Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿงœโ€โ™€๏ธ Mermaids & Unicorns ๐Ÿฆ„๐ŸŒˆ

I thought since a few BTer's like mermaids, unicorns, cute stuff, iridescent/holographic items... I'd start a thread so we could post all the products (beauty or not) that could fit this category.... even more enabling! hahahaha ๐Ÿ˜„

Share products you find that you think others might like....

Fairies-unicorn-mermaids.jpg

Re: Mermaids & Unicorns

@veronika23 - oh my goodness, that dish is GORGEOUS!  I don't know if you would get the same effect, but it might be worth checking out the so called "ghost chameleon" pigments - you can look up videos on youtube or on the product pages themselves, and they are more of a subtle color-shift effect.  I would definitely recommend this method though - it was fairly easy, and I am really impressed with the results. We also tried it on a cheap bag from Target for my mom, and it worked just as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

(and THANK YOU!  You're the queen of all things mermaid, so it means a lot coming from you!  ๐Ÿ™‚ )

@Milou07  It is beautiful but honestly it's like she picked a cheap dish and applied that effect to it on one side.  Not so worth the money I paid for it... She did tell me it was a process but who knows... That's why I want to make my own if I can.

Spoiler
I wish I could own this! And replicate the effect ๐Ÿ˜„
http://alsacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/alsa-refinish-iridescent-chrome-blue-pink.jpg

Any recommendations? On clear paint and air brush? I'm not the most crafty lol.  I don't own anything like that and it would be nice to have some input from someone who knows this stuff ๐Ÿ™‚  Would really love to try ghost pigments on some things... like ceramics and metals.  I'm just not sure how to go about it.  I had found a few a while back but I want to google ghost chameleon now. Thx!

hahaha I'm not queen of anything... just deeply obsessed with all these things ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„  but thank you! Definitely jelly of that beautiful bag!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

@veronika23 Oh my goodness, I would love that car color!  ๐Ÿ˜„ 

Ah, I hate it when that happens. It looks great online, but it's always hard to judge quality.  ๐Ÿ˜ž

Google "Solar Color Dust" - they are the company whose chameleon pigment I used - but they also make ghost chameleon pigment.  I used clear acrylic leather paint and paint thinner to airbrush it on, but I think you can use it with whatever medium you want depending on what the paint is going on. ๐Ÿ™‚  (I love the photos on their instagram of nails done using the pigment... ๐Ÿ™‚ )

I will post detailed instructions tonight when I get home from work for anyone who might be interested in trying this ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks so much @Milou07  ๐Ÿ™‚  If you have any brands to recommend for clear paint and the brand and where you got your airbrush... I can always try to track it down here...

OMG just looked at their IG... That's you that they re-posted right??? OMG COOL!!!!

@veronika23 - omg, wow, yes it is! I didn't realize they'd reposted it - how cool!  ๐Ÿ˜„

No problem! I ordered everything online, so hopefully you can find it too! I will get exact product names and post them tonight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks soooo much @Milou07!  You bleeping ROCK!

My oh my!  That bag is gorgeous!  You did such a good job, how did you get the pigment on without it gooping up the Coach logo and zipper?  I've only ever airbrushed finish on some wood and it was a huge job to keep it only on the place it was supposed to go.

Aww, @prettyinpa - thank you!!  

I used a LOT of masking tape - the logo on the front was the most difficult part - I traced around it on the masking tape, and then cut out a tiny masking tape version of it so the paint would go around the logo, but not on it!  The garage floor did not fare as well, but luckily I'm not picky about that!  ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Milou07 I still can't get over how perfectly you covered that Coach logo ๐Ÿ˜ณ I mean it's PEFECT!!! You did such a great job on this. I keep coming back to look at it. 

Please give us us updates as you wear and use your bag. I'd love to hear how well this stain/paint holds up. Again, just an awesome DIY and thanks for sharing!

Gorgeous! What did you use and what colour was the bag originally?

@somegirl123 - thank you so much!  

Details here: 

Spoiler
I ordered this bag last fall from Coach - the photo online looked like this:

coach

... but when it arrived, it looked like this.  ๐Ÿ˜ž  
coach
Side note: When I contacted them, Coach's CS said "Our records show you received the correct item. Coach.com has made every effort to accurately display the colors of our products. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that your computer monitor's display of any color is accurate due to the inherent limitations of computer monitors." LOL!

For some reason, I kept it, even though I really wasn't happy with the bag.  I kept looking online, and fell in love with the no longer sold, nearly impossible to find (or in my case, afford), Coach Crosby Crossbody.  
coach

Then a week or so ago, I ran across Solar Color Dust - they are a company that makes a wide variety of pigments that can be mixed with almost any medium (widely used for sneaker customization, apparently).  I ordered the super chameleon forest-purple-red, and used angelus neutral acrylic leather paint to airbrush it on, and then their matte finisher to top it off. 

I love these little coach cross body clutches, and I am so happy with how this turned out!!  It probably cost $50 or so for supplies / paint / pigment, and since I was strongly considering just shelling out several hundred for a used Crosby on eBay, it feels like a win!  ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Milou07 That reply from Coach is ridiculous ๐Ÿ˜‚ You ordered a pink/holo bag and got gunmetal/turquoise LOL. I'm blown away by your skills! I'm off to IG and Google to check this out. Thanks for the details and pictures. You've inspired me!

@pixiedust2 - I know, right?!?  As far as I can tell, the pink holo bag never existed - who knows where the online photo came from!  ๐Ÿ˜„

This is amazing!! Thanks for sharing with us what you did too. Great way to customize a bag for sure and it turned out great!

@Milou07 This is beautiful and turned out great! One of my friends likes to dye her bag and I admire people who are crafty like that. 

Thank you!  I was so nervous to start painting - I thought for sure I would just ruin the bag!  

@Milou07 You really did a great job! You should a tutorial. Did you seal the pigment? I know that my friend did that to ensure that the dye didn't bleed on her clothes et al if the bag got wet. 

@Karmatic - aww, thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚  I wish I had taken better photos of the process so I could post a tutorial!  (Oh well, guess I just have to do another one, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰  )

I did - I used a matte finisher, which actually really helped the iridescent/reflective aspects come out.  I wouldn't say it matte-ified it, but it looks much better with the finish on.  And definitely want to avoid any transfer to clothes! 

Anonymous Insider

For lime crime lovers They came out with lime crime unicorn hair

Image result for lime crime unicorn hair

but no guarantee it will look like this lol I love this hair color

Image result for lime crime unicorn hair

Cross posting from the Spring 2017 Releases thread. New highlighters from Pacifica including this one called Unicorn!

IMG_3166.JPG

Love Luxe Beauty - Launching today at 10am CST (11am EST, 8am PST)

**Use code HOTFIREMAKEUP to get 10% OFF of your purchase**

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.11.43 AM.png

Spoiler
Also had to share this! Pretty pigment.
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.15.01 AM.png

testing