starsandbucks

Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

[ Edited ]

I was just looking through the "What Are You Wearing" thread and looking through the list of products I suddenly realized I very rarely use concealer under my eyes anymore. It used to be one those "will not leave the without it" items. It got me thinking back to a moment many, many, MANY years ago at a Clinique counter...

I can't remember what I was shopping for (probably super double face powder because that was my HG back then. I think I was around 20 when this story happened - I'm 39 now for reference.) So anyway, the sales lady was trying to upsell me on a bunch more products of course (which, I was 20 and in college - good luck getting blood from that stone, lady) and this is what she said to me word-for-word:

"Honey, you're gorgeous but those dark circles are distracting me from the rest of your face."

Whhaaaaattt??? I honestly can't remember how I reacted or if I bought the product I went in for originally. I know that I did NOT buy any concealer though! 

Have a couple more to post but BT is being super iPad unfriendly lately!

I don't want to open up any wounds with this post. Just hopefully dumb stuff SAs have said to you that you can look back on and laugh about now!

heatherbee

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I feel like I was the one who did the offending today, but I won't change my position :smileyvery-happy:   I was at the Tom Ford counter at Neiman Marcus, and I came to the lipsticks.  The associate was nice and attentive, and she came by to assist me.  She then asked if I would like to try any on, and I informed her that I choose not to apply tester lipsticks.  She rudely replied that they clean them well.  Lady, I'm sure the custodians clean the toilets well, but I don't want them touching my lips, either!  For something that everyone puts their grubby little hands on (including me) all day long, it should be easily understood why I wouldn't want those on my mouth, even if you do spritz a little alcohol on them. 

upload_3368097514640878095.gif

AlwaysGlamorous

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I saw someone using a doe foot applicator to test a lipstick color on their lips while I was in a Sephora store on Thursday. I ALMOST said something..... 

gogreyhound

gross! that's just wrong...for her, and for anyone who comes along after her!! 

AlwaysGlamorous

yes, yes, yes. a million times yes!

heatherbee

That's very gross, because one minute before I was putting it on my hand, and five minutes before me, someone's toddler was licking it    :/

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

UM YEAH. Did I mention I was *literally* swatching every YSL coral or orange lippie on my hand at the time? (It was a YSL lipstick she was trying on) I was hoping she would look up and see me swiping lip product on my "just got off public transit" hands...So I promise you all, BTers, that I will speak up next time. I'm now regretting that I didn't. :smileysad: 

heatherbee

(0) Hearts

But she made the choice to put that on her lips when she knows that people touch them.  It would be different if she were under the belief that the lipstick was clean and untouched, but she knows that people go to Sephora just to touch the makeup.  And does it make it better if you know who was just touching it before you, or if you don't know? hehe

TeemaB

I am EXTREMELY SHORT! Like shorter than  5 feet tall short :smileytongue: I always get mistaken for 10 year olds when in fact I'm 23. Its annoying when SA's don't take me seriously because they think I'm a kid talking to them or a little girl whose acting "too mature" for her age. I dont ask to be liked...I just asked to be respected with some common decency. When I ask some SA's for help they'll literally look down at me...stare and probaly think in their heads "This little girl can't be serious" and then they reply "Hold on I'm coming back" and they never bother coming back. I had SA tell me they would take me more seriously if I didnt look like a kid or wore some makeup so that they can tell I was older. Excuse me....I love my no makeup days. 

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

As a man, I have a hard time finding help at my Sephora. Not many will help me, I try to find someone who looks like they might help me. 

AlwaysGlamorous

WOOOOOWWW! Not cool. And I feel you -- on the weekends, I sometimes really really don't feel like putting on any makeup so I'll run out without it on and I definitely notice a difference in how I am treated. I'm tall but I look pretty young (i.e. I was in a movie theater a few months ago and the security guard standing at the door of our R-rated movie stopped me specifically out of my group of friends and asked if I was even 18. I was like...I'm almost 25.) so I think I probably get treated similarly to you. It's sure annoying, I'll say that! 

