poshified

No Buy July!

Having gone through my makeup collection extensively the past week, I've decided to go on a 'No Buy July' challenge (which includes not buying necessities such as makeup remover and brush cleansers, since I have loads of deluxe samples to go through.) As an avid supporter of both Sephora stores and Sephora.com, this might be difficult, but I'm still determined :smileyhappy:.

My goal is to make it through the entire month of July without any purchases, and if possible, until my birthday in August.

If any of you beautyholics are also planning on a No Buy July, please comment below (and help each other through the next month-ish! :smileyvery-happy:)

ellevee09

Re: No Buy July!

I think I've done pretty good this month. Considering I'm such a junkie with makeup! This month:

MAC Rihanna Makeup (doesn't count -it's not Sephora bahaha)

Ariel Mirror (doesn't count -it's for my daughter when she gets older)

Skincare mini w/bag (doesn't count  -it was for my mom)

Phewf! I'm still doing good for July. Wait, right?? hahaha However, come Aug 1st my order will be placed because my cart is loaded! hahaha... :smileyhappy:

poshified

Hahaha, doesn't count, it's not Sephora -- too funny!

veevali

[ Edited ]

Saw this online and I think it's a good representation of most of us here on BT 

image.jpg

the month is almost over ladies! Who else can sing along to this whole song?

mxcx

Hahahh this is hilarious! The Little Mermaid was my favorite Disney movie growing up and I know all the songs in there; bringing back old memoriessss. 

I want to be where the Sephoras are

I wanna see, wanna see the new launches

Displayed on those - what do you call them? - oh, shelves.

Using old products can get mundane

New ones are required for mixing, matching

Fitting perfectly inside a - what's that word again? - drawerrrr

poshified

LOVE IT! Of course, it's got Ariel to celebrate Sephora's collection :smileywink:

annonymous1

this is perfect, yes

prosopon

Perfect!

mafan

LOL, @veevali.  I agree, this sums up a number of us pretty well.  And yes, I was singing along.  If I'm not careful I'll start making up more lyrics!

mafan

I'll admit, I placed two orders this week.  The first was $20 because I got my hands on the Ariel mirror.  And I already said when I started this that I would get Ariel things if they came out this month; I knew this would not wait.

Then I placed another order yesterday.  It had the Ariel perfume rollerball and Bare Minerals mineral veil powder with SPF.  I am spending more time in the sun this summer and last time I was out long enough I had to put sunscreen over my makeup and I wanted powder to avoid that.  I saw PTR powder on sale at Marshalls and was considering that, but it was more expensive than the small compact and thinking back, I think it was for acne prone skin.  So I just got the little touchup because it will be easy to carry when I'm out and about and the powder will be nice with this humidity.  Plus, I really wanted to try the 10 day Algenist set so I figured I'd order now instead of waiting until August.

I don't see anything else that I need for myself except possibly brush cleaner, and I think what I have will make it to the end of the month.

I may end my no buy early if I take my mom to get a makeover.  She wants to try some things and desperately needs some skin care items.  I'm going to look through what I have hanging around that would be good for her.  But if we go it might be on the 28th, so things might end a bit early.  Hoping to not go nuts, because I want to find things that useful but not insanely priced.

poshified

That's really nice of you to take your mom for a makeover! Let us know what you pick up for her if you do! I'm curious myself, because my mom is one of those moms who can store her entire makeup collection in a Caboodle, haha. So I've been trying to get her to branch out.

mpolansky

Ok I don't know about you guys but I'm having a SERIOUS itch to buy makeup, so I figured I'd channel it into listing out my empties so far:

- Almay Oil-free Eye Make-up Remover Wipes
        These worked but I probably won't repurchase. They do great on everything except waterproof mascara.
- Benefit BadGal Lash Mascara Mini
        Wasn't bad but I like others better.
- Bath & Body Works Pure Paradise Mini Body Lotion
- Aveeno Calming Make-Up Wipes 
         I HATED these. Could not finish them fast enough. (If you guys have good recommendations for wipes, let me know!!!)
- Skintimate Lotion Shave Cream
- Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Eye Gel Sample
         Felt really good on my skin but I didn't notice that it "de-puffed" like it claimed.
- Juice Beauty Age Defy Samples: Cleanser, Serum, and Lotion
         My skin reacted so badly to these :smileysad: had to throw them out, didn't even finish the samples.
- Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser Sample 

This was ok but won't purchase.
- Vera Wang Princess perfume

My absolute favorite perfume. Have gone through like 3 bottles so far.
- EOS lip balm in honeysuckle honeydew

Whew! I've gone through a lot in the past couple weeks. There weren't too many makeup products finished though. Working on it!

What have you guys been doing when you get the urge to shop?

ChicDabbler

I reorganize everything, like reorganizing my stash into seasons, or by product type, or by which ones I'm planning to use next and which ones are backups. Or creating random makeup looks that I usually don't wear out at home, like those 5 colored elaborate brightly colored eye looks you see on run way.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

I do the same exact thing! I actually just re-organized mine last week. I bought a Muji 5 drawer organizer and reorganized all my makeup, putting my smaller items in there. But now its all organized the way I like so I don't want to mess with it. Maybe I'll do more experimenting with my makeup to avoid my itch to buy.

poshified

Is it just me or do you feel that by the time you get to your backup, you've found a more amazing product of the same kind? haha

prosopon

That's a lot of empties!  Great! I have to second the Say Yes To Cucumbers facial wipes.  They are great for sensitive skin.

Poshified and I are on the same wave length because I also am watching youtube hauls...and empties...and tutorials...anything and everything makeup and skin care related.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

I am doing the same with youtube videos and they worked great for awhile and now I just want the products they are raving about!

And thanks for the recommendation :smileyhappy: but I've actually tried the Say Yes to Cucumbers facial wipes. Maybe my skin is weird/super sensitive but they actually stung my skin. I used them all up but not sure if I would repurchase them.

poshified

Great minds think alike! :smileyhappy:

poshified

I watch hauls on Youtube if I ever feel the urge to shop these past few weeks. It's like I'm living vicariously through the Youtubers. That, and redirecting my purchases on other items, such as a nice clutch :smileyhappy:

I really like the YesTo Cucumbers Facial wipes! I recently branched out to Pond's and am loving them as well! The Josie Maran and Soap & Glory wipes are nice too but I just can't justify their prices, haha.

I'm currently trying to use up the Bliss Triple Oxygen Eye Gel sample, and I feel the same way as you. It's a good, quick pick me up, but I haven't noticed a difference.

Seeing the bag of empties has definitely been a rewarding feeling, oddly enough!

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the recommendation :smileyhappy: I actually have tried the Say Yes to Cucumbers wipes (I wrote an explanation on the comment above why they didn't exactly work for me). But I'll look into the Ponds ones!

colorobsession

Had a totally insane and stressful day at work, and stopped by the mall on the the way home just to walk around and decompress. Went to Sephora and got a sample of Glamglow to try and didn't buy a thing :-) Only probably now is that I'm so insanely tired I don't know if I feel like trying the mask out tonight or waiting for another day.

prosopon

Yay!  Stressful day, went into Sephora, and you still kept to the no buy.  That is definitely a triumph in my book!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 655 replies
  • 1146 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • khgal
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • mrsbridger