nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

kimmi1115

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

(0) Hearts

Have you tried any foot products to try to slowly stop picking?  I can't remember what all is in the Foot Works kit I ordered.

DTalksAll

If you're in the market for new sheets... look into the sheex brand. They are soft, sweat wicking & so comfortable, but if you have dry feet they get stuck to them. I'm so diligent now on putting cream on my feet every night before bed. It has seriously helped with my foot skin picking. The worst is when i get a blister or callus from running. 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Whoa! I've never heard of these til now. I like my bed COLD at night, I sleep better when it feels like an igloo. Are these sheets super duper soft as well?  I noticed there is a cotton option on the sheex website, but not sure which is softer. Which kind do you have?

DTalksAll

The original one, performance sheet, never tired the cotton. You can get them at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

Yes, they are soft, it's hard to describe the material, it's like if jersey cotton, satin, & under armor all mated & had a baby, that's what it would FEEL like. 

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I hadn't heard of them either.  I will have to check them out at Bed Bath and Beyond, especially since a coupon came in the other day lol.

Spyski

Thanks for the info, I'll be making my way there to check em out after work!

Keithrube1

Wow. I am not the only one who obsesses over a zit. All zits that I get, are eventually popped. And each time, I make it worse, which means I don't leave the house until my "self surgery" as my wife says, makes it go away. NEVER DOES. I cannot learn this. 

ezinabee

I pick my boyfriend's back when a zit shows up. He absolutely hates it but I get SO FRUSTRATED when he doesn't let me. 

carrierose

I'm late to this thread but I have two cysts/whiteheads on my cheek right below my orbital bone, right next to each other...I am trying SO hard to stay away from them, because I know I need to just let them go away on their own and not pick so I don't scar!

These is my first big breakout in a couple months, so that's not bad.  I used to have a couple on my cheeks or chin at all times.

And this reminds me of something I read in Glamour a few months ago that made me laugh.  This is not a direct quote, but some "famous" makeup artist said "don't put foundation or concealer on your cheeks.  NO ONE breaks out on their cheeks!"  I'm like, come to my house, lady!!!

drrragon

At first I thought this thread was about how to pick the right support group! haha. 

I've done so much damage to my skin by picking at acne or trying to use an extractor to get stuff out of clogged pores.  It's horrible how often it ends up in a really huge inflamed monster that doesn't go away for a couple weeks! When the extractor works, it's great, but when it _doesn't_ work (more often than not), it's really really bad.  

I've been trying to stop lately and haven't touched the extractor in a while.  I think the picking is an expression of frustration at how bad my skin looks and how when I run my fingers over it, I can feel all sorts of yucky bumps and stuff.

roxystar4

@drrragon I agree with the extractor. I couldnt have put it in better words myself - "When the extractor works, it's great, but when it doesn't work (more often than not), it's really really bad."

When it doesnt work I think it makes the pimple go deeper or it agitates the skin unnecessarily.  

starletta8

I've got the picking problem.  Luckily, my skin is clear most of the time aside from my monthly hormonal zit- and I know generally how long that will stay without intervention.

I broke out without even knowing it. the other day my chin felt odd in the evening, so i was "feeling it out". Yeah, I woke up with a HOLE in the cystic acne that had cropped up.

I'm also dangerous with tweezers- I tend to try to "fix" ingrowns and missed hairs. It's a legit problem for me that I have to walk away from tweezers!

starletta8

I'm trying so darn hard not to pick right now... I seriously need mittens.

prettyinpa

A friend of mine had a serious problem with picking- turns out she has OCD- a trip to the doctor for a check up and simple medication solved the picking issue as well as the excessive hand washing and compulsive checking. It used to take her 20 minutes to go around the house, checking and rechecking things before she could leave, and she would still worry that her house was going to burn down from leaving something plugged in, even though she had unplugged everything. She could pick up her skin to bleeding, oozy messes and not be cognizant that she was doing it. 

kimmi1115

Like the others said, medication does help along with talking and family support.  However, medication hasn't completely solved my picking problem, although it did help with things I was going through that were worse than picking.  My dosage has been upped due to some other issues that have come up within the past months, but they need to make a pill focused just on picking.

I am glad to hear your friend has been doing well on the road of recovery!

nebel

I'm really glad your friend got the help she needed!  I am also on medication, which really does help, but one of the things with meds is there is no one-size-fits all, what works GREAT for one person is a nightmare for another.  Anxiety, OCD, Depression... these are not simple issues.  Meds can take the edge off but not make the problem go away completely, but science really is wonderful (speaking as a scientist!)  

thanks for sharing!

L

rikkie

"What works GREAT for one person is a nightmare for another. Anxiety, OCD, Depression... these are not simple issues."

THIS. The medication my husband is taking works great for him, but when I was on it, it was the third worst a medication has made me feel. That doesn't sound too bad, but with the worst one I ended up in a coma and the second worst made my skin melt off basically, so yeah.

drrragon

If only there were a medication to solve my compulsive-shopping-at-sephora issue!!

DeltaGammaGirl

People always tell me not to pick at my skin or pop my zits.... and then I think if YOU had a white head that was just sitting on your face wouldn't you want to pop it?! I would rather get rid of the gross head! But when I am at home I use the tips of cotton swabs to pop acne because it doesn't put more bacteria into my skin

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

(DZ girl here!)  Yes, I agree.  What I've found in the last few months is using q-tips or a Kleenex wrapped around my index fingers is WAY gentler than bare fingers.  I had a serious problem doing way too much to my skin to get it "perfect"--20 years to be exact--and have not had a SINGLE BLEMISH IN 3 MONTHS since I stopped picking.  I just keep reminding myself how embarrassed I used to be to have this major honker, oozing, angry thing on my chin, nose, jaw, or forehead, how much concealer I used to pile on, how much TIME it took to hide things before I left in the mornings...what a waste of time!  All of those things keep me away from the magnifying mirror and with much prettier skin and WAY MORE CONFIDENCE.  It's simply a choice!

Spyski

Has anybody ever picked their acne with tools like tweezers or an extractor? I know I have used tweezers in the past, and oh buddy THAT is damaging. I feel bad that I've done that numerous amounts of times, and noticed when I didn't clean the tweezers properly (dipped in alcohol)...would make my acne worse because it was putting whatever impurities that were on the tweezers back onto my skin. Mostly bacne, but i've tried that with my face. Terrible mistake. Please, don't do that!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 164 replies
  • 313 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold