poshified

No Buy July!

Having gone through my makeup collection extensively the past week, I've decided to go on a 'No Buy July' challenge (which includes not buying necessities such as makeup remover and brush cleansers, since I have loads of deluxe samples to go through.) As an avid supporter of both Sephora stores and Sephora.com, this might be difficult, but I'm still determined :smileyhappy:.

My goal is to make it through the entire month of July without any purchases, and if possible, until my birthday in August.

If any of you beautyholics are also planning on a No Buy July, please comment below (and help each other through the next month-ish! :smileyvery-happy:)

wendyomgwar

Re: No Buy July!

:smileysurprised: so pretty!!

drrragon

candy!!!

prosopon

Dollars, time, and space!  I say it is a good deal!

poshified

Not too impressed with the VIB skincare sample bag with the $35 purchase, but I'm perfectly fine with that! :smileyhappy:

wendyomgwar

Hmmm... I was subconsciously thinking about what I was going to go check out I'm glad I'm leaving this weekend and I can't go visit Sephora lol. I was more interested in the 100 points. The bag actually looks cute too lol.

poshified

The bag sure is cute! I just can't justify making a purchase just for foil packet samples lol

wendyomgwar

(0) Hearts

Thats true but I just read that the 100 points are good till August 7th woohoo!! Lol I'll buy it August 1st and then go on a no buy August for the rest of the month :smileytongue: lol

mafan

(0) Hearts

But you don't get 100 pts for buying the bag, I think.  You get it for going to a store that has the Skin IQ setup and having a consultation.  At least that's how I read it -- two separate things.  And it looks like only the really big stores have those (Prudential seems to be the only one I'm seeing in MA/NH/RI).  They seem like two separate things.  (So you could get the consult and not spend much money -- it does say any purchase or spend $35 and get the bag without the Skin IQ.) 

I just wish the Skin IQ was available in more locations.

starletta8

Wait wait wait... yet another VIB email I didn't get.  What's the deal?

poshified

Instore consultation plus a purchase for an extra 100 pts. Also, if you spend $35, you get a Sephora bag with 9 foiled skincare samples :smileyhappy:

mpolansky

Can I have a little mini celebration for using up samples??? WOO thank you No Buy July for actually forcing me to use my makeup. I finally finished roughly 5 foil packets, a primer, and a mini mascara. Not bad for a girl who never uses her samples!

And still haven't bought any makeup. I'd say that calls for a double celebration!

starletta8

When I know I'm not going to be leaving the house or doing anything but errands, I make that day a testing day and don't use any full-sized products.  It makes me get through my samples (admittedly, I give 50% of mine to my mother) and try new things.

poshified

Hahaha maybe that's the reason my mom never feels the need to buy any makeup and skincare! I just give things I have dupes of or skincare for mature skin to her instead.

poshified

Hooray!!! It has definitely forced me to use up past point perks and gifts with purchase deluxe size products as well! I figured there was no point in hoarding them :smileyvery-happy: Also, deluxe sized eye creams take forever to use up. It needs to use itself up!

mpolansky

Oh my goodness I can only imagine. It took me forever just to finish an eye cream in a foil packet! Thanks again for starting this, its what I needed.

poshified

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks she has too much makeup in her collection and needs to start using it up! :smileyhappy:

mafan

I must be old and need more eye cream than you guys!  I can go through a 1/2 oz jar in 6 months if I use it morning and night.  Well, I guess that was in part when I was having such dried out eyes and putting it on 3-4 times a day.  Still, I can make a dent in a jar.  Having both All About Eyes and All About Eyes Rich open, along with the VIB Origins sample, I will take a while finishing jars, however.

But yay about finishing up samples.  I have gone through a packet of the FAB cleanser plus 2 little pots they gave me in store.  And I'm almost done with a sample of Fresh Soy Cleanser, too.  I realized I have enough mascara samples that I just tossed the one I didn't like after using it for a week.  I have a little bag that just has samples of things, either from store or packets that are on my 'use up next' list.  I'm trying different masks and exfoliators.

Of course, I have far too much stuff, but I'm trying to be good about using different things so I feel like I'm still getting new things.  And I've been using a new perfume at least once a week to try to get through a fragrance sampler and see what I'd like to actually get.  That is fun, too.  I have so many fragrance samples and I sorted some out yesterday that were dupes that I don't want (in the 'to give to someone else bag') and of course saw other things to try.

I got MelissaBT to give me this year's spend total.  That definitely got me to feel motivated by the no-spend rule, sigh.

Thanks for helping to keep me motivated.  I've also sorted out some samples I won't use, and some are going to charity.  I know they need soap and shampoo, but I bet the shelters have women who can use some moisturizers, too, and I have more samples than I could possibly use.

poshified

I'll have to take a picture of how I store my vials of perfume samples! If I mention anything about buying a perfume anytime in the next year, you have my permission to call me out lol. That Origins GinZing took forever to finish. I can finally say it's in my empties bag at the moment.

One thing I've learned is that people will always, always happily take any makeup that didn't work for me. What didn't work for me might work for them, vice versa :smileyhappy:

prosopon

I give stuff I will not use to my friends and family, but what a great sentiment to give your items to those who are really lacking!

poshified

I've learned that giving should not just be limited to the holidays :smileyhappy:

starletta8

I'm with you on eye cream- it takes me 5-6 months to use a jar. I have very thin, sensitive eye area skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 655 replies
  • 1146 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • khgal
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • mrsbridger