klbandy

Makeup as a Distraction

Does anybody else look at makeup not only as a hobby, but as a distraction? I find it as an escape sometimes. I'm in a long distance relationship, go to school, and work full time. Makeup is a way for me to numb and distract myself. Anyone else feel this way about makeup? 

FireSpinner

Re: Makeup as a Distraction

(0) Hearts

It's definately a distration for sure. I'm working a "7am - whenever they decide I can leave" factory job (there is a supposed quitting time, but I rarely get to leave at that time) So low pay, too many hours, no respect, favoritism, tons of drama etc.. So if i come home and find a Sephora package or some other goodies, then im thrilled and it helps me forget where i work. 

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i started wearing makeup for fun when i was younger, now it's become a part of my wardrobe ( if that makes sense). following beauty vlogs ,blogs and BT is definitely a distraction though.

mdelrosario91

Playing with makeup distracts me from schoolwork! :smileyvery-happy: 

klbandy

(0) Hearts

I am currently doing that with an essay! :smileyhappy:

dolceloure

I never actually thought of makeup as a distraction, but now that I think of it, I suppose I have been using it that way. I've been feeling very alone these past few years, and I'm realizing now that the makeup obsession interest started around the same time. Hmm, well, healthier than turning to booze and drugs, right? 

klbandy

Definitely healthier!! A little more expensive, but if it helps you feel better and you can afford it, then more power to you cause no harm is being one. I've also been feeling alone since I moved away from my family and have been in a long distance relationship. Makeup has made a difference for sure inside and out. :smileyhappy: stay strong

PrettyLittleDr

+1 to that.

I'm in med school and it's stressful as all heck. I love makeup because it's SO different from what I spend the rest of my life doing! It's fun for me, and when I get sick of studying, I wander onto Sephora's website.... zoops! Sometimes when I have a really hard and long day ahead of me, I think about a new makeup product I want to try and it makes it that much easier to get my day going, hahaha. Although I'm not always sure that my textbooks appreciate my new blush.... but whatcha gonna do heheh. And thus, my username now makes sense :smileywink:

klbandy

(0) Hearts

Oh my goodness! I love you username :smileyhappy: I'm about to go through a little bit of medical school and I am looking forward to having my eyes glaze over with thoughts of new makeup hahaha

Missie772

Yes!!! I like playing with my makeup, rearranging my makeup, all while either looking at makeup blogs or watching YouTube makeup gurus. I have an addiction! It is so much fun but not good on my wallet!

Goldie12

I love makeup and I do feel that it is a hobby of mine. I can sit for hours and look at makeup and do my makeup!!!!

warriorwitch

I find playing with my makeup to be very cathartic. If I am having a particularly stressful or otherwise crappy day pulling out all "teh makeups" helps immensely. My brain immediately starts shutting out the rest of the world, and I can transform into something new.

The down side to this is, if I am in that happy place and something forces me to come out before I am ready, I go from being happy to being a full blown you know what. Having been a tom boy (and still pretty much do consider myself one), I still have this weird guilt complex with my makeup, which prevents me from really having anyone to share it with in real life. I am always worried that people are gonna judge me based on how not tom boy makeup is. XD Silly I know, but at least I have BT to share my obsession with. :smileyvery-happy:

redhope

Yes!! I have a very special needs son so I had to quit working full time. I put full makeup on as soon as I wake up before I shower so I can do it all over again a few hours later with a completely different look. I spend hours a day on Sephora and YouTube looking at all makeup stuff and techniques. Sad but fun!

klbandy

Makeup seems like it's a perfect fit for you! I'm happy to hear that your trying out multiple looks hehehe I'm guilty of doing that whenever I get new goodies. It's nice to have something that you can enjoy though isn't it? :smileyhappy:

kellsmuneoka

Yes! When I just need to stop stressing about everything I just do my makeup. My poor brushes suffer though :smileysad:

klbandy

(0) Hearts

Maybe try stress washing your brushes while watching makeup tutorials/reviews on YouTube? That always helps me take a deep breath and relax a little. 

nikki

I definitely find shopping for makeup a distraction and escape. It always cheers me up when I do it, which is terrible for my wallet.  

It sounds like you are going through a hard time if you need to numb and distract yourself. Maybe you need to talk it out with someone, a friend or even a professional. I hope things get better <3 And if I read to much into your post, I apologize, I mean no offense <3<3 

klbandy

Thank you for your concern!  I appreciate it :smileyhappy:  Its a little difficult time, but nothing that makeup can't fix! And I agree, it's terrible for my wallet as well hahaha

bellarob

Yes so relaxing and fun. Love to browse through all the new colors and ideas.

cindyinva

I agree that the act of doing make up is an escape. My favorite time is Saturday morning when I'm doing my makeup. I can take my time, be creative and use bright colors that I can't during the week. It's a great start to my weekend. I am happy to know that others feel the same way I do.

klbandy

Me too! I love those times when you have no time pressure and you can go as crazy/creative as you want! Saturday mornings sound so relaxing for you. Lucky girl :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • nikki
    • marydiva
    • dolceloure
    • klbandy
    • mrsbaine
    • cindyinva