cmbt

Must...Stop...Shopping...

I seriously need a Sephora intervention - I just added up all my receipts from November 23, 2011 - current, and I almost fell over...  I wonder if Sephora would be willing to block my IP Address for a few months, LOL. 

keelybt

Re: Must...Stop...Shopping...

(0) Hearts

cmbt wrote:

I seriously need a Sephora intervention - I just added up all my receipts from November 23, 2011 - current, and I almost fell over...  I wonder if Sephora would be willing to block my IP Address for a few months, LOL. 

I say this to myself every few weeks.  I was talking to one of my friends who is also a makeup artist and I asked him why I feel the need to buy so much when I need nothing. He said "because we are collectors.  You HAVE to have it".  That made me feel a little better. I like the term collector much more than hoarder (which would probably more accurate).

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

well, hoarders keep everything even when it's used up and ugly and there's no reason. Collectors are more picky, they keep things for a reason, because they are pretty, because they are popular, because they are sentimental etc.

jxw200

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i am SUCH a collector. Actually my boss at work told me this. LOL 

I am so much better than I was - a few years ago i'd order things at least once a week, and often with my mom's credit card, which is STILL saved in my sephora account. (YIKES) Now that I've gotten my collection somewhat under control, i'm much more practical and picky about what I purchase. BUT there is still alot.

I too don't do ANY shopping without my bf. lol. It is VERY helpful, and he is always helpful in reminding me how many products i already have or what i might have that's similar to what I'm looking at. (actually, he sometimes remembers products that I don't even remember! Lol) He also prevents me from spending large amounts of money at once. For example, i'm always very tempted to buy piles of things after makeovers at beauty counters, and the other day he was like "eh, i don't really like it" and that saved me the temptation of Neiman Marcus gwp's and all that hoopla. (I'm a huge sucker for free things! he keeps saying i don't even want that stuff. lol) I may still purchase but at least I'm saved from spending alot impulsively

katie, i'm going to hunt down a tom ford counter and try their shade & illuminate... if i have anything helpful to say about the blushes I'll let you know (if i discover that you dont' need them lol) I love blogs too... and now that i have my own i just want to keep buying! lol

but i still have almost 400 points... and i cashed in points during the vib sale in november, so....eeek!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I totally agree, here -- I just need to stop. I think I'm finally at the point (for now -- haha!) where I need to just use a little of what I have before I can justify buying something new...seriously. Confession: I do have ONE pending NARS order -- but, I swear, it was for a powder that's being discontinued (I bought two backups because there is no comparable product!), and a gloss I can't find anywhere! As much as I want the new 413 Bleecker collection, I'm not buying it...so that's good, right? :smileywink: I should stop reading beauty blogs (I always find things  to want!), but they're so interesting...I love reading reviews!

I am trying to be smarter, though. I've been obsessed with trying out Tom Ford's blush -- but then I look at my blush stash (I'm not even going to tell you how many I have, it's so embarrassing) and think, NO! No color could be that different than the ones you already own -- and even if they are, they're not different enough to justify buying one at this point.*

*If you own a Tom Ford blush, please don't tell me. I don't want to be tempted! :smileywink:

macuser

I have really been good this year so far, and not spent very much money at Sephora or any other make up counter. I decided at the end of the year when I threw out so many have used products that I need to get control of my spending. I use to get an average of 2 or 3 boxes a week from Sephora.  I currently have over 2000 points! To top it off I used guite a few at the end of year or I would have more:smileylol:

Last time I was in the store I only picked up a mascara that ran out. The store clerk was shocked that I was only buying 1 item  once she saw how many points I had and was just as shocked when I turned down picking up a free item (they just did not have anything I wanted).

I know once the weather turns more to spring I will probably fall of the wagon and start buying more stuff:smileywink:

Manda

[ Edited ]

-cough- Maybe I shouldn't have spent $190 with one purchase?  Luckily for me, it was all justifiable considering that I needed the products to begin with.  Got my first Nars Blush in Orgasm plus the Nars Valentines gift in the other color.  Two pack of Clarisonic brush heads.  The Sephora 10 piece Pink Brush Kit..  I think the only non justifiable one is the gold eyeshadow.  Oh wait.. I forget I order Chanel eyeshadow and Clinique's Superbalm Lipgloss from Macy's as well.

Opps..

EDIT: Oh.. I forgot I bought FAB Ultra Repair Cream 6 oz.  Silly me!

janinebt

I'm certainly in the same boat with you ladies. I stopped going to the store because I always spend well over more than I intend to (and usually leaving without what I initially intended to get), so I no longer shop in the store without my boyfriend...it sounds silly but he's very good about rushing me and he's also good about 'aren't we here for ____? Why are you looking at nail polish' haha.

Online is a free range though, and the fact that I'm on the website daily doesn't help either. I'm always reading up on new product, discovering cult classics...it's hard not to buy things. And it's easy to justify spending $50, because shipping will be free!

Whimsically yours,
Janine
prettyinpa

(0) Hearts

@janine-  I know what you mean about that free shipping- seems like my order is always forty something dollars so I go hunting around for something to bring it up to free shipping and before I know it, the order is $75 or $80.

prettyinpa

I'm on board for an intervention as long as they don't do something like slap me!  (Actually maybe a good smack upside the head would help, now that I think about it).

I average one order a month, though that's just Sephora, then there's ULTA, which is right near the Dr's office, so I always go there for a treat after seeing the Dr. Urban Decay keeps sending me tempting emails with awesome deals on their sale things, and then they come up with something like NAKED 2, which sent me into paroxysms waiting for the thing to come out, then there's MAC, who rarely but predictably comes up with a cute new lipstick or shadow....

I have never actually added up all my receipts from Sephora, but the fact that I have over 1600 beauty points and I just spent some should give me an idea that my spending is a bit excessive. I did very well in the No-Buy, I went more than a month, but I had to get a present for someone recently and fell off the wagon with a Too Faced Glamour To Go II. Oops.

caitlinashley

Thank goodness I am not alone! My Sephora addiction is out of control! It started when I was on bedrest late in my pregnancy over the summer....what better way to combat bordeom than to search around on the Sephora website! Getting that box a few days later is the best feeling ever!! It's easy for me to avoid the stores, since the closest one to me is 35 minutes away, but the website is just sooo convenient. I looked in my order hiostory and I have placed an order every 1-2 weeks since July!!!!! OMG! Much love to my fellow beauty junkies! :heart:

cmbt

I looked at my order history too, there are a couple days where I've  placed 2-3-4 order in ONE DAY!  LOL

Thankfully the closest Sephora is over an hour away from me - We have a tiny one inside a JCPenny, but their stock is always poor, so I never tend to go.  Although I hear a Sephora is being built in our mall, slated to open next month.   I'm more an online shopper to begin with, so I'll never escape the internet temptation. 

What gets me, the point perks!  I see my beauty bank as a game, a saving account, the bigger the number the better - I spend money, build my bank, cash them out, repeat.   The sick part, I never use the samples or perks. I have a drawer full of them!!

I can be such a sucker for marketing, spend more money to get something for free, (knowing I'll never use it!) - I think I'd be better off throwing my laptop out the window! 

makeupobesessed

I totally agree with you.  It is an addiction that must be stopped.

missjr

How true!  I am quite ashamed of my own Sephora addiction.  Just when I thought I could get out, Sephora  finds a way to pull me back in.  If I'm not buying stuff online then I'm rushing to the store on Friday nights on my way home.  It's "unfortunate" that the Sephora store is right by a subway exit and is quite convenient.  I try to buy stuff that's already on my shopping list, but there are times when I try to buy stuff just so I can take advantage of special offers or Beauty Insider perks.

ssmittys

@beautytester has a good idea ... but my problem is I buy from in store AND online! Avoiding the store is easier ... but avoiding the website?! nahhhhh

ChicDabbler

lol, actually avoiding the store is harder for me. With online, I can reason with myself due to shipping and I haven't tried it and waste of promo box etc etc. But with stores, you can try on anything and get samples of anything, instant gratification! Fortunately/unfortunately, the nearest Sephora is ~1 hr away, I don't have a car or real life friends interested in Sephora (boo engineers and 70% male environment).

ChicDabbler

My rule is to never waste an empty promo box. If there is a deluxe sample of stuff I want, then I pick $50 off my wishlist to buy (this keeps my splurge to ~$50 every other month). If I don't like an item I should return it (unfortunately for my wallet, this only happened once).

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 59 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • ssmittys
    • prettyinpa
    • macuser
    • jxw200