nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

arielaaaaaaaa

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

(0) Hearts

Thanks @Kimmi115, and @Nebel!

sls35

(0) Hearts

The funny thing is I have been very good about not picking at my skin. Idk why I just have never really been a picker. But my boyfriend on the other hand he is a really bad picker. And as soon as he sees that I have a pimple or a blackhead he absolutely has to pop it! it is so irritating and frustrating because I tell him that he is causing damage to my skin. But he does it anyways! I don't mind if he pops the blackheads since that is like the only way I can seem to get rid of them. But if he pops a pimple it stays red for like two weeks! So any suggestions on what products to use to help eliminate blackheads or pimples would be awesome! haha

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

my husband just caught me picking a few hours ago. I went in the bathroom to look at a mosquito bite that I got on my shoulder. He was cooking in the other room so I looked in the mirror and saw a zit that needed to be picked on my forehead. But that was the ONLY one that needed to be picked. 20 minutes later he comes in and is like "what are you doing? you need to stop". I'm bummed because I feel like I have been doing really well with not picking unecessarily lately. Guess I still need to cover the mirror - darn mosquito bite started it!

I almost feel like I enter into a haze when I pick... like I loose track of time and get so fixated on the next elated feeling from when I extract something.

kimmi1115

You're exactly right about going into a haze.   I'm like that with my feet, but not so much by mosquito bites.  I'm too busy scratching at the bites and complaining about my hatred for mosquitoes lol.

nebel

I know this feeling too.  It's like you wake up all the sudden and you're bleeding and standing in front of the mirror going "WTF just happened?"

roxystar4

the mosquito bite was just what led me to the picking. It was going into the bathroom with a mirror at night to look at the mosquito bite but then I looked up at my face and saw a zit... and it all spiraled from there.  

Mosquitoes are evil

DTalksAll

yup, I enter that haze too! Eyeballing a mosquito bite & 30 minutes later you're still in front of the mirror with a red, angry face. I guess you should be thankful he caught you before you could do more damage? 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

@dannyc you are right- i should be thankful. Crazy thing is, when he confronts me, my knee-jerk reaction is getting mad and always like "just this last one". 

DTalksAll

@roxystar4 I hear you. When I get caught & hear "What are you doing" I get mad & frustrated; mad that I'm picking, frustrated/embarrassed I got caught. My punishment... he goes for my back & "helps me". My bacne are so painful. I use the Murad spray, and wipe my chest & back with toner, after I use the pad on my face, but I still have breakouts. 

Spyski

@dannyc, you use the murad spray and it's not clearing up? :smileysad:

DTalksAll

I still get some. I workout a lot, and even if I shower right away, I still get breakouts. I have them on my chest too, but they aren't as bad. I think part of it is I have long hair (past my bra strap), but I still get them in the winter even when I'm covered up. I exfoliate my chest & back with the PTR blemish buffing beads & use the Murad spray :smileysad: 

Spyski

Aw that's too bad, atleast you're staying fit by working out alot! :smileyhappy:

I wish I could give better advice on an acne body spray, but unfortunately I don't have much experience with it other than the Murad which has been working for my upper back.

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

@dannyc- do you use body wash before or after rinsing out your conditioner? I discovered the oils in my conditioner were causing a lot of acne, and once I switched to using body wash after the conditioner was rinsed out, I saw a huge difference.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

@crazyRN, yup I do that. I'm wondering if maybe when I comb my hair out is the issue. I use argan oil as a detangler & already know that my face doesn't like it... hmmmmm.... 

crayzeeRN

@dannyc- Ahhh, that might be the culprit. I have to be careful about wiping my back off after I spray product in my hair after I shower as well.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

I get in that daze too! Just staring and finding something to pick...not tonight though! no way jose!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

good work Spyski! avoid the mirror & picking.  I always get disappointed in myself after picking a lot :smileysad:

nebel

I wish my picking was confined to the mirror that I could avoid... it isn't (though that does save my face!)  Right now i'm still struggling with my cuticles and biting my cheeks.  My mouth is in pain from biting yesterday--- I was very anxious and not really focusing on what I was doing and... whoops.... it's a mess.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

try chewing gum when your stressed. I'm a mint girl, but if I'll chew gum when I'm stressed out to save my cheeks. 

pinklissamel

Oh man I though I was alone on this thank goodness i'm not the only one. I have resorted to having to leave the bathroom door open when im in there washing my face and doing my daily routing so I dont get sidetracted so I dont get closed in there and cause more damage. I have to tell my husband whne im in there doing makeup or brushing my teeth that i need a shaperone so I can get out of ther with out picking.

michelyn318

I am 49 years old and still get occasional breakouts. Even though I've told my teen daughter repeatedly not to pick her face (and she doesn't) I just can't help myself from trying to squeeze a pimple (to make it "better") and digging a hole in my face. I did this just two weeks ago on my forehead and had to wear a baseball cap all weekend because I made such a mess. If anyone has advice as to how to resist the urge to pick, please tell me. I don't have the willpower!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 164 replies
  • 313 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold