legew

Me wearing make up as a 15 year old boy?

I love makeup so much and I was wondering what I need to do about this obsession and if I can wear make up in public. I have wanted to play with makeup for about a year now and i have loved when girls put makeup on me or i use some of my moms. I would love to take this to a new level and start wearing makeup in public or just buying makeup and trying it on at home and practicing. Some day i would love to be a makeup artist. I would also need a way to do this without my parents knowing and how would i buy the makeup i want.

mafan

Re: Me wearing make up as a 15 year old boy?

I don't have a lot of drugstore makeup experience with mascara, but do a search on drugstore because there was a great thread recently. I think people had good Maybelline recommendations. I know people really like Wet and Wild shadow palettes, so you might find something affordable and fun to play with there. If you try out shadow do get a brush. You will have much more success than with the foam applicator that comes with some palettes. 

If you start wearing makeup out, go with the everyday mascara first. It will be less of a shock for people. 

Most of all, have fun!

starletta8

First of all, I just want to say welcome! Like most of the others, some of my best experiences have been with male MUAs.  It's always great to hear about the next generation of artistic, creative people finding their own way.

legew

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to thank you soooo mcuh for the help and giving me courage. Iam going to drugstore today to buy some of my first very own makeup i was thinking a good mascara for practice at home a high preformance to give effect of false lashes and one for me to wear everyday. I was looking for a drugstore mascara like the urban decay 24/7 eyeliner could you give me sugestions and a suggestion for good a foundation.

LolaVal

(0) Hearts

Hi Leo,

I don't wear foundation but other people seems to really like Revlon colorstay.  In regards to mascara, I really like Maybeline Full n' Soft (the waterproof one) because it's very flexible and lasts all day no matter the weather (my days are often 10-15 hrs) - this is good for everyday.  If you want volume, I like L'oreal Voluminous Power Volume 24 hr waterproof mascara. Have fun on your first makeup buying trip!

jennjenn123

First off I think everyone here has given you great feedback.  In addition to taking theatre and/or community college classes to get some more experience with makeup, art classes would probably be good too.  I'm sure you would learn about how light falls on a face and how colors play off each other.

As far as make-up, my male cousin who's only a few years older than you loves the Fresh lip products.  They're pricy, but you could look for another tinted lip balm like Maybelline Baby lips, which is reasonably priced.  Lip balm is nearly fool-proof, which makes it a good place to start.

If you're not comfortable talking with your parents about this, can you talk with your girl friends about it?  Or is there a teacher you trust?

chauncie

Hello there!!!

I just wanted to let you know that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with you wanting to wear, or even liking makeup!!!

I too am obsessed with cosmetics in general lol, so a lot of people on here understand that.

Just to let you know, there are many makeup artists out there that are men, I think there are more men in the cosmetology field than women lol. To name a few there is Wayne Goss (gossmakeupartist/ gossmakeupchat) on youtube...Kevyn Aucion who was THE makeup artist to the stars, Ben Nye (who has amazing makeup for theater ) François Nars is also a VERY successful male makeup artist, and even has his own makeup line.

If you are worried about what your parents will think, don't be. If I had a child I would much rather prefer them to be interested in makeup than something else...there are worse things that kids could be doing right? But, you know your parents better than I do, so its up to you if you want to tell them about your interests in makeup.

..so maybe you can enroll in some elective classes at your school. You could enroll in a theater class??? I know that when I was in high school they used to put on plays and do acting classes and such...you could tell the teacher that you are more interested in the makeup aspect of the productions.

Or better yet take a class at your local community college!! At my college they perform plays all the time, and they even teach makeup classes! Also if you enroll in the class, you can even get your own makeup kit that's included in the class!

I don't know where you live, but if you Google community college for your area you can look up too see if they offer any classes in cosmetology or theatrical makeup in your area.

Like another poster said, E.L.F. products (that are sold at target) are wonderful for practicing with. My friend ( who is a guy) actually started out using e.l.f. products when he got into makeup. If you go on the e.l.f. website, they usually have a deal going on, and its a really inexpensive brad. Their brushes are pretty good as well!

Keep us posted, hope that you got some good advice on here <3

legew

(0) Hearts

Hey my name is leo and I just wanted to thank you soooo mcuh for the help and giving me courage. Iam going to drugstore today to buy some of my first very own makeup i was thinking a good mascara for practice at home a high preformance to give effect of false lashes and one for me to wear everyday. I was looking for a drugstore mascara like the urban decay 24/7 eyeliner could you give me sugestions and a suggestion for a foundation.

mafan

I just wanted to add a couple of things. 

Talk to your female friends. If they are willing to put makeup on you and you didn't freak out, they probably know you thought it was fun. They might be willing to go shopping with you and give you some tips. Plus, if you can't talk to your parents about your interest, you probably need someone to talk to. 

Get your own makeup and brushes. If you are really going to work with makeup, you want to make sure you avoid getting infections from dirty things, etc. definitely don't share mascara. 

Get a good cleanser. Worth doing anyway if you're using soap on your face. You want to get all makeup off at night. And get a moisturizer as well. Look in the drugstore or Target or somewhere like that for reasonable things that won't cost a lot of money.

Look around at school at the older guys if you get a chance. See if any of them are wearing makeup. I know it's hard to talk to kids a lot older at times, but you might get a sense if any other guys are wearing makeup and find someone to talk to. 

