starletta8

Most Unexpected Recent Beauty Love

Time to confess- what is/are your most recent unexpected beauty love(s)?

That is, what products were you sure that you'd hate- whether it be a color that you dismissed until you tried it- or something you'd written off prior to sampling- that shockingly you not only like, you love?

I'll start.

For nails, it's Julep Nan. I thought it was the dud of the June collection- some murky tomato red. Even when I got the bottle in person, I doubted I'd ever wear it.  I still thought it was meh when I swatched it and got it ready to file into the collection.  On a whim, I put it on my nails, and it was love.  I still haven't worn any of the other colors I got this month!

For hair, it's Living Proof Nourishing Styling Cream.  I don't need a lot of products, but this just smells delicious and makes my hair do amazing things.

For perfume, it's Aqua di Gioia. I tend to shy away from the mass favorites- and found instead something that reminds me of my first perfume love, Clinique Happy.

starletta8

Re: Most Unexpected Recent Beauty Love

(0) Hearts

Ahhh.. I have a new lust: everything by Caudalie that I've tried!

I picked up a "best of" kit on a total whim last week and I've been in love with every single item in it.  Why have I not tried this brand before?

Beauty Elixir- Feels amazing

Cleansing Water- I think I've found my new makeup remover

Lip Conditioner- I've been on a hunt for a good natural lip balm. Winner!

Hand and Nail Cream- I've used almost half of the 1oz tube already because it's just that awesome.

Divine Oil- my elbows, heels,and cuticles are practically purring!

I have to restrain myself from going to the store and trying all the products. I could kick myself for not trying the brand until now!

clarks18

(0) Hearts

For me it would probably be lash primer. I had bought the Tarte lash primer and didn't use it at first because I thought it was a gimmick.  There are primers and bases for everything now that I didn't think it would make any difference to my lashes.  I was completely wrong.  It makes a world of difference.  It looks like I am wearing false lashes.  Also it makes them smooth and not dry or clumpy.  I just bought my second tube of it today.  

Meg82

For me it was Lancome Hypnose Star mascara.  Prior to trying it I had never been able to put on mascara because I have a tremor and so detail work is hard for me.  But I ended up with a sample of it from the summer starter kit thingy so I decided to try even though I felt cranky and skeptical about it.  

The wand is really differently shaped than the wands I was used to and it helped me to apply it.  It was so exciting!  Suddenly I could wear mascara!  Now mascara is like my necessity makeup.  I never leave the house without putting it on.

rikkie

That's really exciting! Mascara can transform your look so quickly, I would hate to be unable to wear it. Glad you found something that works out so well! 

Meg82

It has totally changed (improved) my look.  I wear glasses so sometimes my eyes get lost, even when I do shadow but with the mascara it's like my eyes pop.  i love it.

drrragon

(0) Hearts

I wear glasses too and mascara makes such a huge difference!  I don't know what I was thinking when I used to run around with eyeshadow, eyeliner, but no mascara!  Now it's a must have for me.

PoshDarling

(0) Hearts

Definitely Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation. I bought it based on the reviews, thinking it couldn't live up to my beloved Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, but it does, all the while offering even more coverage. It also keeps my t-zone matte much longer. So glad I gave it a try!

LCResz

Mineral powder foundation! I was always a liquid foundation girl (LOVE Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation!) but I hated wearing makeup every day because I felt too "done up". Then I visited Sephora friend friend who was picking up a refill of Bare Minerals for herself, and the consultant offered to let me try out the product as well. I was hooked! I love how it looks and feels on my skin. I picked up Laura Mercier this lsat visit because Real Sand is a better color match for me than Bare Minerals Fairly Medium, and now I mix the two together for a really great color!

I will still use my Bobbi Brown foundation for big nights out when I want to look especially wow though :smileywink:

michmo

First Aid Beauty - Facial Radiance Serum

I bought First Aid Beauty's new Facial Radiance Serum because I like FAB's other products, and I had never tried a serum before.  So I thought I'd give it a shot, but didn't have high expectations.  

To my surprise it has made my skin look amazing.  It has smoothed the texture, made my dark spots disappear, and given me a glowing appearance.  I am so beyond happy with it. I went from no expectation for it to it being my HG skin care.  

missjr

Great topic!  My most unexpected recent beauty love is from the Tarte line.  I recently took advantage of the Tarte 500 point beauty perk, which had some great goodies I've wanted to try for some time.

I love the Amazonian Clay 12-hour blush in shade, Exposed.  It's a nude shade that is subtle, yet matte, and great for any skin tone, even dark ones like mine.  I don't know if it lasts 12 hours, but it stays on for a long time with no need for touch-ups. 

I also received a sample of the Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder.  This powder is translucent white so I was a little nervous about using it.  But it is perfect especially with the hot and humid weather we have been having.  Not only do I get a matte finish, but it also shrinks my pores!  Plus, it's not cakey and it doesn't give me that ghostly look that African American women sometimes get with translucent powders.

Another great beauty love is the Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil.  Although I haven't used it on my face yet, I have used a few drops on my cuticles and have even used it for my hair, which is thick and course.  It's not heavy and doesn't weigh my hair down.  When the weather gets cooler, I fully intend to use it as a part of my nighttime skincare regimen.

I had already been using the Tarte Lights, Cameras, Lashes! mascara and it's my HG mascara.  Now, Tarte will definitely be getting some more of my business because I will be purchasing full size products.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I've got a new one: Too Faced Better than Sex mascara.

I bought it because the name made me snicker, and I'll be darned if it isn't an awesome mascara.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

One other....I was given a sample of GLAMGLOW Supermud mask.  I thought no mask was worth that type of money.

It's by far the most horrifying and awesome beauty product I've ever used.  I cracked and bought a full-sized one.

It's so disgusting to see the crap literally coming out of your pores, but satisfying at the same time.

rikkie

(0) Hearts

I got a sample of the Tingling & Exfoliating Mud Mask tossed into one of my recent Sephora orders as a fourth sample and I LOVED it. I think I will have to buy the full size of both now, but since I spotted it 45% off Sephora's price on Amazon I think I'll be able to forgive myself not getting BI points! 

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I like the Tingling & Exfoliating Mud Mask!! When i bought the GlamGlow mask i got the one that came the Mud mask and two little tubes of the Exfoliating one. And i liked that one better!! I'm out of the little tubes now!! But my face was crazzyyy soft!

jellybean917

I have a gorgeous collection of whiteheads on my chin - do you think the GLAMGLOW mask would extract them for me?

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I have the same problem! The glamglow mask didn't do too much to help them. I'm almost done with the jar and haven't seen too much difference in them. But i've never been able to get those to go away! Only with the Ole Henrikson Power Peel have they ever disappeared for more than a few days. 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I don't know if it'll be a cure-all, but it should reduce the size of them.  I would ask for a sample in-store.  If they don't have packets, they should have a tester. My sample came from the tester at my local SiJCP- which they keep on the shelves behind the register.  So I felt better that it's really hard to go grab and stick your fingers in.

It didn't totally cure all of my clogged pores, but I saw a visible difference in my skin after 1 use.  As I mentioned, it's both awesome and disgusting because all of the dark spots are oils and junk being lifted out of your pores. Looks similar to the blue Illamasqua speckled nail polish- EWWW.

dottiemay1221

I was sure that I was not going to like Wen's Cleansing Conditioner.  I took a chance, tried it and now I absolutely love it!  My hair looks the best that it ever has! 

(I have fine, blonde, color treated hair.)

ChicDabbler

Nail arts.

I never really cared for nails, but Kimmi and Starletta's influences rubs off on me and I started looking at nail arts/colors. The OPI nail polish sale finally doubled my nail polish stash, which consist of...5 items previously, and allow me to experiment with nail arts.

Another contributing factor is that I have a bit more time over the summer so now I experiment with glitter, strips, dots, tips and different color combinations. Previously I'll wear a coat of polish once a month or something if I feel fancy, but right now (cuz I just got the last batch of polish I ordered) I've done: peach polish with gold/silver glitter, mint/gold/white stripe, red glitter tip, and bright pink/coral background with gold/white dots/bubbles.

starletta8

Glad to be a nail enabler!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 56 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic