poshified

No Buy July!

Having gone through my makeup collection extensively the past week, I've decided to go on a 'No Buy July' challenge (which includes not buying necessities such as makeup remover and brush cleansers, since I have loads of deluxe samples to go through.) As an avid supporter of both Sephora stores and Sephora.com, this might be difficult, but I'm still determined :smileyhappy:.

My goal is to make it through the entire month of July without any purchases, and if possible, until my birthday in August.

If any of you beautyholics are also planning on a No Buy July, please comment below (and help each other through the next month-ish! :smileyvery-happy:)

poshified

Re: No Buy July!

It's alright! You can always do a no buy August if you have to :smileyhappy:

wendyomgwar

Oh I was so close to making it too lol! But you know what my goal was just to drastically minimize how much I was spending! And I've definitely done that! I mean going from $200 to $60 a month thats about a fourth of my spending cut! If I can keep this up and be frivolous with my purchases I think it'll stick :smileyhappy: 

poshified

............ and then the holiday collections start trickling in :smileywink: LOL!

wendyomgwar

You evil woman!!! Lol, gosh that budget FLIES out the window lol, lets not think about that now shall we. 

drrragon

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!

wendyomgwar

I'm disappointed in myself! But... I'm super happy with the stuff I got lol, and I got a hairbrush and a shampoo those are kind of essentials!

The real reason for the purchases was that I want to qualify for Rouge before they roll out the program and I'm only like $30 away now >_>

prosopon

Confession time!  So, I already told myself that I was going to make a couple of purchases in August.  Then I thought, why make them both in August...it is almost August...why not spread them out a bit (see me trying to justify it). Well, I ended up getting a few things at Target no less. I am dissappointed that I could not hold out for a week.  But I am proud of myself for not going overborad on this and that.  Ugh!!! Glad to get that off my chest.  

wendyomgwar

Apparently the case of the Mondays is infectious ;P

poshified

Today was definitely one of those days I felt the urge to buy something. Case of the Mondays? :smileyhappy:

drrragon

LOL I also felt the need to confess when I bought that OPI nail polish a couple weeks ago!  Since it didn't snowball and lead to a bunch of larger (and unnecessary) purchases I tried not to feel too bad about it!  I do need to make an order soon though since I'm running out of a few items (not any color cosmetics, just acne stuff).

This morning when browsing before work I ended up adding even MORE stuff to my wishlist!  But thinking about the holiday sets and hopefully another 20% sale in the winter helps me hold off on those types of purchases.....for now....

drrragon

@wendyomgwar -- glad to have you back! :smileyhappy:  congrats on not buying any makeup even during your vacation!  I have the hardest time controlling myself when I'm travelling anywhere, it just seems so much easier to indulge myself even when I know I shouldn't!

@proposon -- yeah I hear ya, over this month I've found so many things that I've added to my wishlist!  But after our No Buy July I will still TRY to be good.  Honestly this is the most successful no buy I've ever done and I don't want to screw it up by going on a binge shopping spree!  I'm going to try sticking to my rules of only buying items to replace what I've run out of.  But boy when those holiday sets come out all bets are off! :smileyvery-happy:

wendyomgwar

I swear coming somewhere to talk about my withdrawal problems makes it so much better :smileytongue:

Its like going to the gym, so much easier when you go with a friend! This support system is really helpful :smileyhappy:

prosopon

drragon your success is great to hear!

Well, all you guys, with your confidence, and determination to not go over board come August, are boosting my own confidence to not go crazy.  Thanks y'all!

mafan

I am hoping to stay good. I want Clinique Take The Day Off balm, I think. I seriously need to update cleansers. Not sure on other things. I am going to try to resist. 

windxi014

I really love the balm and highly recommend it! It removes waterproof mascara wonderfully!

poshified

I need to look into that. I've loved Philosophy's Purity, but the price point can be difficult to swallow at times!

prosopon

So, I just went into Sephora today. Did a couple swatches, sprayed a couple scents, and, oh boy, I am finding more things that I want to buy.  I am afraid that I am building a dam in July only for it to break and the waters come gushing out come August!  That was not my intent for the no buy at all (especially since I need to save money and not just in July).

What are your plans after the no buy is over?  Are you going to continue?  Are you going back to your old ways?  Any suggestions on how to avoid drowning come August?

dolceloure

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat! Making it through July will be great, but I need to keep up the non-shopping through August as well. I'm moving and starting a new job, but won't be paid til the end of September!! (*wipes away tear* stupid university jobs) So I'm not going to have any money to spend anyway. :smileysad: 

my game plan:  (a) live vicariously through everyone else on these forums, lol (b) window shop online, but stay away from the physical stores (c) allow myself to have 1 or 2 cheat days, but with tiny purchases. I've broken 2x this month, but only spent a net of $10 so I don't feel so guilty.

Apart from that, just remind yourself, that there'll always be awesome products, another sale, or another great promo. For me, I know I'm going to go crazy November-January with Sephora purchases right and left b/c of all their sales and promos, so I'm trying to stay calm until then, lol. 

Also, come August, let's start an August no-buy thread to keep the support coming. :smileywink:

poshified

For me, I think one thing I've learned to resist is Estee Lauder, Lancome, Clinique, etc Gifts with Purchase! Because honestly, I rarely use those products, and I'm just creating a bigger pile of makeup I need to donate and/or give away.

drrragon

@poshified -- tell me about it!  I have SEVEN lancome GWP mini eyeshadow palettes!  It's insane and I'll never get through them all!  (although I do love their eyeshadows lol).  I used to time my purchases around GWP but finally this year I've managed to resist....for the most part :smileyvery-happy:

poshified

That is a lot of palettes! lol There was a time when I would buy from said brands not because I needed to, but because they were holding a GWP event. I definitely fell into the marketing trap, as the lipsticks were not colors I would wear and mascaras were ones I ended up giving away because they weren't waterproof. But, now, we know better! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 655 replies
  • 1146 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • khgal
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • mrsbridger