Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

[ Edited ]

I was just looking through the "What Are You Wearing" thread and looking through the list of products I suddenly realized I very rarely use concealer under my eyes anymore. It used to be one those "will not leave the without it" items. It got me thinking back to a moment many, many, MANY years ago at a Clinique counter...

I can't remember what I was shopping for (probably super double face powder because that was my HG back then. I think I was around 20 when this story happened - I'm 39 now for reference.) So anyway, the sales lady was trying to upsell me on a bunch more products of course (which, I was 20 and in college - good luck getting blood from that stone, lady) and this is what she said to me word-for-word:

"Honey, you're gorgeous but those dark circles are distracting me from the rest of your face."

Whhaaaaattt??? I honestly can't remember how I reacted or if I bought the product I went in for originally. I know that I did NOT buy any concealer though! 

Have a couple more to post but BT is being super iPad unfriendly lately!

I don't want to open up any wounds with this post. Just hopefully dumb stuff SAs have said to you that you can look back on and laugh about now!

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

(0) Hearts

Uh what world do you live in where people look for jobs based on who the manager is?  I'm assuming purplefy needed the money (you know… like she explicitly said) and didn't mind working retail.  People generally apply to places because a) they need the money regardless of the particular job, b) they like the area (such as retail or hospitality), c) they like the store, like Sephora.  The fact that a manager was kind of a butt isn't going to put money in purplefy's pockets so I'm a little confused where your 'tude is coming from.

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I don't think m3rma1d was trying to cop an attitude but rather point out that the manager who she had that encounter with would also be her manager, if she got the job Smiley Happy I see where you're coming from emmaclaire; I just don't think she meant it to be rude. 

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

(0) Hearts

Every time I walk through Sears to get into the mall, I either skirt around the cosmetics counters at a fast pace with my head down or go throuh the bottom floor instead lol Smiley Very Happy The sales people are so pushy and usually rude, which is why I avoid it and The Bay and shop at Sephora. The cosmetic counters at US department stores like Macy's and Nordstroms seem to have much nicer, less pushy people. 

An SA comes up to me while I have no makeup and I'm in sweats and a hoodie and she obviously comes next to me because I look "shady" and when she comes up to me she's like, "Can I help you?" in a sassy voice and I ask  where the SK-II stuff is and she just stares at me for 10 seconds and she's like, "oh really?"....ARE YOU JOKING? Hmm, did I stutter? No. af168-tumblr_muzui3kyi91r02p9xo1_500.gif

Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm going to steal stuff. Bless her soul I'm going to Nordstrom. 

(0) Hearts

Did this happen at the Sephora at Ala Moana by any chance? I had a very rude SA there last year! Maybe it was the same one lol Smiley Very Happy

(0) Hearts

YES! Oh my gosh they think they're all that when it's the customer whose actually making the company money. 

(0) Hearts

I agree! I asked an older SA about a product and she basically just walked away and got another SA, so then I asked her the same question. She said they didn't have it in yet and the first SA goes "see! I told you!" and walked away. The second SA, my mom and I all looked at each other like o.0

For the most part, the ladies at Ala Moana Nordstrom are quite nice and attentive.  A few others seem to be too busy judging...

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love the ladies there. It's so weird because I always hear mixed things about the workers but maybe I've just been lucky and go at good times?  I've just been having bad experiences with Sephoras in Hawaii so I usually just go to Nordstrom now Smiley Sad it sucks because the sephora in pearl ridge is so close to me.

(0) Hearts

I use brow gel to shape my eyebrows. I got a facial at the Origins counter, and afterwards, the SA left my eyebrow hairs going all willy-nilly without smoothing them quickly back into place. 

Since she washed all of my makeup off, I wanted to get home (not being comfortable without makeup in public at the time) and rushed past a SA from the Benefit Brow counter, who practically shouted an offer to fix my eyebrows for me. I was rushing too fast to promise her that my eyebrows didn't normally look that way, lol. Smiley Wink

Oh man, this thread reminds me of this meme I read yesterday: trix.jpg

I don't understand why people feel the need to tell other people their negative opinions. They are either busybodies who probably should mind their own business (even if they think that they are only trying to provide constructive feedback to "help" others), or people who are so unhappy in their lives that they need to make everyone else as unhappy as they are. 

Now, if it's telling someone that they have toilet paper on their shoe, or spinach in their teeth (something that the person can/would want to fix) then that's okay. I only go out of my way to compliment strangers. 

This one is just people in general: "You would so good if you (fill in the blanks with)

• dyed your hair back to a normal colour
  • didn't wear "manly" clothing
  • took out all your piercings 
  • dressed more feminine and wore feminine make-up ( not the heavy black eyeliner) etc

and the list goes on...

I will look and dress however the he!! I want. Geez! lol

I think I've been fortunate though, I haven't had many bad experiences shopping. Except when I went into a Guess store, walked through it and not a single person acknowledged my existence. Just because I dress metal/'gothic' apparently means that I don't work and don't have any money. Even though I was finishing high-end custom cabinetry at the time Smiley Frustrated

A couple of years ago a SA at the Chanel counter told me I had very "alien-like" features and I just got quiet and gave her an odd look...

ET.jpg

She could tell I was kinda confused and she quickly corrected herself "Ohh I mean that as a good thing, like exotic. Very different look." I thought it was pretty funny.

I also get tons of comments on my height. I don't know why SAs feel the need to tell me how tall I am. I'm very aware of my height and I don't know how that's going to get me to buy more products from you.

(0) Hearts

Hehe, this is off topic, but my husband actually tells me I look like an alien all the time. I'm okay with it since he's my husband and I know he's joking, but yeah, it would be really weird if a stranger told me I looked like an alien! 

wth? "alien" there is no nice way to take that...martian or illegal? geez.people can't keep their big mouths shut...

Gotta love the back-pedalling lol Smiley Very Happy I love your profile pic, by the way!

Thank you! I just googled Welsh Corgie and this was one of the first pics. The expression on the dogs face gets me every time "Human, what is wrong with you? Why would you do this!?" Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Hehehe. I have a welsh corgi. And he gives me that look all the time...although I haven't dared to put bread around his face, lol! 

At least you had a good sense of humor about it, dziggi! 

<3, Randee

I just don't get it.  Why people have to open their yaps sometimes is beyond me. NOW--here is what you are to do--get some fake eyeballs, go back, and when they say that, turn from them, put the fake peepers  in your hands, turn around with your eyes all squinched up tight, and place the eyeballs on the counter. THAT I would pay money to see!  Smiley Wink

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • ET.jpg
  • trix.jpg
  • af168-tumblr_muzui3kyi91r02p9xo1_500.gif
  • upload_3368097514640878095.gif