CuriousCannibal

I've had plenty of uncomfortable comments from SA's, but the most memorable thing is when I was getting threaded for the first time. I was 13-14, had tons of acne, and no self esteem. The girl threading me was only a few years older than me, also had acne, but she had the audacity to say, "Your skin is pretty terrible. It looks bad and it's so dry. If you took better care of it, it would look better."

Uhhhhh, THANKS. Not like I didn't realize how bad my skin was.

sjpayne

I generally give off a "leave me the h*ll alone" vibe when I'm not at work.  I get comments about looking young occasionally, but that's about it.

I get all sorts of comments when I'm at work.  It's as though my friendly demeanor, and the fact that I'm a retail manager, means I don't just deal with abuse, I welcome it.

I've had people comment on:

-my hair color: "Is that your natural color?" (um, yeah, the highlights that start an inch down my skull uniformly, obvs natural)

-my height: "Man, you're short. What's that like?  Do you carry a ladder everywhere?  Say hello to the lollipop kids!" (I AM 5'3" ITS NOT THAT SHORT)

-my shoulders: "You shouldn't wear strapless tops.  You have man shoulders.  Did you play football?  You could be a linebacker!"

-my butt: "Girl, I don't know how to tell you this, but you got a big ol' booty back there!"

-and, of course, the age ones: "Can I speak to the manager?" (I tell them that's me) "No, there's no way you're the manager.  You couldn't be older than 17." (guess what a-hole?  I'm 30.  You must be too old to recognize the difference).  People see my 11 year old son (who is the size of a 14 year old) and ask if he's my little brother, all the time.

Although, the single most offensive things people say aren't meant to be offensive.  If I offer to carry a big bag of dog food to the front of the store or to a customer's car, I'll often get a "Oh no, honey.  Let a man do that." Excuuuuuuse me.  I can lift and carry 40 pounds while simultaneously having breasts.  It doesn't require witchcraft.

Smokey123

I used to work retail too, but my 'leave me the he__ alone'  attitude was not a vibe. It was an attitude since when I wasn't working, I was a bit of a loner and truly wanted to be left alone. Lol, it's a miracle I ever met my husband! People also made comments regarding my height, but I'm only 5'.  I love the comment about being able to lift 40 lbs, I used to have people all over the place trying to 'help' me do my job. I know exactly how you feel -- commiserating with ya!! :smileyhappy:

vivalasydney

My experience isn't too bad, but it's one of those little things disguised as a compliment when in reality it's just a little rude comment in my opinion. I usually don't get upset over this, very rarely I do, but I have very long hair, well it's at the length where it just hovers over my butt, and I was walking in the mall passed the straightener and extension kiosk and one of the sales people started to heckle at me what kind of extensions I use. I politely told her it was my own, real hair with a smile and she persisted on telling me it was fake and that it just "can't be real." I walked away annoyed because unlike her I don't have to subject myself to a situation that makes me feel unpleasant and I was over it pretty quick, but it just gets annoying at times when you deal with the same questioning that your hair is fake all the time! Lol extensions might be the new thing right now, but there are still a few of us with natural, long hair people!

Speaking on the long hair subject, I got questioned this same thing at school by a fellow classmate rather than an SA if my hair was real, and I once again politely said yes, it's my real hair I don't wear extensions and of course, my classmate trying to call some sort of bluff ran over to me and proceeded to tug on the ends of my hair to see if any clips (that I don't have -_- ) would come loose. That was honestly the starting point where that comment started to piss me off that people would go to that length to call you a liar lol like it's kind of sad.

Needless to say it's just one of those things!!! You girls feel me??? Hahah :smileyhappy:

CuriousCannibal

I can actually relate to this. My hair is extremely curly so it looks short, but it's a little longer when straightened. My freshman year of college (and this is before I chopped my hair off to the length its at now, it was past my shoulders when curly, but almost to my waist when straight) in this music class, these girls would always comment on how my curly hair couldnt possibly be mine, because "curly hair just can't grow THAT long."

whatever, no biggie, I get comments like that all the time.

Well, one day I came to class with straight hair, and they were flabbergasted. They started messing with me (looking back, it was kind of bullying), telling me to admit my hair was fake and to stop lying, and then one of them PULLED MY HAIR. 

I was beyond shocked, and felt extremely uncomfortable in that class after that. They apologized once they realized it was actually real, but still.

Besides that, people always ask to touch my hair. They tug it, rub it....it used to irk me, but now I know that most people are just fascinated by my hair when they find out it's actually natural. 

starsandbucks

(0) Hearts

Oh my God that's horrible! Nobody has the right to violate your personal space like that or touch your hair! And just what if you did have extensions? (Which of course you didn't!) But what on earth was that person trying to prove??? Trying to humiliate you just for kicks? That's messed up. It's no one business in the first place but when you've already answered their question, like, accept the answer and move on people!

starsandbucks

(0) Hearts

I keep thinking of new ones!!! This one is more recent...just about a year ago. So I'm a single woman and I live in an expensive city (Los Angeles). I don't have anyone else to rely on. It's just me but I do ok! I was splurging on myself at a day spa in Calabasas (very well-to-do area) getting a facial. This doesn't happen often, and to be honest, my skin is pretty ok and it's more for relaxation and to treat myself than for trying to fix any issues. 

So once it's done (and it was lovely) the esthetician starts giving me the 2nd degree about AAAALLLLLL the sun damage on my face and how I need to join their facial club, which cost some ungodly amount of $$$$ I had no way of paying every month. So she ushers me into an office with one of the sales ladies who goes over all the pricing of the "club" and I'm so embarrassed because I can't afford it and have NO intention of joining and just sort of got swept into this room without knowing what was happening. So instead of just enjoying my little splurge day I had to end it by flat out saying, "I can't afford this. It's not in my budget and it will never be in my budget." And have my freckles insulted. :smileysad:

kellsmuneoka

I stayed in Calabasas for a while with my cousin. They're VERY different from the people I'm used to lol.

jenpred

(0) Hearts

LOL so true! I live about 15 minutes away from Calabasas and it's like I'm on a totally different planet...

ilovetopurplefy

When I went to the freestanding Sephora store a few weeks ago with my mom and my grandma, the first person to ask if I need help was the manager of the store. I told her I was looking for a new foundation and primer  because my current ones were not working out with my oily skin and I also wanted to pick up some other things for myself, Mom and Grandma. I purposefully did not wear any makeup because I knew I was going to be matched plus my hair was tied back and I was dressed in sweatpants and an old softball jersey.

She looked really confused and said "Why do you need foundation? You're only like 12 or 13 so you need a tinted moisturizer. I'll get someone to help you because I have to manage the floor." I told her that I wasn't 12 or 13 and that I wanted a new foundation and primer. Annoyance started coursing through my veins. So she got someone to help me and told her that I was 12-13 and needed a tinted moisturizer and some lip balm.  The SA came over to me and asked me what I was looking for because she doubted what her boss told her. She got me EXACTLY what I wanted and convinced me to buy some other things.

After we were finished, I asked her if they were hiring and she said they were. I told her that I was looking for a summer job so I can make some cash before I go back to school. She was confused because her boss told her I was 12 or 13 and that I look really young. I told her it wasn't her fault and that I get that a lot when I don't wear makeup and I'm in sweats.I also showed her my driver's license to prove that I am almost 19 and not the age her boss told her I was.

She apologized for her boss's behavior and asked me if I needed anything else which I did not. She checked me out and added some additional samples in my bag. She was really nice and wonderful.

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

The manager was that rude, and you want to work for her? 

0_o

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 152 replies
  • 234 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • emmaclaire
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mrsbaine