Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Makeup We Buy because it's featured in pop culture

Have you ever bought makeup or any beauty product because it was featured in pop culture (i.e. movies, shows, mentioned in songs, etc)?  Or perhaps you bought something because the shade name reminded you of your fav show?  I sure have!

Exhibit A:

FullSizeRender 43.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.20.16 PM.png

Yes I impulsively bought Chanel Lip Balm because it was (vaguely) featured on Yuri!!! on Ice. And it didn't even help my chapped lips😅

Anyway, what have you guys bought that's been featured in pop culture (aside from things featured in ADs)? 💃🏻

Re: Makeup We Buy because it's featured in pop culture

Uma Thurman as Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction. I was only in 4th grade when the movie came out, but her bob & nails (Chanel's Rouge Noir or Vamp) influenced me much later.

fG1Klq4

I bought Urban Decay lipstick in Big Bang, because I'm a fan of Big Bang

upload_5510818429561674796.jpgWent to their concert once, had to drive 3hrs by myself, through NYC, at 2am cuz I got work next day. Completely worth it. Great songs, great stage and great performance. The UD lipstick? mmm.... it was nice, but not Fantastic.

upload_7823129943701175575.pngcredit: google image/reddit

I'm listening to Big Bang right now! 🙂

Ohhh, what's your favorite Big Bang song? My top 3 are If You, Tonight and Bang Bang Bang. In terms of solos/sub groups, Ringa Linga, Good Boy and Doom Dada. @Yuumei

Right now I cannot get enough of Bang Bang Bang... I probably listen to that song 3 times a day lol... Strong Baby, Bad Boy, Loser, Zutter, Sober, Oh Ah Oh, Fantastic Baby, Blue are some of my faves... side/solo songs I fell for R.O.D, Gotta Talk To You, Crooked, MichiGO, High High, Knock Out, Doom Dada, Turn It Up, Eyes Nose Lips... omg too many I know they're all just so good! @ChicDabbler 🙂

Oh I haven't heard 3-4 of the songs yet, gonna go check it out now. Lol, they are all good depends on the mood. Mostly I prefer melodious songs and songs with strong beats I can dance/exercise to. Big Bang doesn't promote nearly often enough (and with member problems... *sigh*). YG wanted iKON to be follow up to BB, but it doesn't work. Recently I'm into BTS songs, but I'm hoping for some new BB songs soon.

I really love a dance beat as well, and then sometimes I just get hooked on a sweet sounding song 😄  Lately I've also been obsessing over NCT U 'The 7th Sense' and NCT 127 'Fire Truck'... and GOT7 'Just Right' in case you're interested in checking those out too @ChicDabbler 😉

@ChicDabbler I love this story! The lipstick is a pretty shade but I'm glad the concert overshadowed the lipstick! 😉

Has anyone been watching Girlboss on Netflix? I am so obsessed with how Sophia's lips look all the time and I would love to know what lip product it is. It's that natural-looking glow that makes me think it might be Dior Addict Lip Glow Color Reviver - in berry?? What do you guys think?

girlboss.PNG

Stay Fabulous,
Zanna

Agent Carter's red lipstick got me into Bésame Cosmetics. I looked up an eyeliner Kate Spencer (from the TV show Arrow) used because it was so beautiful. It was by Paul & Joe but discontinued sadly. The red lipsticks that Dakota Johnson wears in 50 Shades (Terrible movie, great lipsticks). The lipsticks that Taylor Swift wears ( I hate her music but her lipstick is always the best).  I saw the Iope Cushion in a K-drama I was watching and bought the only Cushion foundation I could get my hands on at the time.

I'm not a big fan of Red Velvet (or K-pop groups in general) or anything but I saw this photo of Irene wearing NARS Gaiety on her cheeks.

IMG_0682.JPG

I don't have fair skin or have cool undertones but it motivated me to try out a blush shade that I'd typically avoid and now I'm in love with it! It's the perfect "strawberry milk" shade 😄

@myumew, the blush/makeup looks gorgeous in the picture you posted. I typically avoid cool-toned pink/lavender blushes too since I'm more drawn to coral and nude blushes but I'm convinced by your post to give it a try. 😄

I don't have Gaiety but I do have NARS Mistinguette, which is a similar cool pink with a matte finish. 

@myumew oooo that's a pretty shade! I'm not that fair either so it might not look great but it's worth a shot! 

On another note, weirdly I have not listened to any Kpop bands... I stick to Jpop! 😂

@myumew

ughh i'm not into Red Velvet either but she looks so good. I need to try out this look now. Also need to grow my brows longer again...

i also don't know if i have anything that purple pink ouffff

Yeah, it's such an unique shade. I tried my best to google dupes but there were none.. so I bit the bullet and purchased it. No regrets!

@flyte girl! I love your icon!! have you read the tg manga??

Back when I was 16 years old (1986), I purchased my first high end perfume. I decided to buy Chanel No.5 even though I never smelled it because it was considered so classy and in all the movies and magazines. I couldn't wait to get it home and try it on. It was absolutely horrible! I still wore it because I thought I wasn't sophisticated enough to understand what real perfume should smell like and back then you didn't return used items like now. Finally, when I was 18 years old, I was a little bit more mature and threw it out. Just recently, I decided to try it on again and it was still horrible. I have worn Chanel No. 19 and Mademoiselle (my favorite) with better results. 

@Crazy4Sephora1 I never liked the smell of No. 5 as well. If that's a mature/classy scent, then I guess I'll never be mature or classy 🤷🏻‍♀️ Now, Mademoiselle on the other hand is lovely!

@Crazy4Sephora1 and @ashanizer - I've never cared for Chanel No. 5 either, but I do like the new "modern" version, No. 5 L'eau.  I used to wear a Chanel in my much younger days, but I don't remember the name, but I think it may have been No. 19!  Since both of you like Mademoiselle (and ashanizer has mentioned this more than once...), I'm going to give this one a sniff.  Thanks!

@Titian06 I won't stop raving about it anytime soon!!! Let me know your thoughts when you do give it a whirl 🙂

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos12
  • FullSizeRender 43.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.20.16 PM.png
  • covergirl
  • upload_4381214681444600381.gif
  • screamqueens_s01e06_bornunicorn-4.png
  • IMG_0851.JPG
  • IMG_0852.JPG
  • IMG_0682.JPG
  • girlboss.PNG