nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

DTalksAll

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

I find extractors to be ineffective. The only time I use them it the pointy tip for removing a milia seed when it's close to the surface. But I find a pin is smaller & leaves less of a hole. 

Tweezers sometimes if it's a whitehead and it's stuck in there, but that doesn't work out so well. 

nebel

Yes on tweezers, and this also resulted in (this is bad) the worst job I've ever done on my hands. I used a pair of pointy analytical tweezers that we use for moving samples at work (I'm an analytical scientist) and ripped all my cuticles out.  OWWWW. 

nebel

Didn't even realize this until I just caught myself doing it, but my picking also manifests as chewing on the inside of my cheeks until they are bloody and raw, particularly when I am thinking.  Does this affect anyone else?

makeupmaven

Since you are an avid yogi, do you find instructions to "relax the facial muscles" helpful? I personally do!

Finally, maybe omega-3's in the diet and supplements will help a little? Just as far as promoting healthy brain function/ mood. I can be pretty neurotic at times, having a tech job (and constantly having to problem solve) doesn't help much. So trust me, I feel your pain!

nebel

Yes, it is helpful to relax my face *if i notice that i'm doing it* 

I think that one of the common threads among everyone here is that we don't even immediately realize that we're harming ourselves.

Yoga has been one of the best and healthiest things I've ever done in my life. I love it so much.

I'll look into supplements! 

makeupmaven

Awesome, and I think talking about it really helps so thank you again! Just knowing that you are not alone, that you're just human and stress affects all of us differently! Big brains are often way too overactive!

roxystar4

@nebel  my sister chews the inside of her cheeks! all the time, esp when she is stressed or driving (which makes her stressed). She also picks at her face.

violalea

hands...picking face....= pimples :smileysad:

roxystar4

I feel like dannyc really captured how I feel after I pick- " I don't even realize I'm doing it until the damage is already done."

Covering the mirror has really been helping me the past few months (proactiv has helped a lot too) and making sure to not go in the bathroom unaware if I'm tired, upset, stressed, etc. Well obviously I have to go to the bathroom but to be cognizant of the reality that I can't trust myself if I get within 10 inches of the mirror.  I am fine if I am further away (2 feet) because I cant see the little bumps, blackheads. Seriously one zit can cause a lot of damage because it isnt just one, it turns into me picking at nearly invisible bumps and making a mess of my face.

LolaVal

Yes!  The invisible bumps always get me!!!  I always start with a legitimate white head or something, and then next thing you know, I have 10 red spots on my face where nothing were there before.  

jennypenny1995

Yes, I keep the magnifying mirror on my husband's side of the vanity to keep me from myself.  Horrid thing! = )

DTalksAll

ah those stupid invisible bumps that we turn into monsters that would have never formed if we just left them alone... 

roxystar4

@dannyc  seriously, it is like I create a mess when there wouldn't have been one.  Also, i notice at night my skin gets more inflamed.  If I leave the bumps alone that show up from 8pm onward, if I wash my face & go to bed, most of them are GONE in the AM.  Whereas if I pick them the scabs are there for a while. I try to remember this fact as well when Im going into the bathroom at night.

arielaaaaaaaa

Aww i love this thread! I have recently started being determined to stop!! It's been a few days and i have done a minimal amount of picking and my skin is beginning to heal! I just started Murad Pure Skin Supplements cause my acne was getting worse! And picking didn't help!! I'm hoping i can stop and the Supplements will help with my acne! And maybe i can get away with a good bb cream instead of a full coverage foundation!!!

nebel

We're here to cheer you on!!

makeupmaven

I don't know if this is going to help, but if you have a blemish that is at a head (really has to be ready to pop), with clean hands you can cover with a tissue and gently squeeze from both sides to get the blemish to pop. If it doesn't work, don't keep it at it (it's not ready). No nails.

It can be hard to get out of negative patterns...yoga and acupuncture can help, and give yourself credit when you overcome these thoughts. If you sink back in, don't let it sink you deeper...just be conscious of it! Try to think of healing with your hands, not harming. Thank you for sharing and good luck with this.

nebel

Very good suggestions! I am an avid yogi, and love it for may reasons.

I really like the philosophy of "healing with your hands"

Spyski

Ha I hear ya on the pick'n!

My boyfriend walked in on me one time while I was down right in the middle of fully deep clogged procedure pick! Yeah, one of those nasty ones that may end up on the bathroom mirror after popped. Gross, I know but the satisfaction I got from it was awesome! My bf didn't think it was all that gross and joined in on the fun :smileyvery-happy: 

Seems to be pretty normal to pick whether it be acne, cuticles, or feet. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I've had some one those that pop onto the mirror! The first time it happened i was like WHOA!! Did that just happen!! And My ex and i did the same!! We would squeeze eachother noses and all the blackheads would come out. Not the best method though!!! But such a relief. I'm trying to bite my nails instead. Anything is better than my face!!

Spyski

Haha "Hey i'll pick your blackheads if you pick mine" I can only imagine a cute little comic about this! 

arielaaaaaaaa

Haha i have no clue how it started!! I think i actually caught him doing it and then it just took off from there!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 164 replies
  • 313 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold