nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

Urbie

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

Whoo!  Have a fun party, and celebrating being able to feel more normal in every day life soon!!  :start rant: I also got the "you are too young to have anything serious wrong down there, it only hurts in your head" speech for years (and one really fantastic doctor who kept putting me on antibiotics because in her opinion the pain could only be from bladder infections), and it was only when I got a new GYN and was like, yeah my fiance and I want to have kids in the next 3-5 years and oh also, EVERYTHING HURTS that she was like, okay, well, since it can cause problems with fertility, let's take a look.  

Grrr...so my health and pain are a non issue unless I want to have babies?  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  They are finding endo is increasingly common in young women, so I have no idea why doctors are so resistant to checking for it.  A laparoscopy is hardly a major procedure at this point. /end rant.

Anyways, maybe your PCP or GYN can help you with any prescription medication for the acne after surgery?  While your PCP is not a dermatologist, most of them are at least able to give basic medication advice on skin problems, including acne.  When I was a teen, my PCP gave me several acne prescriptions that helped a lot, and I never needed to see a dermatologist.  :smileyhappy:  Also, Glamglow in the black jar is sooo great, I love the exfoliation and blackhead clearing power.

m3rma1d

OH! Good idea about the gyn giving me something, I will mention it to her at the pre-op appt.

lyndsey

Man, boo on docs who say it's all in your head. Here doc,  let me punch you in the junk and you tell me if it hurts!

Bummer on not having a derma covered. I'm so glad my insurance does. It helps that my derma is super cool and gives me tons of samples when I say I'm going on vacation. 

There are definitely products out there that have retinol in them, though, and rumor is some drugstore products (some of the Olay ones) are actually really good with the retinol. I would check out some of the Allure magazine reports on those- if I didn't have coverage, I'd be all over it. 

lyndsey

hey girl, 

just wanted to support you with the hysterectomy- I had to get one 7 years ago (I was only 32!) after my youngest son was born. Gross story short, it totally malfunctioned and had to go. Unfortunately my skin got worse- I still have my ovaries and now I can't take bc pills because of the hysterectomy, so yay, totally unregulated hormones. 

Anyway, Retin A has been a life saver for me. If you have bumps on your jawline/chin/neck, those are totally hormonal, and you should get on over to a dermatologist and get some help! 

sunny63

Jumping in here to agree with you. Many moons ago, I had a hysterectomy & salpingo-oophorectomy (at 29, thanks endometriosis). I too found that my skin got worse, probably due to unregulated hormones. A combo of Retin A & a few years has helped control the cystic acne. I can't bring myself to say 'cured' because if I get too cocky it might come back. 😨

Glad to hear a dermatologist helped you too.

love2shop42

Whenever, I have a pimple that needs to be treated, I use a nicotinamide cream that I saw on the Dr. Oz show, just google it, it has worked wonders for me, hopefully  it can work for you and others. The study below sheds some light as to the effectiveness.

Topical nicotinamide compared with clindamycin gel in the treatment of inflammatory acne vulgaris.
Shalita AR1, Smith JG, Parish LC, Sofman MS, Chalker DK.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Systemic and topical antimicrobials are effective in the treatment of inflammatory acne vulgaris; however, widespread use of these agents is becoming increasingly associated with the emergence of resistant pathogens raising concerns about microorganism resistance and highlighting the need for alternative nonantimicrobial agents for the treatment of acne. Nicotinamide gel provides potent antiinflammatory activity without the risk of inducing bacterial resistance.
METHODS:
In our double-blind investigation, the safety and efficacy of topically applied 4% nicotinamide gel was compared to 1% clindamycin gel for the treatment of moderate inflammatory acne vulgaris. Seventy-six patients were randomly assigned to apply either 4% nicotinamide gel (n = 38) or 1% clindamycin gel (n = 38) twice daily for 8 weeks. Efficacy was evaluated at 4 and 8 weeks using a Physician's Global Evaluation, Acne Lesion Counts, and an Acne Severity Rating.
RESULTS:
After 8 weeks, both treatments produced comparable (P = 0.19) beneficial results in the Physician's Global Evaluation of Inflammatory Acne; 82% of the patients treated with nicotinamide gel and 68% treated with clindamycin gel were improved. Both treatments produced statistically similar reductions in acne lesions (papules/pustules; -60%, nicotinamide vs. -43%, clindamycin, P = 0.168), and acne severity (-52% nicotinamide group vs. -38% clindamycin group, P = 0.161).
CONCLUSIONS:
These data demonstrate that 4% nicotinamide gel is of comparable efficacy to 1% clindamycin gel in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Because topical clindamycin, like other antimicrobials, is associated with emergence of resistant microorganisms, nicotinamide gel is a desirable alternative treatment for acne vulgaris.

BrennaBombshell

I know this is old, but I did a search and this looked like the most recent post about it, and I'm far too ashamed of myself to start my own thread. *hides*

I rarely get breakouts, but I do get occasional pimples here and there, and when I do, I CAN NOT leave them alone. I pick at them all day, every day, until they go away completely. I've had a spot by my nose for like a month because I just can't stop aggravating it. 

The only thing I've found that helps is biting all my nails off so I don't have a way to pick (which I don't want to do, I like having fingernails!) or avoiding mirrors, which I CAN'T do, as I run a beauty blog and have to keep it updated! 

What do you do after you've picked one away? Do you put Neosporin on it? Just leave it alone? Pick it some more? 

And what do you do to stop?

HELP.

jojobe

I use a product called silvershield gel made by Nature's Sunshine which uses nanosilver as an antibacterial / antiviral blocker and it is usually healed in a day or 2. I pick when I am very stressed( like lately) and I have a hard time just sitting here I feel my face and I just pick without a mirror. I really hate it and I hate when I get like this. 

chupi

After I pick, I put a spot treatment on immediately to help dry it out. I use Effaclar Duo.

missrmessner

Chupi, I do the same thing, but with the white Glamglow mask. It really pulls off of the gunk out of the spot that (sorry to say it) oozes after it's been picked.

chupi

(0) Hearts

Miss, I love the white Glamglow for when I get spots!

BrennaBombshell

(0) Hearts

It doesn't irritate the picked spot?

neko333

I've had issues with this is well, it's mainly caused by stress/boredom. Once I realized this I've done much better with it. For me I always pick at the end of the day when I wash my face. I noticed this and now I wash my face with only the night light on in the bathroom. Light enough I can see what I'm doing, but not bright enough to see anything to pick at. I really suggest people try it. I never pick when I'm getting dressed because I'm in a rush/don't want a big red spot. So by doing this I eliminated 90% of my chance to pick. As far as skincare goes I'm obsessed with Yes to Tomatoes as it has been the only over the counter product worth the money. Right now I have the cleanser, body wash, and mask. The cleanser is horrible for removing makeup but seems to be good at preventing bumps. The body wash seems to help, however I would avoid using this on your legs as mine became dry. The mask is the best thing ever, they sell single use masks of it so I urge you to try it! Reduces redness, dries up bumps over night, seems to be healing as well. I sometimes use it as a spot treatment and sleep with it on. I've ordered their kit online which I'm currently waiting for, it has the spot stick, a scrub, and a moisturizer. 

DrWould

(0) Hearts

I haven't needed to pick since I bought Biore's acne clearing scrub. It took care of my acne and now all I have left are scars because I used to pick at my pimples all the time. Can't wait until the scars go away so I can have nice skin! 

arielaaaaaaaa

Just wanted to Update.

I hope everyone who was having picking issues has found a way to stop :smileyhappy:

I haven't picked my face at all like i used to! It's been about a month since i stopped! And I only did once this month when things got kind of stressful. But i've been soooo good at not even thinking about picking at my skin! It's wonderful! Now to take care of the pesky dark spots left behind!

crayzeeRN

I've been a little bad recently... but that's because I finally got these little bumps that have been sitting under my skin on my jawline (tiny little whiteheads that wouldn't surface) to finally surface. Apparently all it needed was a little salicylic acid... regardless, I've been popping those like crazy so that my skin will finally smooth out on my chin. Otherwise I've been good! I still can't resist popping little whiteheads that are right on the surface, but I refuse to poke the ones that are not at the surface, and I've stopped poking at my pores with a needle (wince). Little steps!

I've also discovered that the concealer I've been using for probably about a year is most likely aggravating my acne... switched to the Tarte Maracuja Concealer and seeing much better skin!

arielaaaaaaaa

Ah i wish the whiteheads i had on my chin would go away!! I use a Salicylic Acid treatment on my face every other night and they still don't improve. But they aren't very noticeable. Unless someone was really looking at my chin, So i don't worry too much about them!

crayzeeRN

Yeah these sit right on my jawline, and to me, make the surface of my skin there look really gross and uneven. Those little bumps sat there for a good 2-3 months (no idea what caused it) without surfacing which was driving me NUTS. I exfoliated, used masks, treatments- nothing worked. Thankfully, Birchbox sent me a sample of DDF's Acne Control Treatment, and literally after one night of use, these suckers started to surface! I'm kind of obsessed with this product now, will be purchasing in full size! (Darn you, Birchbox!)

DDFAcneTreatment1.jpg

Spyski

Congrats on the no-picking for a month! I've been getting better myself except for the occasional "sweat pimple".

Also, the acne along your jawline are more and likely caused by hormones. Atleast that's what most dermatologists rule out with acne occurring around the jawline. Maybe it will clear up in a couple days? If not, you can use either a sulfur spot treatment like Bye Bye Blemish (surfaced white heads), or Neutrogena On The Spot with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (unsurfaced / closed comedones). I had some closed white heads on my cheeks a couple weeks ago, and saw rave reviews about the on the spot treatment which is like 6 bucks at Walmart, so I snagged a tube and massaged a dime size amount on both cheeks at night. I woke up the following morning with smoother skin but was a little red since I was a newcomer with benz. peroxide because my skin wasn't used to it. Gladly, I got the 2.5% and not the 10% I almost put in my buggy! It was drying, BUT a good moisturizer fixed that right up! I never thought a drugstore product can be an easy fix for the skin. Also, if you're going to try it out please don't use benz. peroxide on a regular basis, it can be very damaging. It's great for spot treatment or a cluster of white heads that aren't yet surfaced though! Then after they clear up in about a day, you can go back to your regular salicylic acid cleanser. Oh, and I used a gentle cleanser when I did the benzo treatment which was you and I's favorite....Soap and Glory 3-1! :smileyhappy:

crayzeeRN

Yeah, I researched the heck out of jawline pimples when they started frustrating me. Oddly, though, I've never had them before. My chin seems to be more of my hormonal area (for me at least). Thankfully, I'm about to start back on hormonal birth control (once I stop being lazy and take my prescription to the drug store), which used to help my acne a ton when I used to take it. Not that I have bad acne, it's pretty mild as it goes, but with all the stress I've been under lately it's been worse than normal.

This is actually the first time I've tried salicylic acid in years. I used to think it did absolutely nothing for my acne, but apparently I was wrong! I've been considering trying benzoyl peroxide as well, thank you for the suggestions- I will check them out! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

It's really weird how skin changes over time and stuff that used to work no longer does, or vice versa.  For me, salicylic acid doesn't work well but benzoyl peroxide does.  Sadly after experimenting over the last six months, I think benzoyl peroxide is the ONLY thing that works for me as a preventive measure :smileysad:  I hate all the bleaching of my towels and pillowcases though :smileysad:

The other thing I've discovered that works great for me for making things surface is a sulfur spot treatment.  Kate Sommervilla Eradicate, Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and Bye Bye Blemish are all similar sulfur spot treatments that you just dot on each bump and leave on overnight.  

What I found works for me after a lot of experimentation is using benzoyl peroxide daily as a preventive treatment, then the sulfur spot treatment for the ones that do show up, then glycolic acid to treat and lighten the scars left behind.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 152 replies
  • 306 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • dannyc
    • sls35
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi