nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

roxystar4

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

@dannyc  seriously, it is like I create a mess when there wouldn't have been one.  Also, i notice at night my skin gets more inflamed.  If I leave the bumps alone that show up from 8pm onward, if I wash my face & go to bed, most of them are GONE in the AM.  Whereas if I pick them the scabs are there for a while. I try to remember this fact as well when Im going into the bathroom at night.

arielaaaaaaaa

Aww i love this thread! I have recently started being determined to stop!! It's been a few days and i have done a minimal amount of picking and my skin is beginning to heal! I just started Murad Pure Skin Supplements cause my acne was getting worse! And picking didn't help!! I'm hoping i can stop and the Supplements will help with my acne! And maybe i can get away with a good bb cream instead of a full coverage foundation!!!

nebel

We're here to cheer you on!!

makeupmaven

I don't know if this is going to help, but if you have a blemish that is at a head (really has to be ready to pop), with clean hands you can cover with a tissue and gently squeeze from both sides to get the blemish to pop. If it doesn't work, don't keep it at it (it's not ready). No nails.

It can be hard to get out of negative patterns...yoga and acupuncture can help, and give yourself credit when you overcome these thoughts. If you sink back in, don't let it sink you deeper...just be conscious of it! Try to think of healing with your hands, not harming. Thank you for sharing and good luck with this.

nebel

Very good suggestions! I am an avid yogi, and love it for may reasons.

I really like the philosophy of "healing with your hands"

Spyski

Ha I hear ya on the pick'n!

My boyfriend walked in on me one time while I was down right in the middle of fully deep clogged procedure pick! Yeah, one of those nasty ones that may end up on the bathroom mirror after popped. Gross, I know but the satisfaction I got from it was awesome! My bf didn't think it was all that gross and joined in on the fun :smileyvery-happy: 

Seems to be pretty normal to pick whether it be acne, cuticles, or feet. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I've had some one those that pop onto the mirror! The first time it happened i was like WHOA!! Did that just happen!! And My ex and i did the same!! We would squeeze eachother noses and all the blackheads would come out. Not the best method though!!! But such a relief. I'm trying to bite my nails instead. Anything is better than my face!!

Spyski

Haha "Hey i'll pick your blackheads if you pick mine" I can only imagine a cute little comic about this! 

arielaaaaaaaa

Haha i have no clue how it started!! I think i actually caught him doing it and then it just took off from there!!!

roxystar4

my husband hates it when I try to pick his acne. He literally gets mad at me. He says that there are two things we fight about 1. his family (my in-laws) 2. picking

LolaVal

Heehee... Oh dear, in-laws and picking - these are my troubles too! Perhaps we have to start an in-laws support thread!!!

roxystar4

@LolaVal   i thought people made up in-law issues... then i got married

LolaVal

[ Edited ]

@roxystar4 - you are too funny!!!  My thoughts exactly!  I got married last September and boy oh boy!  There's always something new to deal with.

nebel

My husband also gets very mad at me when I try to pick at him. and oh, do I ever try.

Spyski

lol oh the in-laws...

the picking must come to a stop! I hope to find support here as well, but something about seeing the "ooze" come out of your skin knowing its not tucked in there anymore is soo satisfying. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, idk.

roxystar4

spyski its not weird at all. I hate the thought of their being something in/under my skin. it is satisfying to get it out but I feel like I make things worse in most cases (i do think some acne needs to be picked, but not all)

crayzeeRN

I also think getting the white heads out makes the blemish FEEL 75% better. All that pressure building up under my skin usually hurts like heck, and as soon as the pressure is released it feels a lot better!

nebel

I think it is only human nature to pick at worrisome spots, but I think for many of us it goes beyond that.  We *can't* stop even when we know the harm we are doing, and it can lead to very bad things like scars or infection.  I am very glad that everyone can come together and talk about it in a judgement free zone!!

DTalksAll

We do eachother's backs when we get one of those angry messy ones. It's gross, but I can't reach my back & he always checks while I wash my face. He does ask "what are you doooooing" when I start to reach for my face. Too bad, he can't be near me 24-7 to stop me before I pick. 

Spyski

I forgot to mention it was a bacne pick for me! lol

I have little arms like those on a t-rex so it's hard enough getting to my back, thank god for Murad's Clarifying Body Spray since it can be applied upside down! Woohoo no more bacne...watch one pop up now that I said that :/

crayzeeRN

Spyski, do you mind telling me more about the Murad spray? Definitely interested, wondering when you apply this (before getting dressed, after shower?); is it preventative or healing or both?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 152 replies
  • 306 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi