nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

roxystar4

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

my husband hates it when I try to pick his acne. He literally gets mad at me. He says that there are two things we fight about 1. his family (my in-laws) 2. picking

LolaVal

Heehee... Oh dear, in-laws and picking - these are my troubles too! Perhaps we have to start an in-laws support thread!!!

roxystar4

@LolaVal   i thought people made up in-law issues... then i got married

LolaVal

[ Edited ]

@roxystar4 - you are too funny!!!  My thoughts exactly!  I got married last September and boy oh boy!  There's always something new to deal with.

nebel

My husband also gets very mad at me when I try to pick at him. and oh, do I ever try.

Spyski

lol oh the in-laws...

the picking must come to a stop! I hope to find support here as well, but something about seeing the "ooze" come out of your skin knowing its not tucked in there anymore is soo satisfying. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, idk.

roxystar4

spyski its not weird at all. I hate the thought of their being something in/under my skin. it is satisfying to get it out but I feel like I make things worse in most cases (i do think some acne needs to be picked, but not all)

crayzeeRN

I also think getting the white heads out makes the blemish FEEL 75% better. All that pressure building up under my skin usually hurts like heck, and as soon as the pressure is released it feels a lot better!

nebel

I think it is only human nature to pick at worrisome spots, but I think for many of us it goes beyond that.  We *can't* stop even when we know the harm we are doing, and it can lead to very bad things like scars or infection.  I am very glad that everyone can come together and talk about it in a judgement free zone!!

DTalksAll

We do eachother's backs when we get one of those angry messy ones. It's gross, but I can't reach my back & he always checks while I wash my face. He does ask "what are you doooooing" when I start to reach for my face. Too bad, he can't be near me 24-7 to stop me before I pick. 

Spyski

I forgot to mention it was a bacne pick for me! lol

I have little arms like those on a t-rex so it's hard enough getting to my back, thank god for Murad's Clarifying Body Spray since it can be applied upside down! Woohoo no more bacne...watch one pop up now that I said that :/

crayzeeRN

Spyski, do you mind telling me more about the Murad spray? Definitely interested, wondering when you apply this (before getting dressed, after shower?); is it preventative or healing or both?

Spyski

Sure, I apply it after my shower (after towel drying). I really saw an improvement in clarification on my back after the third use. I've been using the spray a little over 2 months now. However, I did notice if I skipped a couple days the acne would come back (but not full force). Just make sure you stick with it or maybe find another alternative, but it was well worth it to me. 

crayzeeRN

Thank you! I forsee myself trying this out :smileyhappy: I tend to get a couple spots on my shoulders/upper back especially if I'm not able to shower quickly after a good workout, hopefully this will help!

DTalksAll

Thank you so much for starting this thread. We all know it's bad, some of us just can't help it. I've been a picker my whole life. I've been trying to be good, but most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it until the damage is already done. 

I didn't realize so many others suffer from picking. I hope this thread helps us to overcome our urges and lead us to healthier habits. 

nebel

Honestly, I didn't realize this was so widespread either. I hope everyone finds this useful. I already have.  Thanks for participating!

nebel

As I mentioned in my other thread, my worst offense is cuticles, but I also have issues with other skin imperfections like scabs or blisters.  I've suffered bleeding, painful hands, infected fingers that took weeks to heal, and scabs that turned into major scars because I just couldn't stop fussing at them.

sdbeautyjunkie1

(0) Hearts

Omg I am so guilty of this I pick at my fingers so bad when I'm stressed that the next day I can't touch anything. Glad to know I am not alone in this disgusting habit. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 164 replies
  • 313 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold