poshified

No Buy July!

Having gone through my makeup collection extensively the past week, I've decided to go on a 'No Buy July' challenge (which includes not buying necessities such as makeup remover and brush cleansers, since I have loads of deluxe samples to go through.) As an avid supporter of both Sephora stores and Sephora.com, this might be difficult, but I'm still determined :smileyhappy:.

My goal is to make it through the entire month of July without any purchases, and if possible, until my birthday in August.

If any of you beautyholics are also planning on a No Buy July, please comment below (and help each other through the next month-ish! :smileyvery-happy:)

drrragon

Re: No Buy July!

Whew, I have successfully managed not to buy anything today!

poshified

(0) Hearts

Received the Nordstrom Anniversary catalog today, and I can say that I will be happily passing on the beauty offers this year! :smileyhappy: The only thing that I was even remotely interested in was the NARS eyeshadows and blushes palette but after having been disappointed with NARS palettes in the past, I might pass on this.

drrragon

ooh I don't think they sent me one this year!  Last year I missed out on some good stuff because I kept waffling about whether to buy or not.  by the time I decided they were all sold out1

poshified

I wanted the NARS blush palette from the Nordstrom sale last year! It was similar to the Danmari one from Sephora.

drrragon

@poshified -- i just got the catalog in the mail!  I'm glad I wasn't as tempted this year as last year....although the NARS eye and cheek palettes look really nice.  Would definitely want one if I wasn't already full up on eyeshadow and blush.

poshified

The palette called out to me, only because they didn't include Laguna and Orgasm -- like all of their other palettes, lol!

wendyomgwar

I have yet to see this blush palette! Blushes are me weakness.... they're just so pretty!

poshified

swfupload_3740293265458070666.jpgThat was the Nordstrom exclusive NARS 'joie de vivre' blush palette from the anniversary sale last year. Everyone went bonkers trying to purchase it... including yours truly :smileyvery-happy:

wendyomgwar

OMFG. I didn't want Danmari because of Laguna and Orgasm.... and this one didn't have it? *SOBS* The beauty the beauty!!!

aviscardi

I missed out on that one too :smileysad:

ChicDabbler

*sigh* I successfully refrained from spending at Sephora (cuz the VIB benefit is no longer available)....only to direct it moments later to a light white jacket.....

#NoBuyFailed

....but at least it's not Sephora? o.O

dolceloure

I'm banning myself for financial reasons, lol. I legitimately have no money to spend on luxuries until after I move/start working again in August. I've absolutely forbidden myself to buy...well, really anything. I have 50+ perfumes and plenty of makeup. I'm actually completely out of full size skincare products, but I have enough foil packets and deluxe size samples of cleansers and creams to get on with it (the way I see it, July is skincare experimentation month for me!)

I'm hoping to continue my no-buy through August as well, with just a couple of treats on my birthday (a little at Ulta, a little at Sephora and I'll be done!) 

So far, I've only caved once this month, but it was only $3. However, that was just in the first week, so I'm a little on edge about getting through the rest of the month, lol.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

Hey all my No Buy July colleagues, just curious what kinds of rules you are following for this month's No Buy?  As mentioned below, it is kind of a personal goal and we're probably all going for different results.  

For me, I do want to cut down on the insane amount of $$$ I'm spending on stuff I don't really need, but an equally high priority is to stop adding stuff to my stash until I can at least use up some of what I already have.  So if I do buy something I need (like I'm out of acne medication or something) then I don't count that as violating my No Buy.  But if I buy another eyeshadow or lippie, that's DEFINITELY a no-no!  The nail polish, I was on the fence about since I have very few polishes anyways.

What's your No Buy philosophy?

divagirl90

[ Edited ]

I'm also on an absolute no buy. I'm kinda new to makeup/beauty and I want to get control on my spending in this area before it gets out of hand. My birthday month is next month and I don't want to spend recklessly. I'm hoping that this no-buy makes me appreciate what I already have and helps me monitor my spending more closely in the future. This is my first no buy and I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would. Usually I do low-buys where I limit the number of items that I buy to 5, and that works out well except the months were I buy 5 pricey items. I might revise my low-buy rules.

wendyomgwar

Personally I'm trying an absolute no buy, unless I get a free sample I am staying away away away from beauty stores! I think like everyone else I have way too much :smileysad: its coming to the point where I've bought doubles because I simply forgot I had a product and at that point I know I'm not even enjoying my stash. I've been cleaning out my stash and giving away the things that I honestly don't use or like. I think I might join poshified and go on a project ten pan, I need to stop just buying the next new thing.

poshified

What really made me more strict on myself this time around was seeing the number of lipglosses I had to throw out due to the change in smell. I've also donated a lot of makeup I've used once or twice, and I noticed a pattern: a good chunk were drugstore products that simply did not deliver and/or chock full of parabens. Nothing against drugstore products as some of the best mascaras and cream eyeshadows are made by Maybelline, but with the number of products that didn't work, I could have easily saved and splurged on one high-end item.

Phew. End spiel :smileyhappy:

wendyomgwar

Same, I prefer to buy a product that might cost more that I know I'll use now. When I started collecting makeup I just bought drugstore because I could get more for my money but now I'm a quality over quantity type of shopper.  

prosopon

I am on the no buy for monetary reasons And the fact that I have acculumated so much stuff, there is really no reason I should be buying anything (that's at least what I tell myself).  

Like poshified, I am going to limit myself after the no buy, except I know I wont be able to do a 10 pan.  I think I may limit myself to one item a month and any necessities I run out of.

As for the rules I am following, I am buying absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, beauty related. That includes makeup, hair products, and body products.  I have enough of everything and then some to get me through the month.

wendyomgwar

The holiday kits are just such good deals! You can't say no to 30 brilliant eye shadows with two blushes 5 lip glosses etc, its a really good way to try a lot for not so much, I'm going to try and aim for new brands this time around and stay away from lip products! I really don't need more!

poshified

I know for a fact that when the holiday season rolls around and every brand releases their line of palettes and sets, the words 'wise-spending' will probably no longer exist in my dictionary lol!

drrragon

I went pretty spend-crazy last holiday season!  That's partly the reason I've been trying to cut back all year....most of the stuff I bought over the holidays hasn't even been opened yet.  I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist when those awesome holiday sets come out this year, but I will definitely try to apply the brakes better than I did last year!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 655 replies
  • 1146 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • khgal
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • mrsbridger