antoine0000
Accepted Solution

PRIMER MADNESS !!

(0) Hearts

Hullo....

Since the appearance of PRIMERS , everyone seems to be using them-- but do they not understand that it's just a ploy of the industry to get you to spend more without any noticeable benefit ??

Very rare skin types need Primers. Now confess why you use them !

ANTOINE

LadyDragonfire

Re: PRIMER MADNESS !!

(0) Hearts

Antoine0000: I actually am not a fan of foundation primer. I find that it is actually harder for me to apply my foundation evenly with primer than without it. And when I use it with powder foundations (or ones that transfer a lot) I find it doesn't even stop the foundation from transferring that much. So, I am sure I must have the type of skin that doesn't actually require primer. I think my foundation looks fine without it.

In the case of eyeshadow however, I find that using an eyeshadow primer actually does help a lot since I tend to get kind of oily lids, and sometimes some brands of eyeshadow will wear off/slide off (or crease?) without the primer. The only thing I dislike about it is that it also intensifies the color and sometimes I actually don't want that.

missjr

[ Edited ]

I swore that I would never purchase a primer and thought they were just products created to dupe women into spending more money.  However, after years of frustration with foundation that oxidized on me barely 30 minutes after application, I decided to take the plunge.

I heard so many great things about the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and it came highly recommended by reviewers as well as Sephora's experts.  Now that I've used it, I can't imagine not using one.  Not only does my primer make my skin smoother, but it waterproofs my makeup especially during the summer months.  I consider the purchase of a really good foundation primer to be money well spent.

By the way, the first primer of any kind I've ever used was the UD Primer Potion, which was included as a sample with the Naked Palette.  I would never consider using eyeshadow without a primer.  

sephoramusthave

I dont think its right to bash a product that you never even tried. I bought my very first eye primer a few days ago (Too Faced Shadow Insurance) and I absolutely see the difference in how my shadow looks when I use primer. (Thats why I have been using it everyday since I got it) For the longest time I thought that primer was a waste of money as well, most shadows dont really crease on me and I dont have oily skin. But when I use primer, my shadow looks more intense, I use less shadow, and my makeup looks just as fresh by the end of the day as it does when I just applied it. I had a hard time forking over 20 bucks for something that goes on clear, but I am so glad I did. My shadow no longer fades throughout the day so it actually saves me big bucks on shadow because I dont have to keep reapplying my makeup. I have no intention of using face primers but I am a believer in eye primers. I even bought my mom the UD one for her birthday.

shyvicki

Before using eye shadow primer, every eye shadow I used creased like heck thanks to my oily lids. This even included the good brands such as Estee Lauder and Smashbox. With primer, my shadow stays put.

I tried lash primer, but found my mascara didn't coat well with it. My lashes looked gray. Fortunately I've since found a couple mascaras that stay on my lashes.

Since I use lip gloss I've never used a lip primer. I hate heavy lip color so I don't see the need for it.

mangosong

I use primer and I NEED it. My skin is SUPER oily and is keeps my make up from literally sliding off my face. Before I found UD's eye shadow potion, my eye shadow would crease within an hour of me putting it on. As far as the rest of my face, the ONLY way my make up stays on. It will melt off my face otherwise.

I used to think primer was a waste, especially after trying Bare Mineral's primer, but then I found Smashbox Photo Finish Light.

Some skin doesn't need it, but some skin really does need it.

jojobe

I am thinking they are getting carried away now, come on primer for your hair???? Isn't that what cleaning it is for...geeze. Face primer, I am in my mid 30's and I use one everytime I wear makeup. Not tinted moistuizer, but foundation. I used to use Smashbox (pink one) with my Bare Minerals, but I switched to airbrush makeup and found that I always was splotchy looking. Once application of an oil free primer ( Tarte Flawless) and It looks beautiful. I do think there is something to primers, especially if you are looking to target specific problems, such as pore visiblilty or skin texture uneveness. Eye PRIMER... URBAN DECAY...for those who use it, no more is necessary.  What will we see next, body primers for aiding in moisture absorbtion for our skin ...clothing primer, to help them stay on...lol  not a huge fan of the lip primer either. maybe I haven't found the right one.

antoine0000

(0) Hearts

What will we see next, body primers for aiding in moisture absorbtion for our skin ...clothing primer, to help them stay on...lol  not a huge fan of the lip primer either. maybe I haven't found the right one.

=======================================================================

Na,,, I don't buy this primer story.. !  What did people do before there were "Primers" ?  I'm sur they stayed beautiful without them somehow , well keep on doing the same !

Bonne Continuation,

Antoine

dianabt

To be honest, I was that person who hated primer, found them to be a waste of time/ money/effort, there was no point!

That was until I found the Hourglass Primer and my old Smashbox highliter/primer duo. Both made my skin SO smooth looking and really did keep my foundation lasting a lot better. .

So I entirely converted and love primers now! I don't use them everyday (only for a special night out or going out) but they can be a big help (with my experience as an artist I found that primers worked best for those with oily, acne prone or even dry skin types.)

:smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katie1724

I don't use primer on a daily basis because I don't really need it (and I don't like to add an extra layer of product on my skin). However -- I totally agree with Diana that primers are generally very effective and can be a wonderful tool. They are excellent at smoothing the skin and creating an even surface, and I do use them for special occasions (so that my skin looks better), or when I really need my makeup to last.

keelybt

(0) Hearts

@Jojobe Funny you should mention hair primer!  I just added one to my shopping list.  If it can make my stubborn hair keep its style longer..... Have you tried the Too Faced Lip Insurance? That one really works for me :smileyhappy:

Too Faced - Lip Insurance Lip Primer

http://www.sephora.com/lip-insurance-lip-primer-P259615

lylysa

I understand that the cosmetic and beauty industry is suspectable to pushing products that are just fads or trendy for the moment, but primers do serve a purpose.

Even if someone has flawless and immaculate skin, a primer allows for even make up application and longer wear.

I consider myself very lucky and fortunate to have clear skin, that is neither dry or oily, with very few break outs, and not sensitive; however, I still use a primer. I notice my make up looks smoother on my skin, and in cases of eye make up, I don't have to pack on as much eye shadow to get killer pigment payoff.

I like in Houston, where for the Summer, a cool day means 97 degrees, and the usual so far has been in the triple digits. Primers help make up last longer through not only skin factors (dryness, oil, wrinkles, fine lines, pore size, redness, discoloration) but also through external factors (heat, humidtiy, extreme cold).

Eye primers are such a help in terms of helping one blend easier, lay color on better, and prolong wear. One of the key ways to prove this is to swatch an eye shadow on your hand on an area without primer, then swatch a shadow onto an area with primer. Rub the areas and see how the primer grabs and makes the color stick while the side without just fades and smudges unevenly.

I'm not going to say ALL primers are created equal, but the great part is that there's so much variety one can test and see what best serves their skin and needs. Primers, just like all make up, is not a one size fits all type of product, you pick and choose based on preference, needs, and wants.

antoine0000

I am converted dear.

I got a sample of PORE something.... and it makes my face look just as if I had full foundation but w/out the un-natural look !

Thanks... I'll use it next time I go out to see what people say.  It helps soften the look.

Antoine ( CONVERTED PRIMER USER ?)

lylysa

Is it Porefessional by Benefit?

I've noticed that pore size is a BIG BIG BIG factor that can be helped by primers, one time I tried on Bare Minerals (I'm not a fan of it, but I wanted to see what the hype is about, and I'm still not convinced by the product) without primer and my pores looked HUGE! And I've never had an issue with pore size before! I would imagine that it would wear better if I did have a primer under it, but I could only imagine if someone had problem skin and wore BM without a primer and how much they could benefit from it.

antoine0000

(0) Hearts

lylysa wrote:

Is it Porefessional by Benefit?

I've noticed that pore size is a BIG BIG BIG factor that can be helped by primers, one time I tried on Bare Minerals (I'm not a fan of it, but I wanted to see what the hype is about, and I'm still not convinced by the product) without primer and my pores looked HUGE! And I've never had an issue with pore size before! I would imagine that it would wear better if I did have a primer under it, but I could only imagine if someone had problem skin and wore BM without a primer and how much they could benefit from it.

I am going to agree with you--- for problem skin ( and if you say so then with BM also ) you'd need it, but not normally. I think some of them can take the place of foundation actually, no ??  So -- they're over used !!

Thanks Lylysa !

floridab

I don't know how old you are, but if you have older "mature"skin that is on the dry side, a face and eye premier is a must.  Without face primer on dry skin, foundation goes on streaky and it is very hard to blend.  Also most primers helps lock in your moisturizer. I won't apply makeup without primers!

ssmittys

I notice a huge difference since I have started using primers.

I use UD primer potion for my eyes - of all the eye primers out there, this is the one that keeps my eye makeup on for my entire shift (13-16 hours at a time in a hospital) and keeps the shadows from creasing. There have been times where I have unintentionally fallen asleep with eye makeup on and I will wake up with it still looking flawless.

For my face I use the Hourglass primer, and it makes ALL of my face makeup waterproof and sweatproof. I'm vain, I like to look good at work and at the pool. This primer helps me do that because without it, my face makeup is GONE in a matter of 4 hours.

sportygirly

I only use face and eye primer.  I use face primer because it makes my foundation or powder last longer.  I use eye primer to prevent my eyeshadow from creasing.  I noticed my makeup stays on longer and looks nicer with primer.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 39 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • mangosong
    • ssmittys
    • sephoramusthave
    • shyvicki