kalex

No-buy

I went way overboard with purchases this month (2 orders with Sephora last week alone).  So I decided to put myself on a "no-buy" for the entire month of July.  Has anyone successfully done this before?  I know I won't be able to read fashion and beauty blogs or open emails from my favorite stores, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

daisy346

Re: No-buy

I'm doing pretty well, for the most part. I did make an Ulta trip last weekend but all that I bought was 3 bottles of nail polish. I couldn't resist it. China Glaze was buy 2, get 1 free, plus I used a coupon so I hardly spent anything. That was so inexpensive I feel that it doesn't count....or at least that's what I'm telling myself. 

ohhenri

Even though I agree with all of you ladies, I still think we all broke our no-buy rule!! We're bad!!!

Thanks for making my day with all of your funny excuses!!!!! (By the way, I used them too :smileytongue: )

mermadelove

They're not excuses they're LOGIC!!! :smileysad:

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

katie1724

mermadelove wrote:

They're not excuses they're LOGIC!!! :smileysad:

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

HAHAHAHHA -- I'm now going to use this for EVERYTHING. No, really..."It's not an EXCUSE -- it's LOGIC, okay?"

I owe you one. Awesome.

katie1724

PS: In case anyone wonders...I failed *miserably* at this no-buy thing this month. Heh...there's always August, right?

(Insert nervous laughter as fall collections continue to appear...)

tenngal

The Urban Decay Anniversary Eyeshadow Collection came to Sephora at just the right time.  I ordered it today (well, now technically it would be yesterday) so now I should be able to stick to my "no-buy" for August!  Yea!!!  I know it's going to be hard, but now that I don't have to worry about breaking the rule over the UD Shadow Palette, I really think I can do it, especially with encouragement from all of you.  My husband will be so happy and proud of me if I can actually go through with it so I'm going to make a true effort.  I'll probably start getting all kinds of wonderful sale promos and coupons e-mailed to me so I'm going to TRY to delete them without looking. 

:smileyhappy:

6aad0801

Hi Tenngal!

The trick, I think, to be successful on a no-buy is to not go into the store or mall even, keep yourself busy ... of course a planned reward like a nice dinner out also helps :-) ... Also, just knowing you can do it and are in control is rewarding in itself.

mermadelove

@ohhenri: I don't think school supplies count....... :smileytongue:

ohhenri

@prettyinpa: Tack shop are tricky. I went the other day to buy a pair of zebra gloves for my friend (she saw mine, and wanted some, so she gave me money and asked me to pick them up for her, since that specific tack shop is 15 min away from my place and 3 hours from hers!!!) and I ended up with a 150$ bill for my own!!! But I now definitely have everything I need, the only thing missing is a winter blanket, but she used to be a broodmare (she's only 6, but she was no good for either races or as a broodmare), so she used to be outside all the time. I even got treats and all, so I'm all good!! I even got a extra pair of lines and an extra bit!

@mermadelove: that is another one of my guilty pleasure: I love shopping for pens, pencils and post-it!!!! But each item is max 5$, so the bill doesn't reach an insane amount, compare to make-up (or tack shop!!!)

mermadelove

I already failed my no buy! I stopped at the drugstore "just to browse" and ended up going home with TWO polishes!!! At least it was Rite Aid and I always get at least 10% off there!! OK. From here on out, NOBUY!

@ohhenri: I didn't even have the excuse of going in to buy school supplies, because I'm no longer a student!!!!

prettyinpa

I got on board for the September no-buy but I am trying to get some practice in the rest of August. I really, really don't need anything and am trying to figure out which 3 items that I can commit to using up for Brookie's challenge. Like you, mermadelove, I did resist the double points this past weekend at Sephora, which I am astonished that I did, since I was home with access to my computer. When I travel, I can usually resist shopping, unless I go to Pittsburgh or Lancaster which have a Sephora store. Taking my laptop along every trip gets old fast since the Internet connection in a lot of hotels is slow unless you pay for the business center's faster setup.  There aren't any sneaky Rite-Aid stores around here to tempt me with polish, thank goodness!

mermadelove

@prettyinpa: I just about died laughing/commiserating when I read about how you got the boots for $40 then went to the tack shop and ended up getting all that stuff for MORE than the boots you were originally going to get! That's the story of my life! I am seriously deleting without reading, all of the emails from Tarte, and Sephora, and Beauty.com, and..........

*sigh*

...and I'll ....*gulp*.....send my husband to the drugstore if we need anything!!!

:smileyvery-happy:

daisy346

The F&F sale at Tarte is killing me!!!! 30% off!!!! Aarggh. I'm trying very hard to resist.

mermadelove

I SO deleted the Tarte email when I got it! And the one they sent me 3 days before for 20% off!

daisy346

@mermadelove, your comment about sending your husband to the drugstore reminds me of something that happened the other day. My boyfriend quite innocently told me to pick up some shower gel for him if I go anywhere, that he ran out. After I stopped laughing I let him know that he's not out of it (I didn't tell him exactly how many back-up bottles he has though). In addition to buying things for myself, I really enjoy buying men's toiletries.

