nebel

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

garnett

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

I think this story will make you feel better.  I had to go to the dermatologist yesterday because I had a patch of skin on my nose that kept causing problems.  It would keep peeling, get "zitty" , slightly bleed.  UGH.  It went on for months and nothing I applied made it all better.  I figured I should have it checked.  She didn't think it was serious but she froze that section of skin.  The nurse told me that it may scab or blister and that I should apply antibiotic ointment to the area .   I said ...and I shouldn't pick at it, right?  She laughed and said well if you are able to resist that you are a stronger woman than I!  haha  Good to know even the people at the dermatologist find it hard to resist.  :smileyhappy:

Urbie

picking is clearly a normal human reaction.  I know that my pores are weird, so I pretty much never can squeeze my own blackheads...but my fiance's blackheads pop out so easily, and he doesn't really care about his skin as much as I try to get to get him to care, so once every couple of months when I get the weird urge to pick at blackheads, I always go "pleeeeeeaaaassseeeee can I squeeze your face?".  Removing a blackhead or flaky skin or a scab is just too satisfying!

m3rma1d

got out a huge blackhead on my forehead last night, but did it with q-tips at least. Was SO TEMPTED to start squeezing away on my chin but once my hands went there I quickly backed off and put on the EradiKate stuff instead. (PS is it just me or does this crap not really do anything? I'm halfway thru it a month later and still have the same ole zits, and don't find they go away any faster. I guess at this point I'm just trying to use up the bottle)

xpap

Wow, I'm so impressed that we were able to step away and not squeeze your chin! Huge props to you :smileyhappy:

Also, I totally agree with you on EradiKate! I don't think it has done anything to help resolve my blemishes - I had such high hopes. What I do find is that if I can manage to put it on before I start to pick it covers the spot so I can't see it which helps me not attack it.

m3rma1d

YES! Covering it up to hide it so you won't pick is all it's good for. So I guess that is something. :smileytongue:

elaine4425

Ugh, yes. My ex tried to get me to stop all the time and berated me for picking at my fingers, but when I'm stressed I can't help it! For me, I don't pick at my face so much as my fingers/cuticles. I've never gotten a manicure because I'm too embarrassed of how my cuticles look. I sleep with gloves on to stop me from picking at night, and during the day I'm always applying that Burt's Bees lemon cuticle cream to help but they still look awful :smileysad:

BrennaBombshell

Ugh, I pick at my fingers all the time too. What I've started doing is taking an olive body butter and coating my hands in it before bed, then putting on cotton gloves. When I wake up in the morning, my hands are super moisturized and there's really no spots to pick at anymore. The cuticles are soft and smooth, and previously picked-at spots are pretty much gone. I do the same thing on my feet because I have a tendency to pick at those too. (sigh)

evie25202

Support thread you say. ::stands up:: My name is Eve and I pick my face.

I don't know what it is but the pimples hurt and scratching at them makes it feel better even though I know I shouldn't. Then it takes longer to heal because of the blood. :-( I can't win. I see a dermatologist but I've been really stressed lately

BrennaBombshell

Hi Eve!

I've totally noticed that the more stressed I get, the more I pick. Then when a spot is almost totally healed....I pick at it, and then it tears open and I've just made it 10x worse. 

sunny63

I'll admit that, in the past, I've gotten C02 laser skin resurfacing for marks left from cystic acne, swore I'd never pick again, yet I still do. If I see a pimple, I pick, just with less ... abandon than I used to. Thank goodness I don't get many pimples anymore but I still have hyperpigmentationfrom past indiscretions. Retin-A does help fade the pigmented areas but doesn't seem to totally get rid of them, for me at least. My skin's pale & scars easily, & yet I still enjoy dabbling in magical thinking (believing I won't pay the price if I pick just one more time).

reflectsgold

(0) Hearts

did the LSR work?

Missie772

Yep yep yep. I am a picker. I can't help it. I know it is horrible for your skin but it feels wonderful to do it. :smileysad:

Missie772

Except when it hurts and bleeds- then it isn't so much fun...

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

ugh... and that clear oozy stuff. Then a scab. So you knock off the scab and get more ooze... 

BrennaBombshell

^^^ That's me. All the time. Ew. 

lyndsey

Yep, I pick. Especially those gross ones on my jaw line. Thankfully they aren't as bad as they used to be (thanks, dermatologist!) but I still can't resist. 

xpap

I'm glad this thread has been revived and I wish everyone the best with their picking resistance!

I really struggle with picking. All through my teenage years I made terrible holes in my face out of the TINIEST bumps... I made mountains (more like craters) out of mole hills! Luckily my skin healed well when I was younger and I wasn't really left with scarring. Fast forward to a month ago. I had been doing pretty well with not picking but then my dad had a heart attack and I, in turn, attacked my face. After this I strengthened my resolve and took out 2 of the 3 lights in my bathroom so now I just have the dim one that turns on with my ceiling fan. This has helped me so much! I know it isn't ideal - it definitely makes applying makeup a little hard - but it is so worth it! Now just to get rid of the terrible red marks I made... :smileysad:

Reading this thread at that time gave me so much hope and I knew I was not alone which is why I wanted to post here now. Thank you to everyone that has posted so far!

The two other big changes I made to try to combat my picking/improve my skin were:

1) Taking a Vitamin D3 Supplement - I noticed that my skin always got so much worse in the winter and I read that this has helped people with skin issues so I thought it was worth a shot. I have noticed HUGE improvements in my skin and I think this little pill is the main contributor.

2) Drinking more water - I started to keep a post-it on my desk at work and I mark every big cup of water I drink so that I can see my progress!

Again, good luck everyone! You are not alone!!!

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

I try so hard not to pick. But.... Well, you know.

Nothing is clearing up my freakin' skin either. Clarisonic, sulfur stuff, salicylic stuff.. Nope. 

I'm getting a hysterectomy in May (I am way too young for this but I have 2 diseases in my uterus and I live in too much pain every day from that, so Ursula Higgenbottom has got to go! Yes, that is her name.)...

Anyhooz, I am hoping my skin will clear up after that? But really, I dunno. My breakouts don't seem to necessarily be tied to "shark week" either, so maybe that will not work.

I pick to get rid of all the bumps, even tho I KNOW it makes them worse, impulse thinking makes it seem like "Oh no, THIS time it will help I'm sure of it."

Depression/anxiety/OCD contribute to this backwards thinking/behavior really bad for me. 

If this thread will stay as an active "support group" to help each other not pick, I'm so into it. 

Urbie

M3rma1d, good luck this May!  I have endometriosis, which was luckily caught fairly early (my mom had been insisting that I had it since I was a teen, because she had really bad endo), so between surgery to remove the scar tissue and being on the pill continuously (one active pill everyday, forever) it seems to be controlled for now.

I will say that my IBS, anxiety, and even my skin have been a lot better between not having shark week, and not having shark week involve internal bleeding.  I struggled with depression after surgery because of the anesthesia, but was able to manage it with acupuncture, and now I am feeling much better than I have in years.  

So, the good news is that some of the depression and anxiety may be better once your body isn't attacking itself.and in pain all the time!

m3rma1d

Thanks gals!! I am really happy to hear I will have fellow "hyster sisters" around here! My surgery is May 12th, on the 10th we're having a big going away party for Ursula! :smileyhappy:

I'm scared/nervous, but of course also relieved so I'm trying to focus on that. It will be awesome to not live in constant pain. In fact I'm so used to the pain that it has become my "normal" and I can't really imagine what it's going to be like? I have endo and another disease called adenomyosis. They really battle it out in there for "who wants to hurt her worse?"

The sad part is I had years of docs telling me the pain was all in my head! :smileysad:

Unfortunately I don't have insurance that covers dermatologists. :/
But yeah all my breakouts are my chin/all around my mouth so you must be right, hormonal. So awful! I feel like that's all anyone can see on my face.

I'm really proud today because I'm under crazy stress right now and I didn't pick all day yesterday. I even did a mask (GlamGlow Clearing) last night and didn't pick afterward when I was examining my face to see what magical things the mask might have done. LOL :smileyvery-happy: Made the skin super duper soft like whoa, but I'm not sure if it will help with the zits or not. I really don't care about the soft skin aspect, it's not like anyone's using my face as a pillow, blanket, or sweater. :smileytongue:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 152 replies
  • 306 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi