too hard and went on instinct.

FullSizeRender.jpg

1. Hourglass mood exposure - this is a beautiful blush that goes with anything - you never have to think about it. I agree with Liz, I much prefer the OG blushes over the new highlighter infused ones. 

2. Charlotte Tilbury very victoria - This also goes with everything. It's very neutral and flattering on me. I really dislike wearing lipstick, but these matte revolutions are pretty comfortable and wear off nicely.

3. Bare Minerals complexion rescue - this is so comfortable and I love the glow. It lets my freckles show through and evens my complexion. If it was available in a shade lighter it would literally be perfect. I make it work though and it's still my favorite.

4. Lorac Pro matte - this is a boring favorite I guess but it's my most used/abused/loved eye product and I use it every day. I've hit pan on 2 shadows!

5. I forgot to include a mascara, but my favorite highlighter is Laura Mercier matte radiance baked powder in 01 - this is the perfect natural highlighter. It's not shimmery but is still a glowy highlight.

6. PTR cucumber mask - this has saved my skin on several occasions. Its a must have if you have sensitive skin that burns easily.

7. The Blend warm vanilla amber - I don't really like lipstick and I don't really like perfume. But this is so sexy and delicious!

136 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • qa.jpg
  • basics.jpg
  • IMG_1135.JPG
  • 4887F9AE-4891-4AF6-B459-CFC7F4E613F3.jpg
  • IMG_6705.JPG
  • IMG_6706.JPG
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
testing