I do think talking to your parents is something you'll need to do at some point. Working up to talking to them about hard things is usually the worst part of the process. And sometimes they know befo you dotalk to them anyway. 

nebel

Hello and welcome! Francois Nars has some excellent books which include make up looks on men.  He started his career as a young boy doing make up for his mom and her friends. If you work hard, the sky is the limit!

kboston

I don't know your parents, but there's a strong probability they'd be easier to talk to than you think. I can guarantee that talking to them about this interest will be far easier than hiding it from them for the next three years. 

Be prepared for them and others to question your sexuality. But if you've practiced your response and keep it as a dialogue (not an argument), it'll not only gain their support, but it'll build your self confidence for later. 

There are a lot of mean people in this world. But there are a lot more open-minded, caring, helpful people. Lean on them to manage the others. 

I wish you best.

ayen85

[ Edited ]

Try to look up davenmayeda on youtube.i saw his vid on makeup for men and i ❤ it! Im actually trying to convince a guy friend  to use makeup for his breakouts and undereye circles! Daven used the makeup forever full coverage concealer, you can also try my favorite concealer of the moment the shiseido natural finish concealer,its vy natural,smudge proof and water resistant too. Just. ask for a sample B4 u make a purchase! 

For powder you can try drugstore products,maybe something translucent like the rimmel stay matte or the maybelline dream matte powder.but if ur looking into splurging for ur first purchase i recommend powders from brands like guerlain,dior or mac.just find the perfect shade match  so they wont notice you wearing makeup! 

Once you start on building your makeup collection  i suggest you check temptalia.com,lisa elridge,gossmakeupartist,emilynoel.i always check reviews online before heading to sephora or drugstore.you dont need an extensive amount of makeup,whats important is that you have products that work for you! I personally purchase makeup which has high reviews online,i am a makeup hoarder but i only buy things that are the best from different brands,that way you wont be wasting a huge amount  on new products released,though ur spending a lot, at least you can justify that they are worth the money! 

goodluck!i know ur gonna be a great makeup artist someday! 

LolaVal

Dear legew,

Similar to onomotopoeia9, some of my best makeup experiences have been done by men.  I think that with some creativity and practice, you can be great.  

In regards to wearing makeup yourself, I would recommend starting with concealers.  Concealer is meant to be used in certain areas of your face such as blemishes, or under your eye or any red spots on your face; therefore,  it's not as obvious if you wear it because it's not all over your face and it's meant to match your skin tone.  If you have any blemishes, drugstore brands make blemish fighting concealers so it would not be so surprising for people to see a man wearing concealer.  Or you can pick a concealer from a makeup line.  I usually prefer concealers that come out of a tube so that you are not always sticking your fingers into a pot and contaminating the entire pot.   Drug store brands are less expensive and you can look for extra coupons from your local ads.  Good luck and have fun!

voxover

[ Edited ]

If you're nearby any Targets or other stores that carry e.l.f., I'd definitely suggest you look into it. I got my sister a 30-something eyeshadow palette for $5, which is great for trying colors out and learning. She says she likes them. I just looked up the brand's website and found they have great prices on just about anything you might want to try out. My mom is pretty pleased with one of their brush sets.

For how-to guides, I've found plenty of help on YouTube. Good luck!

As with a close friend of mine, I'd just like to advise you careful about mean/prejudiced/short-sighted people (They exist, unfortunately, but there are many wonderful, kind people as well), and whom you confide in if you're not in a more open-minded environment. Otherwise my main advice is to not let anyone's negative reactions/opinions/biases define your sense of self-worth and value. Easier said than done, but mean people aren't worth being in your life either way. Cheers!

onomotopoeia9

Welcome to the world of makeup, legew! Looking good / feeling good about one's self is not only for woman.

@Mafan answered beautifully, so I don't have much more to say. But one thing is that I have had some of my best makeup experiences with guys.

Working in the cosmetic industry is all about devotion, passion and talent.Many guys are successful, and you can be too.

Good luck!

voxover

Right on! One of my favorite people to watch on YouTube is Wayne Goss.

ayen85

Hes my favorite too.i  love  him even more for his honesty and humility! 

mafan

Hi there!  I see your post has appeared a few times so I don't know if you hit the wrong button or are anxious, but I wanted you to know I saw your post. 

First, I don't know where you live so I don't know how hard you will find it to wear makeup out in public, but I do know things have changed a lot in the almost 35 years since I was 15 and it has to be easier. :smileyhappy: 

Do you have a large Sephora store near you? I know that the biggest one near me (Natick, MA, in case you live nearby) has at least 2 if not 3 or 4 male cast members who are very knowledgeable so you might try going to the large store near you and see if some of the male associates might make you more comfortable asking for advice. 

As far as buying makeup for yourself, do you get money to spend on yourself? Check in the store for kits that have things to try out. If you're not comfortable asking for yourself, you're an age where you can always let people assume you're looking to get something for a girlfriend if you really don't want to ask. Are you certain your parents would freak out if they found makeup?  Some parents are better than you think.

Btw, have you ever heard of the comic Eddie Izzard? He's not really a drag queen as much as a guy who likes wearing makeup. And he's very funny. Very, very funny. I know he has a book out and he might have some stories about makeup in it. Libraries are such a wonderful place!

There are a few guys on the board who are into makeup, so I hope one of them will see this and be able to give you some enter advice.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 43 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • chauncie
    • mafan
    • onomotopoeia9
    • kboston
    • starletta8
    • nebel