Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Makeup We Buy because it's featured in pop culture

Have you ever bought makeup or any beauty product because it was featured in pop culture (i.e. movies, shows, mentioned in songs, etc)?  Or perhaps you bought something because the shade name reminded you of your fav show?  I sure have!

Exhibit A:

FullSizeRender 43.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.20.16 PM.png

Yes I impulsively bought Chanel Lip Balm because it was (vaguely) featured on Yuri!!! on Ice. And it didn't even help my chapped lips😅

Anyway, what have you guys bought that's been featured in pop culture (aside from things featured in ADs)? 💃🏻

Re: Makeup We Buy because it's featured in pop culture

@scharrison hahaha omg! you should find out who the set designer is/was and email them 😉

Brilliant!!

I can't say I have (at least that I remember!), but CoverGirl just did a series of VERY obvious product placements in the show "Riverdale".  Not that I'm a super big covergirl fan or anything, but I love it when I can identify a makeup item I see on TV! 🙂 

covergirl

So I just binged Riverdale, and the CoverGirl product placement was pretty blatant.  I didn't mind it, but I sort of think they missed an opportunity of sorts, since so much of the show is about self-presentation and finding the way you represent yourself.  The scene with Betty trying on her sister's red lipstick is a fantastic example.  It's makeup as game face.

@Milou07 hahaha they didn't pull any punches with that! PLL did something like that with TreSemme products. Like I don't care about hair care, I want to know who -A is!!!

Years ago I watched a K-drama called 'Can You Hear My Heart' and it featured a Korean Skincare brand called Re:NK. I tried SO HARD to find some products online back then but only scored a few amazing samples from the brand. (Which I loved btw.) I think I might have to try to find their line again, it's been enough years it might be easier to get now??? Other than that, I also first noticed several SK-II products "subtly" placed on the vanity of a gorgeous K-drama heroine once, which led me on a quest for information which in turn resulted in many years of use to this day LOL 😄

@Yuumei yasssss I love when these products turn out to be good!! Or make you try things you normally would't but bite the bullet because you love the show so much! 😉 

I can't recall ever buying anything because I saw it on tv or anything, but anytime I see people doing their makeup on tv, I always try to see if I can figure what brands or products they're using. Happens a lot in reality tv shows like the Bachelor or Big Brother where they spend soooo much time prepping.

@AshleyYVR ooooo I'll have to see if I can guess the brands as well! There's some shows like PLL where I can tell the makeup they're using (if they happen to be doing their makeup for part of the scene). They don't explicitly show the brands of course, but I always know! I'm like girl, I know that's the Loreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara don't try to play me 

To the best of my knowledge, I've never bought anything featured in pop culture.

Now I did try an item featured in pop culture...Pepsi and milk.  In fact, practically everyone tried it at one time or another.  Yes, it was awful!  Supposedly, Penny Marshall really did drink Pepsi and milk when she was a kid and that's how it ended up on the show.

Now you know my deep, dark secret!  😄

@Titian06  I so remember that! yes everyone  tied it and it was repulsive lol. Brings back my youth!

Awwww - Laverne and Shirley! ❤️  @Titian06

@Titian06Now that I know this about you, I won't be able to see you the same way again! 😮

hahaha but yea I should've amended this with purchases also inspired by pop culture and the like. For a time, I would only buy shades of makeup if they had anything to do with Japan 😝

Now that I think about it, the only other instance where a show or movie has featured an exact makeup product would be the lipstick shade Jungle Red on Pretty Little Liars, though the one on the show wasn't Nars haha

OMG!!!!!   I cannot believe you caught that Jungle Red mishap, too! @ashanizer

When my daughter and I saw Jenna pull out the "Jungle Red" lipstick in the elevator this season and it looked vaguely like Estee Lauder, but definitely not NARS, we both just looked at each other and said "that is not NARS."  Too funny! 

@Tamara76 yasss!!! if it wasn't mentioned this season I probably would've forgot all about it! But I went back to rewatch some of the first episodes and I think the tube was purple? That show's just a mess (but I love it anyway!)

Yes!  Not super realistic or plausible, but a fun, guilty pleasure! 🙂

My niece introduced me to the show a few years back while I was recovering from a surgery and needed something to binge watch and then my daughter got into it so we started back over and watched the whole series together. 

@Tamara76 Yesss I'm sad it's almost over though 😕 I've taken to tumblr to read so many theories and analyses on everything and everything in that show haha I'm surprised there haven't been posts for Jungle Red! 

Aww that's cute! And how your daughter knew the Jungle Red mishap as well! hahaha my dad only knows PLL by name and let's me fangirl to him every so often .

Who are your favs?? Mine are Spencer, Mona, and Wren 😉

@ashanizer. Lol!  😉

IMG_0852.JPG

@Tamara76 hahaha I'm dying! Jungle red isn't my color either sadly 😕

Mine, either, but I have like 3 tubes of it! 😉   @ashanizer

@Tamara76 @ashanizer Can I but in? I am loving PLL now too. LOL.

Like you Tamara , was home sick and binged watched , I missed a few , but get the gist!

My favorite is Spencer. I love the actress! 

Hanna is very glam and has the best outfits. But Spencer is a deep mysterious woman. I also think she is A.D , or has an evil twin.

Ok, do we have a tv or movie thread here? Back to makeup...

Conversation Stats
Photos12
  • FullSizeRender 43.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.20.16 PM.png
  • covergirl
  • upload_4381214681444600381.gif
  • screamqueens_s01e06_bornunicorn-4.png
  • IMG_0851.JPG
  • IMG_0852.JPG
  • IMG_0682.JPG
  • girlboss.PNG
  • upload_5510818429561674796.jpg