nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

crayzeeRN

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

(0) Hearts

@dannyc- do you use body wash before or after rinsing out your conditioner? I discovered the oils in my conditioner were causing a lot of acne, and once I switched to using body wash after the conditioner was rinsed out, I saw a huge difference.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

@crazyRN, yup I do that. I'm wondering if maybe when I comb my hair out is the issue. I use argan oil as a detangler & already know that my face doesn't like it... hmmmmm.... 

crayzeeRN

@dannyc- Ahhh, that might be the culprit. I have to be careful about wiping my back off after I spray product in my hair after I shower as well.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

I get in that daze too! Just staring and finding something to pick...not tonight though! no way jose!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

good work Spyski! avoid the mirror & picking.  I always get disappointed in myself after picking a lot :smileysad:

nebel

I wish my picking was confined to the mirror that I could avoid... it isn't (though that does save my face!)  Right now i'm still struggling with my cuticles and biting my cheeks.  My mouth is in pain from biting yesterday--- I was very anxious and not really focusing on what I was doing and... whoops.... it's a mess.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

try chewing gum when your stressed. I'm a mint girl, but if I'll chew gum when I'm stressed out to save my cheeks. 

pinklissamel

Oh man I though I was alone on this thank goodness i'm not the only one. I have resorted to having to leave the bathroom door open when im in there washing my face and doing my daily routing so I dont get sidetracted so I dont get closed in there and cause more damage. I have to tell my husband whne im in there doing makeup or brushing my teeth that i need a shaperone so I can get out of ther with out picking.

michelyn318

I am 49 years old and still get occasional breakouts. Even though I've told my teen daughter repeatedly not to pick her face (and she doesn't) I just can't help myself from trying to squeeze a pimple (to make it "better") and digging a hole in my face. I did this just two weeks ago on my forehead and had to wear a baseball cap all weekend because I made such a mess. If anyone has advice as to how to resist the urge to pick, please tell me. I don't have the willpower!

roxystar4

michelyn318  while I still pick every few days, I feel like i have been doing better about not picking every little thing.  What I do is put stickies up that explain why i shouldnt pick. I also cover my mirror at night.  I try to avoid the bathroom or mirrors when I am emotional, tired, stressed, upset, or hungry. My husband also tries to help me if I am picking he comes in and tells me to stop in a loving way (most of the time). I feel like all of these things have been helping for me. I have def been picking less the past few months.

janinebt

I just recently got two new tattoos and find the urge to pick at them to be oh-so-tempting. I find that keeping them moisturized helps a ton, which can be used in the case of may of these picking situations.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
crayzeeRN

If it isn't too personal, what did you get?

DTalksAll

Update... It's my hormonal time & I haven't seen anything pop up on my chin. - Is the gentle REN ClearCalm 3 Clay cleanser working? That doesn't make much sense since hormonal is internal. Oh well NO CYSTS this week for me :smileyhappy: (watch one will creep up tomorrow) 

I've been stressed, I have a big week next week (putting on an international soccer tournament this week's our bucket list week) So my forehead is covered in pimples (my stress zone). I created a crater last week, just dug & dug but I left it alone to heal! No picking at the scab. & I may have attacked a small one that was ready to pop. 

I'm really kicking myself for messing with a milia on my cheek. It looked like it was close to the surface, but he wasn't ready :smileysad: My gentle probing made him angry & now I have another red mark on my cheek that will take months to heal. If I just waited one day, ONE DAY, he would have came out cleanly. 

I have to be honest. It's been weeks since we moved, but I still haven't unpacked everything, including my magnified mirror. That has really helped decrease my picking. If I can't see it 2 feet away then it doesn't bother me. 

StarlingE2013

YW :smileyhappy: If you haven't tried the black mask I know that you will love it. I've tried different masks but the black mask is the best :smileyhappy:

StarlingE2013

[ Edited ]

My daughter has really bad acne and I decided to get the 3 in 1 Extractor in the Sephora collection. The problem with picking is that you are putting oils an dirt into the affected area so its not good to use your fingers, because your nails have bacteria etc. Try boiling some water and place the pot on a table and put a towel over your head to open up your pours then use the 3 in 1 Extractor to clean your pours. You will notice that the black heads come out easy without damaging your skin with your nails. After you clean your face use cold water to close your pours and wait an hour then moisturize. Make sure that you clean your tools every time. I always have her use a brush to apply her foundation so that her fingers are not in her face & I have her clean her makeup brushes daily too & it also helps cover her blemishes better. Her face is almost cleared up but she still has some teenage breakouts here and there but her skin looks so much better. Along with this also use a good skin care system such as Philosophy Clear day ahead or whatever you prefer. When she doesn't leave the house she just cleans her face and moisturizes also the Black mask is also an awesome prodoct for blackheads and giving making your skin feel good. Hope this helps.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

thank you for sharing your skin care tips. Ive been wanting to try that Black Mask! :smileyhappy:

I think that some of us (myself included) on this thread have good skin care routines/products, but struggle more with compulsive picking.  It is more of a OCD thing than not knowing how to care for our skin correctly. 

arielaaaaaaaa

So it's been like 5 days since i have picked at my face!! And it looks sooooo much better!!! My crazy breakout is going away. And i did everything i could to resist the urge!! Even if it meant picking at my nail polish!!

Spyski

Congrats on your week of no pick'n!

I used an enzyme peel then squeezed my nose last night to watch all the black heads come out. I feel bad for cheating the no pick'n support, oh well maybe next time. 

jennypenny1995

Good for you!  Isn't it amazing how it's WORTH IT to leave things alone to have so much more confidence and so much more time when you're not having to spackle things up.  So wished I'd done this years ago!

crayzeeRN

I'm actually doing a little better too! I kept reading in this thread about how much better everyone's faces look when they don't pop/pick and it is keeping me motivated to stop!

arielaaaaaaaa

Ahh looking at this thread helps!! I did pop one pimple but it was legit ready to come out. I did not want that huge bump on my face when i was going out to dinner! But other than that i was totally good! I hope everyone who participated in this thread finds a way to stop their bad habit!! It's so worth it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 152 replies
  • 306 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi