starsandbucks

Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

[ Edited ]

I was just looking through the "What Are You Wearing" thread and looking through the list of products I suddenly realized I very rarely use concealer under my eyes anymore. It used to be one those "will not leave the without it" items. It got me thinking back to a moment many, many, MANY years ago at a Clinique counter...

I can't remember what I was shopping for (probably super double face powder because that was my HG back then. I think I was around 20 when this story happened - I'm 39 now for reference.) So anyway, the sales lady was trying to upsell me on a bunch more products of course (which, I was 20 and in college - good luck getting blood from that stone, lady) and this is what she said to me word-for-word:

"Honey, you're gorgeous but those dark circles are distracting me from the rest of your face."

Whhaaaaattt??? I honestly can't remember how I reacted or if I bought the product I went in for originally. I know that I did NOT buy any concealer though! 

Have a couple more to post but BT is being super iPad unfriendly lately!

I don't want to open up any wounds with this post. Just hopefully dumb stuff SAs have said to you that you can look back on and laugh about now!

Tirah

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I've been fumbling around trying to find the right foundation color. I got the Color IQ done at Sephora but the brand I wanted (Urban Decay) wasn't one of my matches. The sales lady matched me with 4.0 and the swatch on my neck looked great (my face and jaw is too flushed in the summer time to get an accurate match) so I happily bought it. However after doing a whole face at home I discovered that it will be absolutely perfect come winter time but right now its a little too light. While I decided to keep it, I still needed a better match for summer. Not wanting to spend another $40 bucks on something that is not quite right I ducked into an Ulta next to my job to test out UD's 5.0 (the next step darker). Not wanting to trust a small swatch on my neck this time I asked a sales lady if they did samples. The lady rolled her eyes at me and said "we're not Sephora, we don't do samples". Something else they didn't do that day was get my business.

makeupbysophiak

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

(0) Hearts

I've kind of noticed a huge theme- if you're young, you can't shop here. 

I realized that I'm actually a huge example of it. I, when I'm alone, get confused to be about 18 or 19. Salespeople treat me like a regular customer. However, when I'm with my friends who all appear to be 14 or 15, the salespeople give us the biggest case of cold shoulder. 

MintyLotus

(0) Hearts

The one and only time I ever went to get my hair cut (a family friend paid), the lady would not stop commenting on how much hair I have. I'm sure she meant well, but I was 12 and was very embarrassed. I'm Asian with thick, wavy hair and that community was mostly white.

Shrewdle

(0) Hearts

Recently, I was at my local Sephora intending to scope out the Hourglass Opaque Rouge Lipstick, and didn't find it anywhere. I thought no big deal, I probably missed it, I'll just ask someone later (all the SAs were busy at the time). So I make my way to the back of the store, and was browsing skincare products for a while when a nice blonde SA lady asks me "Are you looking for anything in particular?" 

I tell her that I'm looking for the Hourglass lipsticks, and she didn't know where the Hourglass lipsticks were either, so she finds another SA and asks her where they are. This second SA turns over, looks at me and says in the most sassy, condescending manner "You know that Hourglass is a makeup brand right? You're in the skincare section...lipsticks aren't part of skincare. All of the makeup brands are up there in the front of the store." Then she goes to a male SA "Show this young lady here where the Hourglass stuff is." (I'm in my late 20's btw...I'll tolerate someone much, much older than me calling me a 'young lady', but seriously this SA was in her 30's maybe, and I felt totally talked down to). 

I was so upset and humiliated that I left the store almost immediately after that. Sephora is supposed to a fun happy place for me, but that kind of treatment made me feel like I could not step into the Raleigh Sephora again. Oh well, at least I still have online shopping!! :smileyhappy: 

caperella

I'm extremely pale. Because of this, when I went to Las Vegas last summer, I stuck out like a sore thumb. While I was there, I had my make up done at the Sephora in the Venetian for fun. The sales associate used the Color IQ to choose which foundation to use. She performed the test the first time, seemed confused and shook her head, re-did the test and started mumbling "...can't be right.. never seen someone that light.. can't be that light .." I laughed and assured her that it was okay, I was truly that fair. 

Shrewdle

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I don't get the whole obsession with being tan. Nothing wrong with being tan naturally, but some people make it seem like being pale is a crime! The ironic thing is many naturally tan or dark skinned people in the world wish to be pale, while many pale people wish to be tan! Just like a lot of girls with straight hair want to have curly hair and those with curly hair want it straight!! People can be so contradictory... 

caperella

(0) Hearts

Exactly! I've grown to embrace my fair skin. I'd rather be fair and skin cancer free. :smileyhappy:

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

I love being pale! I prefer the great indoors so I can stay pale!

Marika123

I had very unpleasant experience with Chanel counter too. I just finished a long project at my work and was feeling like a splurge, so I went to Bloomingdales to get Chanel Loose Powder that I wanted really bad for a while. I should probably mention that the average customer at the closest mall would be well dressed mature woman, and I do look like a teenager without any makeup on, plus I really enjoy wearing shorts and flip-flops for my weekend shopping.

Anyway, it was early in the morning and there was noone at Chanel counter, so I was just wondering around the store trying to find someone to help me. Finally this guy came and asked what I was looking for. I explained that I was going to buy Chanel Loose Powder, but I wanted to have it applied to my face first to see if I like how it looks (I think this is quite reasonable considering the price). He looked at me as if I was begging for money and said "We don't have testers for this particular product, maybe try a different store". I felt so bad because of the look he gave me, but I felt even worse when I actually saw testers for that loose powder when I was leaving the store.

Luckily, this story has a happy ending. I didn't feel like shopping that day anymore, but my husband was like "what do you mean you don't feel like shopping? Just go to a different store", so I went to Nordstrom and actually met the nicest lady at Chanel counter. Not only she answered all of my questions, but also applied both loose and pressed powder so that I could compare them, and really took her time to find a good color match. She had spent good 20 minutes with me, but after that I was sure that the powder was exactly what I was looking for. I also mentioned that I'm curious about their cream blushes, but i made it clear that I was not going to buy them that day. So the lady also showed me those blushes along with regular powder blushes, told me all about them, and explained why she thinks that powder blush would actually look better on me. She also said that there's this shade which she thinks would look lovely on me, and she was right - it did look great. So she wrote down the shade number for me in case I would want to buy it in future (without "You have to get it now" vibe)

I guess that is just a smart strategy - the next time I feel like a splurge, I would most likely come back to that lovely lady and get the blush that I liked :smileyhappy:

Girly2Shoes

Glad you ended up having a decent experience. I've had way too many times that the customer service ladies would turn and walk away from me, and refused to serve me- is it because I'm a man? One drug store person was very helpful, and when the other lady was back from break she refused to help and would not even give a comment. She was nearly crying!  An other lady and a man came over and this lady rang my purchase through then the man told me never to come back in to the store. 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

That makes me sad, and I apologize to you on their behalf. You should not be treated that way!

starsandbucks

[ Edited ]

It always amazes me when stores act like my money isn't as green as the next person's. I don't know if it's my tattoos? Because to me they're such a part of my body that I don't even see them anymore and I often forget that people will look at them and probably make a judgement about me just by looking at my outward appearance. Buy I'm a shy, quiet person. I have a good job. I'm kind to animals. I'm about as boring as you can get! :smileyhappy:

For quite a while I consistently was getting horrible service at my local Sephora. It was to the point where I would plan my shopping visits right when the mall opened on Sunday morning so the store would be empty and MAAAAYBE I could get some service, but more often than not I still wasn't, or it was the bare minimum. I finally started filling out the surveys and mentioned that I was spending more and more at Nordstrom where the sales associates recognize that, hey, my money actually holds the same value as the next persons and they were tripping over themselves to help me find products that interested me and I'd often purchase more than I even intended. And now I've noticed that the service at my Sephora is night and day. I think they've finally got the picture!

You don't have to be a 25 year old perfectly put together fashionista and you don't have to be an older Chanel head-to-toe fresh-from-the-salon-just-got-my-hair-set type to be ready spend $$$ at the cosmetics counter! There are soooo many of us who fall in between and waaaay outside of that spectrum! Now take our money!!!

Sorry to thread hijack! I guess it struck a nerve! :smileyvery-happy:

Edit: OMG: this is my first post as a Hall of Famer!!!

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

Yay HOF - and yes I agree with you! I work in the veterinary field and even through school they try to teach us to not judge based on appearance...the person who looks like they have the least is usually the one willing to spend the most :smileyhappy:

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

Thanks for your sharing, it's amazing how some people treat others. Congrats on reaching the new level! 

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

First of all, congratulations on becoming a Hall of Famer, starsandbucks! That is very exciting! 

I am glad that you took advantage of the surveys that we offer in our stores. It sounds like the store actually took all of the feedback to heart and improved the service based on your opinion. I am sure all of the other clients who shop in the store are happy about the improvement as well :smileywink:

Best,
Randee
Sonny4President

OH GOD, I'm gonna play the ethnicity card because I'm Asian and I feel like it's safe talking about it... THIS WOMEN... oh my... I don't even know if she's one of the managers of the cosmetic brands in my closest Macy's... but when I walked in and asked someone to help put some Chanel eye shadow on my friend, she said... "OH, Im sorry... you need to buy something first"

I politely said, "Really?" I was humble enough to not even mention how I'm actually a loyal customer to Chanel, I slyly asked, "Is Cuong working today?" a close friend of mine who works in Chanel, she said... he doesn't work here anymore! I didn't even know what to say... I was like oh my god really? Do you know where he went? Then she started talking about how money talks louder - and how he probably is working at a place that pays more...

After, she started introducing my friend to some products... I was curious myself if they had the mini deluxe version of the resync. collection, but they did not... THEN and this part totally FREAKED ME OUT that she even said this... she started bashing on other brands, saying Chanel is the best, SHE EMPHASIZED that Clinque is "OMG, It's SO TERRIBLE" - all of this... in a different language so no one else could understand, besides me and my friend...

SO Sketchy, she is a BAD rep for Chanel, Cuong made me fall in love with Chanel... I remember him saying, "If my customers trust me, they trust in Chanel." it has always stuck with me... this lady... urg repulsive... her lipstick was uneven as well, trying to give the illusion of bigger lips gone wrong basically. She was bashing on EVERY SINGLE DEPARTMENT... I feel like they all have drama, minus MAC, MAC is just... MAC haha

The reason I say there's tension is because when I went to Clinque, I asked for the Eyemakeup remover... and I was talking about how I was looking into Chanel's removers as well... the rep glanced at the chanel place to see no one was looking and told me... "As long as you get it off... right?" I agree'd with her instinctively, but in my head... sketch sketch sketch running through my mind haha

CRAZIEST thing I've ever heard, urg... makes me mad how all she cares about is sales and not the trust of her customers, I would file a complaint if I knew her name for sure...

Crazy4Sephora1

This happened several years ago at a high end salon. I was getting my hair cut and I just really didn't click with the stylist. She gave off a weird vibe. My intuition kept telling me to find another stylist but I just thought that her job was to cut my hair and not be my buddy. I was a client for almost a year and told her from the beginning that I went to another salon for five years to have my hair colored and that I didn't plan on changing colorists. For some reason, I always had my hair cut first and then made my coloring appointment. One day, the stylist just flipped out. She told me the following..

"Next time don't come in here until you get your hair colored first. Seeing your roots is affecting my emotional well being."

I had touch ups like clockwork every six weeks. At the most she was probably seeing a centimeter or two of gray. I told this story to my colorist and she couldn't believe it. She told it to her co-workers and they asked her if I was a liar since the story was so crazy. She told them that I told the story to her several times and the story was always the same.

I would like to add that this stylist was constantly trying to talk me into services she knew I couldn't afford like $300 straightening treatments and making backhanded remarks like, "You should get a facial. It's relaxing and you could really use it."

I never went back to that salon again. I now go to Ulta where I get the best haircuts of my life and I also pay half of what I did at the other salon.

Girly2Shoes

Way to go girl! !

RandeeBT

That stylist sounds so rude, Crazy4Sephora1! It sounds like you are much better off without her! 

Best,
Randee
heatherbee

If seeing roots in a salon affects her emotional well being, she has much larger issues going on...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 155 replies
  • 235 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • emmaclaire
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mrsbaine
    • jenpred