kalex

No-buy

I went way overboard with purchases this month (2 orders with Sephora last week alone).  So I decided to put myself on a "no-buy" for the entire month of July.  Has anyone successfully done this before?  I know I won't be able to read fashion and beauty blogs or open emails from my favorite stores, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ohhenri

Re: No-buy

mermadelove wrote:

So I still haven't bought the UD 15th anniversary palette. It's in my cart though. I've worn so little makeup since I started working nights that I can't really make up an excuse find a logical reason to get it.

Wow!!! Once again, you made my day with the way you write stuff!!!
I gotta say that I broke my no-buy to get the UD 15th anniversary palette. But this has to be my last eyeshadow purchase for a year!!! I have bought so much things lately that my Caboodle case is now too small to hold everything!!!
mermadelove

@ohenri: I just bought another two Caboodles cases to hold my ever growing polish stash! Storage is not part of the no-buy, right???

ohhenri

@mermadelove: I hope not, because I just bought one yesterday !!!

waterbaby1981

In that case, logic dictates that I must use this Nordstrom $20 note that I received in the mail yesterday!

....You should've seen the look on Dan's face when I got the mail and he saw the envelope from them, too.:smileyvery-happy:

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

ROTFLMAO! :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

tenngal

I'm starting the no-buy rule for the month of August, so I've only got a few days left to spare to buy stuff, ha ha.  Actually I am trying to go ahead and implement the no-buy already because of vacation coming up and I've just spent way to much on, not only makeup and skincare, but also on buying new luggage, new clothes, etc.  But I am going to go ahead and exempt myself from the no-buy for the Urban Decay Anniversary Eyeshadow Collection whenever it becomes available (if I have enough money to buy it, ha ha).  There is one eyeshadow palette that I want to order so bad before August gets here and my strict no-buy rule goes into place, but I really don't NEED it especially since I'm going to be getting the bright shadows in the UD Collection, but it is such a unique palette that I'm tempted to go ahead and order it.  It's the new Givenchy Le Prismissime 9-Colours Eyeshadow Palette and here's a picture to show you how unique it is in case you haven't seen it: 

Le Prismissime 9-Colors Eyeshadow
OK, so would somebody talk me out of buying this?  It costs $62 which is ridiculous when you think about UD's Eyeshadow Collection costing $55 and getting more shadow colors for the price, right?  Hugh sigh...  I keep looking at this darned palette and it's been sitting in my shopping basket since I first saw it, but something keeps holding me back from going ahead and buying it so I'm sure you ladies can give me lots of reasons why I shouldn't buy it.  In other words, PLEASE help me get this palette out of my shopping cart, LOL!
:smileyhappy:

ran8

I saw the Givenchy palette in store and was a bit disappointed at the size of it.  Great for a travel size though (to the tropics).  Hrm.. Not might be any help to distract you away from it Tenngal. 

Luckily most eye shadows I wanted from Shu Uemura went out of stock so it prevents me from buying any.  Maybe I can hold out for another week until certain codes and promotions are into effect.  Marketing tactics at best. 

tenngal

@ran8:  Thanks for letting me know the Givenchy palette is more along the lines of a travel-size palette because I wouldn't want to pay that much for a small palette when I can wait for the UD Anniversary Palette which costs less and has generous-sized portions of shadow.  Even though I'm getting ready to go on vacation, I have all the travel palettes I need so the Givenchy palette in a small size doesn't appeal to me at all.  You just helped turn me away from it big time...thank you!!!

waterbaby1981

(0) Hearts

That Givenchy palette just by looking at it makes me think of the MUFE Flash Color Case and you get what, 12 eyeshadows with a lot of the same colors in that too!  It's either equivalent or less than that little compact.

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@prettyinpa: precisely!
@daisy: that's the ticket! :smileyhappy:)

tenngal

@kalex:  You're forgiven, ha ha.  I don't think any of us could have passed up that Dr. Brandt Laser Peel for $9!  That was almost like not buying anything, LOL!
:smileyvery-happy:

tenngal

(0) Hearts

@elipeanut:  Three months of no-buying!  I'm very impressed!!!  I'm going to take your advice and just ask myself "do I really NEED this?" and the answer should be no every time because I've got samples that I need to use up even if I did run out of something the samples should have me covered. 

daisy346

I've been doing that a lot too. I've talked myself out of a lot of purchases that I would usually just have bought without thinking twice about it. When you sit down and really look at the dollar amount, and whether or not you actually need it, it can be a real eye-opener. Even sometimes when the craving is extra bad, if you tell yourself you'll wait a day or a week and see if you still want it, you can avoid a lot of buying. 

shinyla

I got laid off at work two weeks ago, so I'm trying to stick to a no-buy policy. But, tonight I had to break down and order my Boscia face wash and toner. I've been drooling over all the goodies I want on here, and going through withdrawals since I used to shop at Sephora at LEAST twice a month. It's really hard to stay committed, but I'm definitely not buying ANYTHING unless I need it/have run out of it... sigh!!!

anaa

Hope you find something soon...I know how you feel!

shinyla

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

brookie673

Try putting yourself on a beauty budget of, say, $20 for the month. You can still look at beauty magazines and emails and blogs. But, instead of getting the expensive items they recommend, try out some drugstore brands copies of them, like Cover Girl or Maybelline. If you really want a no-spending month, just delete all the emails from expensive stores and you can still read the mags and blogs. Circle things you might want, and type up a list with prices. Add it all up. It will probably be a lot. Then, get rid of as much stuff as you can. Your goal is to have two or less items that are not too overpriced. Tell yourself, "I will wait until a sale to get these." Sephora does have some big sales every so often.

But, I'd recommend taking this month and sampling some products from ELF. eyeslipsface (dot) com. I always recommend them to people on a budget, as they have 1-5 dollar makeup that is still decent quality. Of course, not as good as an UD shadow, but for a dollar I have actually heard people compare the two and say they are similar. I like their cream eyeliner and studio eyeshadows, along with their one dollar brightening eye color quads. Check it out!! BTW, I'm not being paid or sponsored by them. I do really love their products haha :smileyvery-happy: Hope I helped!

tiffanybt

@kalex. No-buy is definitely hard for me as well, but it can also be fun if you challenge yourself. There was this thread I found where you Shop your own Stash that really helped me stick to my No-Buy rule. If you look through blogs and magazines and really want something, see if you're able to shop through your own stash and find something comparable. I find that this really helps and also keeps you busy.

Good Luck! I'm 100% sure you can keep to your No-Buy rule. :smileywink:

geminibreeze

(0) Hearts

Tiff you are so right! I am going to go through my containers and see what's old is new again and what I forgot about! lol

daisy346

@tenngal, did you try the Boscia No  Pores No Shine treatment yet? I was interested to hear that you bought it; I've been wondering if it's any good.

I'm doing very well with my no-buy. I was able to resist sale items at Urban Decay, the sale at Tarte, and I'm deleting emails from beauty.com without reading them so I can't be tempted. Before I started the no-buy, I got 4 orders from Sephora in a very short time period so there's nothing I could possibly need.

tenngal

@daisy346:  Way to go on sticking to the No-Buy!  I've been doing the same thing as far as deleting e-mails from Urban Decay, Ulta, etc., so I won't even be tempted.  You asked about the Boscia No Pores No Shine Treatment and I wanted to let you know that I've only been using it for about 5 or 6 consecutive days so far.  As far as "immediate" results (upon application), I can't really see that it reduces the size of my pores but I do think that it may help a little with keeping oiliness at bay.  Since I've only been using it for such a short amount of time, I don't know what the long-term effect will be.  However, I'm going to keep using it in hopes that over time it will reduce pore size like it promises.  It does have a nice cooling sensation on my skin when I first apply it. 

@prettyinpa:  I've been deleting all of my e-mails from all beauty sites, including MAC, or I'm sure I'd be wanting the set you're wanting right now, too, ha ha.  Just use that willpower I know you've got and say no to the eyeshadow!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 264 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • chewcifer
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa