nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

chupi

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

(0) Hearts

Miss, I love the white Glamglow for when I get spots!

BrennaBombshell

(0) Hearts

It doesn't irritate the picked spot?

neko333

I've had issues with this is well, it's mainly caused by stress/boredom. Once I realized this I've done much better with it. For me I always pick at the end of the day when I wash my face. I noticed this and now I wash my face with only the night light on in the bathroom. Light enough I can see what I'm doing, but not bright enough to see anything to pick at. I really suggest people try it. I never pick when I'm getting dressed because I'm in a rush/don't want a big red spot. So by doing this I eliminated 90% of my chance to pick. As far as skincare goes I'm obsessed with Yes to Tomatoes as it has been the only over the counter product worth the money. Right now I have the cleanser, body wash, and mask. The cleanser is horrible for removing makeup but seems to be good at preventing bumps. The body wash seems to help, however I would avoid using this on your legs as mine became dry. The mask is the best thing ever, they sell single use masks of it so I urge you to try it! Reduces redness, dries up bumps over night, seems to be healing as well. I sometimes use it as a spot treatment and sleep with it on. I've ordered their kit online which I'm currently waiting for, it has the spot stick, a scrub, and a moisturizer. 

DrWould

(0) Hearts

I haven't needed to pick since I bought Biore's acne clearing scrub. It took care of my acne and now all I have left are scars because I used to pick at my pimples all the time. Can't wait until the scars go away so I can have nice skin! 

arielaaaaaaaa

Just wanted to Update.

I hope everyone who was having picking issues has found a way to stop :smileyhappy:

I haven't picked my face at all like i used to! It's been about a month since i stopped! And I only did once this month when things got kind of stressful. But i've been soooo good at not even thinking about picking at my skin! It's wonderful! Now to take care of the pesky dark spots left behind!

crayzeeRN

I've been a little bad recently... but that's because I finally got these little bumps that have been sitting under my skin on my jawline (tiny little whiteheads that wouldn't surface) to finally surface. Apparently all it needed was a little salicylic acid... regardless, I've been popping those like crazy so that my skin will finally smooth out on my chin. Otherwise I've been good! I still can't resist popping little whiteheads that are right on the surface, but I refuse to poke the ones that are not at the surface, and I've stopped poking at my pores with a needle (wince). Little steps!

I've also discovered that the concealer I've been using for probably about a year is most likely aggravating my acne... switched to the Tarte Maracuja Concealer and seeing much better skin!

arielaaaaaaaa

Ah i wish the whiteheads i had on my chin would go away!! I use a Salicylic Acid treatment on my face every other night and they still don't improve. But they aren't very noticeable. Unless someone was really looking at my chin, So i don't worry too much about them!

crayzeeRN

Yeah these sit right on my jawline, and to me, make the surface of my skin there look really gross and uneven. Those little bumps sat there for a good 2-3 months (no idea what caused it) without surfacing which was driving me NUTS. I exfoliated, used masks, treatments- nothing worked. Thankfully, Birchbox sent me a sample of DDF's Acne Control Treatment, and literally after one night of use, these suckers started to surface! I'm kind of obsessed with this product now, will be purchasing in full size! (Darn you, Birchbox!)

DDFAcneTreatment1.jpg

malday

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I wish Sephora still carried DDF, I used to love their brightening cleanser.

Spyski

Congrats on the no-picking for a month! I've been getting better myself except for the occasional "sweat pimple".

Also, the acne along your jawline are more and likely caused by hormones. Atleast that's what most dermatologists rule out with acne occurring around the jawline. Maybe it will clear up in a couple days? If not, you can use either a sulfur spot treatment like Bye Bye Blemish (surfaced white heads), or Neutrogena On The Spot with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (unsurfaced / closed comedones). I had some closed white heads on my cheeks a couple weeks ago, and saw rave reviews about the on the spot treatment which is like 6 bucks at Walmart, so I snagged a tube and massaged a dime size amount on both cheeks at night. I woke up the following morning with smoother skin but was a little red since I was a newcomer with benz. peroxide because my skin wasn't used to it. Gladly, I got the 2.5% and not the 10% I almost put in my buggy! It was drying, BUT a good moisturizer fixed that right up! I never thought a drugstore product can be an easy fix for the skin. Also, if you're going to try it out please don't use benz. peroxide on a regular basis, it can be very damaging. It's great for spot treatment or a cluster of white heads that aren't yet surfaced though! Then after they clear up in about a day, you can go back to your regular salicylic acid cleanser. Oh, and I used a gentle cleanser when I did the benzo treatment which was you and I's favorite....Soap and Glory 3-1! :smileyhappy:

crayzeeRN

Yeah, I researched the heck out of jawline pimples when they started frustrating me. Oddly, though, I've never had them before. My chin seems to be more of my hormonal area (for me at least). Thankfully, I'm about to start back on hormonal birth control (once I stop being lazy and take my prescription to the drug store), which used to help my acne a ton when I used to take it. Not that I have bad acne, it's pretty mild as it goes, but with all the stress I've been under lately it's been worse than normal.

This is actually the first time I've tried salicylic acid in years. I used to think it did absolutely nothing for my acne, but apparently I was wrong! I've been considering trying benzoyl peroxide as well, thank you for the suggestions- I will check them out! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

It's really weird how skin changes over time and stuff that used to work no longer does, or vice versa.  For me, salicylic acid doesn't work well but benzoyl peroxide does.  Sadly after experimenting over the last six months, I think benzoyl peroxide is the ONLY thing that works for me as a preventive measure :smileysad:  I hate all the bleaching of my towels and pillowcases though :smileysad:

The other thing I've discovered that works great for me for making things surface is a sulfur spot treatment.  Kate Sommervilla Eradicate, Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and Bye Bye Blemish are all similar sulfur spot treatments that you just dot on each bump and leave on overnight.  

What I found works for me after a lot of experimentation is using benzoyl peroxide daily as a preventive treatment, then the sulfur spot treatment for the ones that do show up, then glycolic acid to treat and lighten the scars left behind.

Spyski

That is exactly my routine when dealing with my acne! Although, the glycolic acid sometimes irritates my skin but only to be brighter after a couple hours so its worth the redness that occurs at first. Salicylic acid on-the-spot treatment doesn't do much for me, but I do like the Murad Time Release as my nightly cleanser. It's a gentle acne cleanser that also has anti-aging benefits.

jennypenny1995

Approaching 4 months of not picking and remain BLEMISH-FREE!  For the first time in a very long time, I actually didn't run & hide when we had a visitor who came over after I'd taken my makeup off.  yay!!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh i can't wait till the acne scars go away and i can do that!! I hate unexpected visitors cause when i am at home i don't wear makeup. 

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

@kimmi1115 - I just saw aloe-infused socks at Wal-Mart yesterday.  I didn't stop to look at them.  I'm guessing they are for wearing overnight.  They were really cute, lots of multi-colored pairs to choose from.  But what happens when you wash them, I don't know!

wingatprsct

Yes, I know......I'm not supposed to pick!  But sometimes those large red bumps that hurt, I try to leave them alone for a day or two to come to a head.  But they really don't seem to start healing until after I have "released" the sebum (to put it nicely).  I wait until after I shower, my hands are clean, and I have put a warm compress for several minutes on the spot.  If I don't get anything with a little pressure, I leave it alone and try again another day.  But if I am successful, I apply an aloe rich first-aid lotion from Aloette on the spot for a day or two and it disappears rather quickly with no scarring.  In the past, I would have started picking on day one, but I have gained some self-control over the years (at 49)!

My goal is to prevent them in the first place.  I find products that work for my skin (Smashbox Oil-Free Primer and Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream) but then I get all those great free samples from Sephora!  I try to limit myself to trying only one new product at a time.  It may take a year to use up what I have now!

I have also put a package of facial cleaning wipes by may bed for those nights I am too tired to wash my face.  Sleeping in makeup is just a recipe for disaster the next morning.

I wonder if I'll still have pimples at 60?!!!!!!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

My Avon order came in the other day, and I tried out some of the Foot Works products I ordered yesterday.  With regular use (which means I need to make time and remember lol), I believe the products will make a difference!  My feet felt better after I used them, too.  I have a lavender foot soak which left my feet soft and relaxed, and thermal exfoilator to remove the light parts of dead skin, a daily moisturizing, and a deep moisturizer for night time.  

arielaaaaaaaa

So i think i finally have my picking under control!! And my skin has definitely thanked me for it. It feels so much better and my breakouts are getting better, scars are lightening up. It's so worth it even though it's extremely hard!! I did pick at one spot that i can never leave alone, and i regretted it soooo much! I hope every one is improving on their issues, whether picking their face, cuticles, or anything else!

nebel

Yay!  I wish you continued success!

kimmi1115

That is awesome news!!!!  Congratulations!!!  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 164 replies
  • 313 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold