drrragon

Makeup Survival Stories

[ Edited ]

Hi yalls, just wondering if people had any makeup survival stories?  Did you ever find yourself without some essential makeup item and had to improvise with whatever was handy?

I had a 3-night 2-day trip for work this week, imagine my surprise the first morning when I opened my makeup kit and there was only a single eyeshadow in there!!  Normally I bring several color options for a full eye look (neutral browns, muted purples, etc).  All I had was a shimmery peachy color from the Body Shop that I had purchased years ago and normally use for a bit of shimmery dimension in the middle of my lid.

Luckily I also had my Anastasia brow powder, so I used that for crease and the peachy for all-over-lid color.  With black gel eyeliner and mascara, it actually looked fine and polished enough for work.

Don't know if I want to surprise myself like that again, but it's nice to know I can get by with just one (ok, maybe two) shades.

20130308_220014-crop.jpg

katie1724

Re: Makeup Survival Stories

I attended a wedding once that had a shuttle from the hotel to where the reception was (which I guess is not uncommon). I had a small clutch, and before I left, I laid out my eyeliner, mascara, powder and lipstick (which was a vivid red) so that I wouldn't forget them for touch ups. Did I remember them? No. I was SO mad -- particularly about the powder -- because that was around 4:00 and the party went to well after midnight, and everything just melted off. I was sad because I wanted pictures to look nice (haha), but no such luck! :smileyhappy:

dianabt

Hi Drrragon, 

I hate when I forget something I need, especially if I am going someplace! I went to my boyfriends house before heading to his family's for a superbowl football party. I figured "ok, ill bring my makeup with me and do it there". Did I bring it? NOPE.

I had grabbed my ULTRA SHEER LIGHT COLORED bb cream instead of my foundation I desperately needed. Luckily I grabbed the blending brush I normally use with my foundation and it still had a bit of color left which sort of helped.

I also had left a spare liner and mascara in the bathroom but still... Problem was that I had to use that BLACK liner to shape/fix my brows. That with a bunch of q tips and I think I survived looking somewhat normal. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ChicDabbler

Hmm, no survival stories here, for me it's "when in doubt, do without." I absolutely hate it when I finished everything then accidentally smudged the concealer and revealed the red spot again. Whatevs, as long as I dress sharp and act chipper, most people in my field (engineering) don't notice make up.

I do rub lip balm on dry/flaky spot to make them disappear, and cursed myself when I wear fuzzy sweaters with my suit without bringing a lint roller (duct tape works).

drrragon

oh yeah i HATE when i find myself without any kind of moisturizer!  especially when I have a cold and blowing my nose a lot, the skin under my nose gets so dry and flaky, and i try to have a little container of aquaphor with me at all times.  I've actually ended up using my Smashbox lip gloss for that a couple of times though...it works surprisingly well since it's one of the more emollient formulas and is pretty sheer.

sephoramusthave

See I would have no problem with just that one color across my lid and nothing else. It depends where I'm going, but if I'm going to the beach for a couple of weeks, shadow wise, I usually bring *one* cream shadow, usually a champagne color that I can wear lashline to browbone and still look amazing. For the beach, I dont bring much makeup with me. I bring enough stuff to look nice for dinners out. I would be lost without mascara. I've been wearing it everyday for the last 6 months. Just cant live without it anymore lol.

drrragon

I should try to be more like you, LOL!  To be honest, I feel pressured to use several shades in any eye look just because I have SO MUCH eye shadow lying around! (also it's just fun to experiment) It's sad though, when I opened my kit and saw the single shadow, my first thought was "yes!  i can buy more eyeshadows!" but I did manage not to in the end.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

---

drrragon

Hi triciaann! :smileyhappy:  Yikes I cannot imagine doing full formal makeup with qtips and cotton balls!!!  It would probably take me a couple of bags full and lots of swearing....

For the brow powder, I bought this several years ago before she added new shades, mine was "Brunette" which at the time was the darkest shade.  Hopefully the current "Brunette" is the same shades as mine, but I have to say the picture on the site looks a little off...

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

---

drrragon

No problem!  Yeah I'm thinking maybe they got the photos wrong or something.  I'm pretty sure the "Ebony" is darker than mine, I remember browsing Anastasia in 2012 to get my sister a brow kit and there was definitely one darker.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 30 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • triciaann12
    • ChicDabbler