nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

gogreyhound

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

(0) Hearts

I completely understand all of you! I have a couple of identical spots that are kind of like callouses on my elbows and outside of my wrists, where I pick at them when I am watching TV or movies. I think it is a stress reliever, and I have read some theories that is a "grooming gene" gone haywire. I know for my son, it is his anxiety, even with meds and therapy, he picks terribly at his arms and legs. If he stops picking, he pulls out his hair. It is really hard having your anxiety or stress "visible" like this, it is embarassing and makes him self-conscious.  I wish there was a switch we could tuurn to "off" for this. 

LarissaLaDonna

I absolutely hate dry lips and I constantly,do lip scrubs and my lips get so sensitive and pink.

So,I have to religiously apply lip balm. It's my one super bad habit. (>.<)

BrideSona

(0) Hearts

Increase the amount of water you drink daily dramatically and it will combat dry lips. I recently started keeping track of how much water I drink and increased it exponentially...poof no more dry lips.

LarissaLaDonna

thank you,I will give that a try. :smileyhappy:

irenet

(0) Hearts

There are more of us than you think. Mine starting in elementary school when I would put glue on my hand, wait for it to dry, than pick it off little by little. It was just the sensation of it. I then developed a habit of picking at my lips and this went on for years. I have scarring on my lips now that I try to cover with lippies but you could still see the loose skin. Only recently have I made my last attempt to resit the urge to pick and I'm happy to say I've gone 6 months without picking. My lips look healthy and feel smooth, and there is no more bleeding. I find that if I get stressed I may try but I haven't so far and I'm one happy camper. If you ever need someone to talk to please PM me.

shyvicki

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've been guilty of this for years. I tend to pick at my face when I'm bored. So glad I'm not the only one. I'll be 36 in a few weeks and still get zits here and there. They no longer make the spot treatment I was using so I need to find a new one. Recommendations?

carenganda21

(0) Hearts

I belong to this group as well...! I have like 6 dark spots now on my cheeks and chin just because of a simple pimples that I made worst by picking on it =(   Also 4 more dark spots and 3 wounds right now on my eyebrows area because of those little tiny eyebrows that I am trying to get and it doesn't want to until my skin turns red, with blood and have a hole on it =( Then zits the next day, I will pick on it again, blood again then wound! Ugh! My picking problem is depressing especially when I see my face red, wounded and dark spots everywhere...!

jolipoo

(0) Hearts

I am 13 years old and I get the usual whiteheads/blackheads/(what I like to call) plugs. When you pop and squeeze a pimple and a somewhat solid looking pore thingy come out (am I the only one who gets these?) whenever I see something on my face, I have to pick it but it always turns out red, bloody, or just not normal looking whether I get something out or not. I have normal/combo skin and it it VERY fair which makes all of my "hard work" show even more. PLEASE HELP MY FIND SOME TIPS, SOLUTIONS, AND PRODUCTS TO HELP MY SKIN AND ME. Also if anyone has any good dark spot products to recomennd  please do. I have a few right now and probably have more underneath ready to surprise me anytime. 😒😭

ballerinagrl

(0) Hearts

You are SO not alone! The white plug that comes out is the bacterial infection. Rather than picking, try to use your knuckles (thoroughly cleansed) and squeeze the thing out, then immediately put tea tree oil, or a salicylic gel (e.g. Clinique's Blemish Gel) over the wound, and often it actually heels pretty well with minimal scarring.

To cover scars there are many options, but Clinique's Blemish Control liquid Foundation both covers the dark spot, and treats the bacterial build-up that led to the pimple in the first place. My daughter's have also found Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage and Kate Somerville's D-Scar extremely helpful.

