starsandbucks

Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

[ Edited ]

I was just looking through the "What Are You Wearing" thread and looking through the list of products I suddenly realized I very rarely use concealer under my eyes anymore. It used to be one those "will not leave the without it" items. It got me thinking back to a moment many, many, MANY years ago at a Clinique counter...

I can't remember what I was shopping for (probably super double face powder because that was my HG back then. I think I was around 20 when this story happened - I'm 39 now for reference.) So anyway, the sales lady was trying to upsell me on a bunch more products of course (which, I was 20 and in college - good luck getting blood from that stone, lady) and this is what she said to me word-for-word:

"Honey, you're gorgeous but those dark circles are distracting me from the rest of your face."

Whhaaaaattt??? I honestly can't remember how I reacted or if I bought the product I went in for originally. I know that I did NOT buy any concealer though! 

Have a couple more to post but BT is being super iPad unfriendly lately!

I don't want to open up any wounds with this post. Just hopefully dumb stuff SAs have said to you that you can look back on and laugh about now!

RandeeBT

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

At least you had a good sense of humor about it, dziggi! 

Best,
Randee
gogreyhound

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I just don't get it.  Why people have to open their yaps sometimes is beyond me. NOW--here is what you are to do--get some fake eyeballs, go back, and when they say that, turn from them, put the fake peepers  in your hands, turn around with your eyes all squinched up tight, and place the eyeballs on the counter. THAT I would pay money to see!  :smileywink:

gogreyhound

oh fooie...this was in response to  MrsBaine's post. sorry!

sp2001

It's making me mad reading all of these stories, so I think I'm gonna stop lol.

But for future reference ladies I've found two things that work for me in these types of situations.

One is responding to the person in the same tone that they're talking to you, if they roll their eyes roll yours right back, if they insult you passive aggressively do it right back. Don't think of this as getting down to their level, think of it as holding up a mirror to show them what they look like. They get insulted and you can look as innocent as they did when they said it to you.

The second is speaking to them like they're a child. I hate being condescending but if someone is going to speak to me with the manners of a 3 year old then that's how I'm going to treat them. Granted neither of these routes do I take on a normal day (i'm not a *witch* I just play one on tv) but I can't stand for people disrespecting others.

bellarob

[ Edited ]

I had a kinda of bad encounter at the Dior counter during the Nordstrom beauty event. I went in for a makeover and the sales lady makeup artist was very agressive .in between compliments she was asking me where do I work?what does my husband do ?What neighborhood do you live in?checking out my wedding ring thought maybe she was going to ask for my bank info. Later I realized she was trying to figure out which products she was going to push on me based on what she thought I could afford. she gave me no choice for products just said for my age group and concerns the most expensive stuff was it for me.There was a robe gift if you spent  800.00 and she kept saying call your husband and ask him if you can have it. Really?!!!I If I wanted it I would have gotten it. It was really insulting. I felt bullied bought stuff I didn't want and returned some of it the next day. I didnt want this woman to get a commission .  I felt like I should have gotten up and left but some of these sales people know how to lay on the compliments and push buttons about if only you have this miracle product you would look so much better blah blah.  I do like Sephora in regards to this because the regulars SA's don't seem to have an agenda. Of course some of the reps are a different story but I have not had a really agressive rep at Sephora.

Girly2Shoes

(0) Hearts

You're lucky my dear, I've had lots of Sephora ladies turn and hide from me so they would not have serve me! I could walk all over the store and not even get a" hello" from any one. One ladies wear store had a person who wouldn't let me try on clothes - she said just because others would let me she won't, and also said that she couldn't understand why I would want to wear ladies clothes. Saw her at an other location and she did the same thing. Went back again to her manager, a friend of mine, told her she did it again, and she had another talk with her. She quit, rather than help me .

Smokey123

(0) Hearts

I hate when you get judged that way. I was in a store one time with no makeup on, jeans, a t-shirt, and no jewelry on and all the SA's totally ignored me. I was a bit put off since I had questions that never got answered. I stopped in a week later in dress clothes, full makeup, and my wedding bands and had three SA's trying to help me. (A couple of them were working during my first visit.)  I left that day with samples and more help than I actually needed.  They apparently didn't like my looks the first trip in, but felt that I had money to spend on my next visit. They now recognize me and have been very nice ever since. They did lose a sale my first visit though. 

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Interesting topic, starsandbucks! It sounds like the Clinique salesperson could have used a little more training on how to upsell products! 

For me, I think the most annoying this is when people expect me to be a boy because my name is Randee. I met someone super "important" the other day and the first thing she said to me was, "I thought you were going to be a boy!." It was so rude! It can be kind of funny though. I used to live with my best girl friend and everyone used to always refer to us together since we lived together and spent a lot of time together. When a mutual friend met us at a friend's birthday, she thought I was going to be a Randy who was my friend's boyfriend! We thought it was hilarious :smileytongue:

In terms of beauty-related things, I was shopping for a eyeshadow once and I was swatching a million of the eyeshadows on my arm to compare them. A rude sales associate came over to me and was like, "Ummm we have makeup remover over there." She totally rolled her eyes at me and followed me around after that. I ended up not buying anything because I really didn't like her attitude. If she was a real makeup artist, she would have known that I was comparing shades which is totally normal. 

Best,
Randee
AlwaysGlamorous

LOL I would have made some snarky reply about liking to wear eyeshadow on my arm. I would have asked her if she thought it brought out my elbows. :smileyvery-happy:

Jessicaclara

I used to go to this one spa religiously for facials. I always had the owner do them because she seemed most knowledgable, and I went there for years. However I recently stopped going because of these two incidents:

First, she started recommending all these Dermalogica products that the spa sold. I trusted her and was eager to improve my skin so I bought some. On one particular visit she told me to buy a grainy, physical exfoliater. On the very next visit she told me I should only use enzyme exfoliators because I have sensitive skin and grainy products can be too abrasive. K... So the next time I was in I brought the grainy exfoliator back to return, she goes "oh no, this is really good for your skin, you shouldn't return it." Really!?

Then on the last time I was there before I quit going, literally while applying product to my face during a facial she says "this is actually $30 extra..." Just raising the price mid-service.

I'm so tired of people only recommending products to make money, rather than because they'd actually work for you.

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

I am sorry to hear about your experience at the spa, Jessicaclara! Whenever I get spa services, I always ask for samples of their product recommendations so I can test everything out and research some reviews online first. I am always really skeptical unless I am completely knowledgeable on the specific ingredients in the product. 

Best,
Randee
Blackwhiskey

I just remembered I had recently dyed my hair and this lady at the mall really wanted me to straighten my hair. "You'll look better." My hair is naturally wavy. She said "Are you sure? You have split ends, this cream and this straightener can really help reduce the appearance of it." I was so annoyed with her because she just didn't want to let me go, and I always feel compromised to hear them all out before I walk away. 

gogreyhound

UGH I avoid those mall-kiosk people like the plague!! always chasing you to sell you the hand and nail care stuff, or the hair products, or the electronic back-massager things....I can't stand it! I am always polite, but they keep hounding you even as you are walking away, "can I ask you a question? are your nails natural? would you like to try?..." then, they try to get you again on your way back down the other side of the mall! 

Don't take it personally, because they want you to buy their crap, so if they make you feel bad  enough, you will fall for their ploy. I love naturally curly hair!! be proud of it! I have baby fine, "frog fur" hair, and would gladly take waves like yours any day! :smileyhappy:

meagboho

Omg THOSE people! Also not Beauty related, but someone asked my husband and I what cell carrier we used. We continued to walk by but said our carrier and the guy was like "Oh really?! You guys must be rich!" I was so taken aback I just said "yeah we are, I just throw money away!" As we hurried by laughing. People are SO weird.

Blackwhiskey

Same mall happened where I was supervising my cousin's kid. She was getting her eyebrows threaded and right next to the stand were these little bike toys so the little boy naturally headed over there and I was there with him. Well, the guy  that was in charge of that stand was trying to get me to buy a little toy for him and I was like "No, no thanks, his mom is actually over there.. but I don't think she'd be interested in buying it either." And he said "Oh, are you two lesbians?"

................................. I have nothing against lebians but how rude to assume I am one because I'm hanging out with a girl. I'm pretty sure he was embarassed when I said "She's my cousin." in a flat voice.  underworld-bill-nighy_116105-480x360.jpg

dziggi

Whenever I get close to those kiosk people I whip out my phone and pretend I'm reading something very important. I've noticed the key is avoid eye contact with them and walk faaaaaaaast. Hahha. :smileyvery-happy:

Blackwhiskey

lol i think i'll start doing that, in fact the other day i avoided a conversation by saying "oh i have to go do something very important" and dashed into the disney store >>

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

The ones where I live still bugged me while I was on the phone (pretending or not!) so now I cover my face and speed walk. If they wanna chase me down that fast and far, they're gonna look pretty dumb to anyone else watching, and it seems they realize that. The malls should really regulate these places, they border on harassing (maybe not even border).. They remind me of carnival/boardwalk game barkers! 

meagboho

These are great! Non beauty: I was picking up my new gym pass that my husband had set up for me.  He went up to the counter and said "Hi I was here to get my pass yesterday, and now I'm here with my wife to get hers" 

The lady just stared at us and then said "Hold on a second, you two are MARRIED? You're like 10!" 

Usually I laugh it off but my age had come up 2 other times this weekend, and nothing pisses me off more...so I just stared at her coldly and said, "Yeah no, we are 24 and 29...."  She started back pedaling and said, "Oh honey you'll love it when you're 60 like me! My daughter is the same way, I had to go with her to sign her lease on her apartment because they didn't think she was old enough!"  1. How is that even possible? Does she not have a license??  2.  I hope I don't look like you when I'm 60...jerk.

I told her oh well we have a house, can I have my ID please?  She ended up apologizing if she offended me and I actually told her it's really annoying to have people comment about my young appearance all the time.  It was the only time I'd ever stood up for myself.

Beauty: When someone at a counter at a department store basically insulted me to try and get me to come get a make over.  I don't remember what she said because I just bustled by but something like "Oh you could just use X, Y, Z and look fabulous!"  I don't think I was wearing any make up, but regardless, that is NOT the way to get me to stop.  If I were trying to get me to stop I'd say something like "Wow, X feature is so beautiful, do you have a second to let me try Y on you? I think it would just enhance that beautiful feature!"  Not "You look bad let me help you" 

RandeeBT

That gym situation would have bothered me too, meagboho! It sounds like you handled it with tact and class though! 

Best,
Randee
HawaiianEyes7

I get the opposite! Pretty much every time I've gone out to eat since I was about 13 I get told there are Caesars on special or asked if I would like to try the new wine (I'm 17 now, btw). One time I went to a public pool and the lady at the front desk tried to charge me the adult rate, and I was 12 at the time! Just the other day my friend and I (he's the same age as me) went out for dinner and the waiter told us all of the alcohol specials and my friend said "not tonight" lol :smileyvery-happy: I hope I don't continue to look old for my age, because I don't want to look 30 when I'm like 22!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 155 replies
  • 235 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • emmaclaire
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mrsbaine
    • jenpred