I think I'm going to be able to resist the Tarte sale. When I stop and think about it, I know that I don't REALLY need anything. Which is great; when I opened the email I was pretty sure there was going to be an order made.

mermadelove

@daisy: when my husband tells me he needs something at the drug store, I jump for joy because it means I can have an *extra( polish purchase! sigh..... I think ?I have a problem!

tenngal

Well, ladies, so far I have been doing great at the No-Buy rule I set for myself at the beginning of August.  On vacation I bought one souvenir bracelet and that's it, so I don't think that's falling off the wagon too bad, do you?  I have been going back and forth with the Urban Decay Revolutionary Eyelash Curler, but I bought that before the No-Buy started.  I've had a time with it...  The first one I ordered was defective.  The top and bottom metal pieces hit together instead of hitting the rubber pad, so it wouldn't curl my lashes.  I returned that one to a Sephora store thinking I would just exchange it, however, I ended up having to return it because the store didn't carry them.  So I ordered a second UD Eyelash Curler and I ordered Boscia's new No Pores No Shine T-Zone Treatment along with it so I could get free shipping.  The second one I received had been USED (yuck).  The box lid was torn where it had previously been opened, the curler had fingerprints all over the gunmetal handles, it was upside down in the box, etc., so I know it had at least been experimented with.  My eyes are very sensitive to infection, plus I didn't want to pay for a used eyelash curler, so I called Sephora's Customer Service.  Customer Service was very helpful and shipped another one out to me and asked me to send the other one back to them in the meantime.  Anyway, I finally received the third one, which had not been used, but the pad popped out of it as soon as I removed the little protective bands that come on it.  I put the pad back in it and have been trying it for the past few days.  I haven't made up my mind as to whether I like it enough to keep it or not.  This curler's top and bottom pieces don't seem to line up really great either, but it does curl my lashes so I may just keep it after all the aggravation I've been through with it.  I didn't mean to make this a big ole complainer post, ha ha.  All I meant to post was that I was sticking to the No-Buy pretty well, but it seems I got carried away in another direction, ha ha.  Oh well, I've gotten the ordeal off my chest and thanks for listening, ladies.  Good luck to all of you with the No-Buy challenge!!!

tenngal :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

@tenngal-Gee, that's just awful about your eyelash curler!  Come to think of it, I should use mine some more, I wasn't satisfied with it the first time I used it, but found out after that I had forgotten to take off BOTH of the little rubber bands on the rubber pad, so it wasn't closing properly. I think I should keep my glasses on while getting out new products, goes to show you how far-sighted I am!

Anyways, I haven't used it since then, it is still in my suitcase and I should make sure that it actually works properly!

Say, if I return this, can I get something else, or am I then not in"No-buy"? :smileywink:

ran8

@prettyinpa:  Well if you return it, store credit does not last forever (if that is the only return option available).  Otherwise, save up till October.  We can only hope September will be a sleepy product month. 

@Tenngal:  jeeze, I would have given up on that eyelash curler.  Always seems to be a new problem right after the next.  Your story has convinced me to stick to Shu Uemura. 

I thought my last items before my no buy would be a nice eye customized palette for travel and eye cream.  Yet I am having a difficult time picking a forth color due to limited selection (that is wearable for travel at least and coordinates with the other colors).  I might be starting earlier than anticipated.  If only I could just snag the left and middle row of the UD 15 in a thinner size. 

ran8

(0) Hearts

The weekly promotion for Shu Uemura is hard to pass up.  I do need a travel size for the emulsion since trying to get it into a container is going to be a pain. I was hoping to wait for all the birthday month stuff to kick in first (if they still do that offer).  And I have always wanted to try the masks (which I have never seen in stock).  Luckily, I have plenty of travel sized cleansing oils.  They are also doing a good job at preventing me from buying the eye shadows (the majority of colors I want are out of stock or N/A for US).  Would love to put together a 2 shadow 1 blush combo for travel.  Hoping the novadiva shades do come to the US eventually (Aug. 1st in Japan).  The 2011 false lashes are neat but I can talk myself out of those. 

UD palette.. Still thinking about it.  I have a list of things I would like to try.  Fortunately, my other favorite brands have not had such a big pull on me.  If anyone has been following the gift box challenge, this post is a good indicator of what the next one will be. 

And I might have actually found an eye cream that might be worth committing to.  I've enjoyed my little sample of YSL's Temps Majeur Yeux (eye).  Although I do have other samples lying around so maybe I can hold off for a while.  A little afraid I might like one of them that has the over my head price tag for the full size. 

mermadelove

So I still haven't bought the UD 15th anniversary palette. It's in my cart though. I've worn so little makeup since I started working nights that I can't really make up an excuse find a logical reason to get it. Also, today is the 29th of July-- the day that the RBL fall collection goes on pre-sale for fans, and I am SO getting three of those-- but that was one of my two planned purchases. I totally ahem forgot about the No-buy and went ahead and bought the Butter London Horse Power Nail Fertiliser, the P.D. Quick Top Coat, and Ojon Restorative Hair Tx. But they were all 20% off on SPaLook so it was a GREAT deal!

I was all set to be on board with this whole No -buy thing, and then I saw that Sephora started carrying Nails, Inc. I'm pretty excited about their 45 second top coat. I'm also excited that their polishes run around $10. It's nice to have another quality, high end polish for under $12!!! But since it's new, I'm sure it will be around for a while and I can do this No-Buy for August thing. I'll just put them in my cart-- so I'll be ready in September. No, really!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 264 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • chewcifer
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • ohhenri