For skincare, it would be a good idea to start using a product line designed to limit breakouts and treat them fast when they happen. A LOT of brands offer such a line (e.g. Clinique, Estee Lauder, Murad etc.), and really it is simply a matter of trying them out to see which work best for your unique skin type (I have 5 daughters, and all use a different line for this purpose as no one brand's line worked well on all of them!)

garnett

I think this story will make you feel better.  I had to go to the dermatologist yesterday because I had a patch of skin on my nose that kept causing problems.  It would keep peeling, get "zitty" , slightly bleed.  UGH.  It went on for months and nothing I applied made it all better.  I figured I should have it checked.  She didn't think it was serious but she froze that section of skin.  The nurse told me that it may scab or blister and that I should apply antibiotic ointment to the area .   I said ...and I shouldn't pick at it, right?  She laughed and said well if you are able to resist that you are a stronger woman than I!  haha  Good to know even the people at the dermatologist find it hard to resist.  :smileyhappy:

Urbie

picking is clearly a normal human reaction.  I know that my pores are weird, so I pretty much never can squeeze my own blackheads...but my fiance's blackheads pop out so easily, and he doesn't really care about his skin as much as I try to get to get him to care, so once every couple of months when I get the weird urge to pick at blackheads, I always go "pleeeeeeaaaassseeeee can I squeeze your face?".  Removing a blackhead or flaky skin or a scab is just too satisfying!

m3rma1d

got out a huge blackhead on my forehead last night, but did it with q-tips at least. Was SO TEMPTED to start squeezing away on my chin but once my hands went there I quickly backed off and put on the EradiKate stuff instead. (PS is it just me or does this crap not really do anything? I'm halfway thru it a month later and still have the same ole zits, and don't find they go away any faster. I guess at this point I'm just trying to use up the bottle)

xpap

Wow, I'm so impressed that we were able to step away and not squeeze your chin! Huge props to you :smileyhappy:

Also, I totally agree with you on EradiKate! I don't think it has done anything to help resolve my blemishes - I had such high hopes. What I do find is that if I can manage to put it on before I start to pick it covers the spot so I can't see it which helps me not attack it.

m3rma1d

YES! Covering it up to hide it so you won't pick is all it's good for. So I guess that is something. :smileytongue:

elaine4425

Ugh, yes. My ex tried to get me to stop all the time and berated me for picking at my fingers, but when I'm stressed I can't help it! For me, I don't pick at my face so much as my fingers/cuticles. I've never gotten a manicure because I'm too embarrassed of how my cuticles look. I sleep with gloves on to stop me from picking at night, and during the day I'm always applying that Burt's Bees lemon cuticle cream to help but they still look awful :smileysad:

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

Guilty. If I don't use something on my cuticles, they peel. When that happens, I can't resist peeling them. Sometimes I end up making the skin where the cuticle was raw. I need to carry a small tube of hand cream in my pocket to use at work.

BrennaBombshell

Ugh, I pick at my fingers all the time too. What I've started doing is taking an olive body butter and coating my hands in it before bed, then putting on cotton gloves. When I wake up in the morning, my hands are super moisturized and there's really no spots to pick at anymore. The cuticles are soft and smooth, and previously picked-at spots are pretty much gone. I do the same thing on my feet because I have a tendency to pick at those too. (sigh)

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Now that is my sore spot, the spots on my heels that sometimes end up with dead skin "flags". The worst thing I can do is pick at them instead of letting them fall off on their own or doing a sugar scrub. I have had sore pink, bloody, and near bloody heels from taking out whatever was riding me on my poor feet.

That goes back to having hi-top shoes when I was young and my feet would sweat and chafe my heels against the shoe. I guess they didn't fit that well because I always grew out of shoes fast. So for many years I would loose the top few mm of skin from the back of my heels because I didn't have cotton socks, and I got fascinated enough to start picking.

I accidently pulled one of the flags off last week but was able to stop myself there before trying to 'fix' it any more. :/

evie25202

Support thread you say. ::stands up:: My name is Eve and I pick my face.

I don't know what it is but the pimples hurt and scratching at them makes it feel better even though I know I shouldn't. Then it takes longer to heal because of the blood. :-( I can't win. I see a dermatologist but I've been really stressed lately

BrennaBombshell

Hi Eve!

I've totally noticed that the more stressed I get, the more I pick. Then when a spot is almost totally healed....I pick at it, and then it tears open and I've just made it 10x worse. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 164 replies
  • 313 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold