nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

Spyski

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

That is exactly my routine when dealing with my acne! Although, the glycolic acid sometimes irritates my skin but only to be brighter after a couple hours so its worth the redness that occurs at first. Salicylic acid on-the-spot treatment doesn't do much for me, but I do like the Murad Time Release as my nightly cleanser. It's a gentle acne cleanser that also has anti-aging benefits.

jennypenny1995

Approaching 4 months of not picking and remain BLEMISH-FREE!  For the first time in a very long time, I actually didn't run & hide when we had a visitor who came over after I'd taken my makeup off.  yay!!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh i can't wait till the acne scars go away and i can do that!! I hate unexpected visitors cause when i am at home i don't wear makeup. 

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

@kimmi1115 - I just saw aloe-infused socks at Wal-Mart yesterday.  I didn't stop to look at them.  I'm guessing they are for wearing overnight.  They were really cute, lots of multi-colored pairs to choose from.  But what happens when you wash them, I don't know!

wingatprsct

Yes, I know......I'm not supposed to pick!  But sometimes those large red bumps that hurt, I try to leave them alone for a day or two to come to a head.  But they really don't seem to start healing until after I have "released" the sebum (to put it nicely).  I wait until after I shower, my hands are clean, and I have put a warm compress for several minutes on the spot.  If I don't get anything with a little pressure, I leave it alone and try again another day.  But if I am successful, I apply an aloe rich first-aid lotion from Aloette on the spot for a day or two and it disappears rather quickly with no scarring.  In the past, I would have started picking on day one, but I have gained some self-control over the years (at 49)!

My goal is to prevent them in the first place.  I find products that work for my skin (Smashbox Oil-Free Primer and Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream) but then I get all those great free samples from Sephora!  I try to limit myself to trying only one new product at a time.  It may take a year to use up what I have now!

I have also put a package of facial cleaning wipes by may bed for those nights I am too tired to wash my face.  Sleeping in makeup is just a recipe for disaster the next morning.

I wonder if I'll still have pimples at 60?!!!!!!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

My Avon order came in the other day, and I tried out some of the Foot Works products I ordered yesterday.  With regular use (which means I need to make time and remember lol), I believe the products will make a difference!  My feet felt better after I used them, too.  I have a lavender foot soak which left my feet soft and relaxed, and thermal exfoilator to remove the light parts of dead skin, a daily moisturizing, and a deep moisturizer for night time.  

arielaaaaaaaa

So i think i finally have my picking under control!! And my skin has definitely thanked me for it. It feels so much better and my breakouts are getting better, scars are lightening up. It's so worth it even though it's extremely hard!! I did pick at one spot that i can never leave alone, and i regretted it soooo much! I hope every one is improving on their issues, whether picking their face, cuticles, or anything else!

nebel

Yay!  I wish you continued success!

kimmi1115

That is awesome news!!!!  Congratulations!!!  

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Thanks @Kimmi115, and @Nebel!

sls35

(0) Hearts

The funny thing is I have been very good about not picking at my skin. Idk why I just have never really been a picker. But my boyfriend on the other hand he is a really bad picker. And as soon as he sees that I have a pimple or a blackhead he absolutely has to pop it! it is so irritating and frustrating because I tell him that he is causing damage to my skin. But he does it anyways! I don't mind if he pops the blackheads since that is like the only way I can seem to get rid of them. But if he pops a pimple it stays red for like two weeks! So any suggestions on what products to use to help eliminate blackheads or pimples would be awesome! haha

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

my husband just caught me picking a few hours ago. I went in the bathroom to look at a mosquito bite that I got on my shoulder. He was cooking in the other room so I looked in the mirror and saw a zit that needed to be picked on my forehead. But that was the ONLY one that needed to be picked. 20 minutes later he comes in and is like "what are you doing? you need to stop". I'm bummed because I feel like I have been doing really well with not picking unecessarily lately. Guess I still need to cover the mirror - darn mosquito bite started it!

I almost feel like I enter into a haze when I pick... like I loose track of time and get so fixated on the next elated feeling from when I extract something.

kimmi1115

You're exactly right about going into a haze.   I'm like that with my feet, but not so much by mosquito bites.  I'm too busy scratching at the bites and complaining about my hatred for mosquitoes lol.

nebel

I know this feeling too.  It's like you wake up all the sudden and you're bleeding and standing in front of the mirror going "WTF just happened?"

roxystar4

the mosquito bite was just what led me to the picking. It was going into the bathroom with a mirror at night to look at the mosquito bite but then I looked up at my face and saw a zit... and it all spiraled from there.  

Mosquitoes are evil

DTalksAll

yup, I enter that haze too! Eyeballing a mosquito bite & 30 minutes later you're still in front of the mirror with a red, angry face. I guess you should be thankful he caught you before you could do more damage? 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

@dannyc you are right- i should be thankful. Crazy thing is, when he confronts me, my knee-jerk reaction is getting mad and always like "just this last one". 

DTalksAll

@roxystar4 I hear you. When I get caught & hear "What are you doing" I get mad & frustrated; mad that I'm picking, frustrated/embarrassed I got caught. My punishment... he goes for my back & "helps me". My bacne are so painful. I use the Murad spray, and wipe my chest & back with toner, after I use the pad on my face, but I still have breakouts. 

Spyski

@dannyc, you use the murad spray and it's not clearing up? :smileysad:

DTalksAll

I still get some. I workout a lot, and even if I shower right away, I still get breakouts. I have them on my chest too, but they aren't as bad. I think part of it is I have long hair (past my bra strap), but I still get them in the winter even when I'm covered up. I exfoliate my chest & back with the PTR blemish buffing beads & use the Murad spray :smileysad: 

Spyski

Aw that's too bad, atleast you're staying fit by working out alot! :smileyhappy:

I wish I could give better advice on an acne body spray, but unfortunately I don't have much experience with it other than the Murad which has been working for my upper back.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 152 replies
  • 306 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi