No Buy July!

poshified

No Buy July!

Having gone through my makeup collection extensively the past week, I've decided to go on a 'No Buy July' challenge (which includes not buying necessities such as makeup remover and brush cleansers, since I have loads of deluxe samples to go through.) As an avid supporter of both Sephora stores and Sephora.com, this might be difficult, but I'm still determined :smileyhappy:.

My goal is to make it through the entire month of July without any purchases, and if possible, until my birthday in August.

If any of you beautyholics are also planning on a No Buy July, please comment below (and help each other through the next month-ish! :smileyvery-happy:)

poshified

Re: No Buy July!

I'm almost tempted to call this the Beautyholics Anonymous thread :smileywink:

colorobsession

By strict rules, I blew the opportunity to have a true no-buy July since the very beginning of the month. But, I have made a significant effort to spend less, and I can definitely notice a difference on my credit card bill. I've stopped eating out (except on special occasions) and try not to buy anything (beauty or otherwise) unless I really need it. Beauty wise I have my Birchbox and Ipsy subscriptions, and I bought myself the OCC Lip Tar Vol. 3 set and a couple sale brushes with a sephora gift certificate for my birthday ($10 out of pocket after the gift card...thank you sales tax).

That's probably all I would have been tempted to buy for the month if I didn't see that Hautelook Summer Favorites bag...Since it's only available for a few days and it's such a good deal I couldn't resist. Sigh...

I also bought shampoo/conditioner and nailpolish remover at Bed Bath & Beyond. Right now I'm halfway through bottles of Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner without any backup and they had one of each left in 50% more free sizes. I also had a coupon, so I ended up getting them super cheap. The nailpolish remover was a necessity, since I'm literally about to run out.

I somehow feel better confessing my "slip ups". All in all, I didn't spend a ton of $$, so I feel okay about that. I think I'm going to keep myself on a no-buy unless there is something truly amazing out there I have to spring for (and even then, maybe only one time a month).

poshified

I bet it feels good to put it out there :smileyhappy:. I actually went ahead and bought the clutch I had shown earlier as a pat in the back for not buying anything beauty related the last two weeks. I told myself that if I can bring myself to splurge on Tom Ford and Suqqu palettes, I should channel such spending on a high end clutch that I can use on a day to day basis and carry me into the fall and winter months -- at the very least! That has definitely been my splurge of the month, and I'm perfectly fine with it being on a non-cosmetic item.

Here's to being satisfied with our current makeup stash! :smileyhappy:

mafan

Still hanging in here. Just the lip color from CVS right at the beginning of the month and the $3 from a gift card nail polish splurge. A friend gave me some nice samples yesterday and a kind soul here is sending me the one thing I wanted to order, so I even have some new goodies without going to a store. 

I even went to CVS with two extra bucks certificates and got nothing from the beauty aisles. (I used my 20% coupon and bucks toward replacement magnifier glasses to help with my needlework so that I can make a dent in one of my other bad spending habits. And I limited my spending at our needlework stash sale to $18 which is phenomenal for me.)

poshified

Those aren't bad purchases at all, especially with the CVS rewards program! :smileyhappy:

poshified

I'm still going strong. Hope you, gals, are too!! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

July 13: one more day down!

poshified

WOO HOO! Bring it on, rest of July!! :smileyvery-happy:

starletta8

I'm not officially participating, but by the end of July I will have tested all of the color makeup I have sitting around. Hooray!

poshified

Hopefully you'll have found some dupes in the collection :smileywink: Don't forget to share with us which ones you found!

prosopon

I already know the first item I am going to buy in August after the no buy is over.  False eyelashes.  My cousin is getting married in August and I have been watching so many beauty videos on you tube that I have talked myself into trying to wear them for the first time ever!  

poshified

Which brand were you thinking? I've heard Demi Ardell Wispies are quite good! I tried falsies but I had to rip them off since they were really uncomfortable on my eyes.

prosopon

[ Edited ]

I have heard a lot about those too.  Here are the brands/types I am debating on:

1. Red cherry #43

2. Salon perfect #53 or #110

3. Ardell #53 or #110

If I am reading the websites correctly #53 is demi whispies, #110 is natural, and I don't know about #43 but it seems a little more dramatic than the demi whispies but the same shape.

mpolansky

This No Buy July couldn't have come at a better time. Who suddenly has car problems this month? This girl. :smileysad:

I don't know about anyone else but I get quite anxious when I get "stuck" at home and can't leave. Since I can't leave I've been looking at beauty websites.Trying to convince myself I don't need anything!!! 

At least my muji drawers came in today. Maybe organizing them will be enough of a distraction... fingers crossed

poshified

Oh no! At least you'll be inside where it'll hopefully be cooler :smileyhappy: Btw, learn from me and never make beauty purchases past midnight. So many regret purchases, haha.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

Haha my AC actually kicked the bucket today. Of all days right?

Its ok though, trying to stay positive. And I know!!! Those late nights get me too.

poshified

On the flip side, you'll be super productive with the organization :smileyhappy: I hope the rest of your weekend turns out better!!

starletta8

I know the feeling- mine kicked it right before Memorial Day.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

It's always the worst timing isn't it? Hope you got yours fixed!

drrragon

ooh let us know how it goes!  you might rediscover some old favorites in your stash when you're organizing stuff in your new muji drawers!

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

That's mostly why I'm reorganizing and moving to clear drawers... so I can see what I have! I'm really surprised at how much room the Muji drawers have... theres two empty drawers right now! And trust me, I have a LOT of makeup. Still working on it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 655 replies
  • 1146 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • khgal
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • mrsbridger