LariTheLoud

Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

So with all the discussion about makeup confessions, hauls, and new TSBs, we know that we all have a serious hobby and addiction to beauty. But how do you store them in your home? Do you like how you've organized your makeup collection? Do you have the space for them? How about your space for prepping and putting on your makeup? What would you change, if you could?

Honestly, with me... I've had to make a lot of compromises and make the best out of what I have to work with! I live in a very old home, over 200 years old. I love it to pieces and I wouldn't trade it for anything. BUT it kind of lacks some of the modern conveniences that newer homes have. I don't have many good storage solutions yet, my closet space is almost nonexistent, and I'm currently using an entire room with built-in shelves to display my shoe collection. I don't yet have a proper makeup vanity, and my full-sized bathroom is laid out very poorly and does not have good ventilation, so I don't like to store my makeup in there. Instead I have cleared out the drawers in my night stand and do my best to organize my makeup in there. When I go to put it on, I grab what I need and transfer it to my bathroom, where I apply my makeup -- luckily with tons of natural light! -- on tiptoe so I can peer into my too-high and too-small vanity mirror. I can't set makeup out on top of my mirrored dresser/vanity because I have a very bratty cat that likes to wake us up every morning by pushing things off of dressers and tables, and I have nightmares that I would wake up to a shattered Lingerie de Peau bottle on my wood floors.

Let's just say that we fully intend to renovate that bathroom once we've set aside enough money for it, lol!

In my fantasy land, I would have a well-lit vanity space with six large makeup drawers, a padded bench, and a makeup mirror. Heck, I'd have a whole bathroom just for preparing my makeup every day!

More realistically, in the short term, I am going to buy Muji acrylic makeup drawers or similar makeup organizers and really keep things looking pretty in my drawers. I'd also like to buy some bathroom storage solutions (cheaper solutions, since we are saving for a renovation) to better organize my bathroom sink and vanity, and of course, I think a good makeup mirror is in my near future.

How about all of you? Are you happy with how you manage your cosmetics? Any pictures or storage ideas to share, for people with limited space? I'm curious!

newandaddicted

Re: Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My beauty space is located in our master bedroom. I'm using a old computer desk from Target, it's dark wood which matches my room furniture, I have a round office chair.  I wanted a REALLY cute chair from pottery barn kids but they wanted $300 PLUS a extra shipping surcharge.  I have several muji boxes to store most of my make up.  Brushes and liners and such are in black cuppy things from a discount store.  The problem I'm currently have is lighting.  I have a lighted mirror and a LED light I got from Lowe's.  I need natural light but the way my reading nook is set up, I would have to get rid of my over stuffed chair and ottoman :-(

We have a 4th bedroom, but we use if for guests (which we don't have too often) but I don't want to be out the bedroom to put on makeup AND most times I'm in my undies while applying makeup.  

I've been told that the lighted vanitygirl mirrors don't give off great light.  Not enough on it's own.  Anyone own one?

NikkiShops

Re: Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

This is what I've got so far:

IMG_20140309_095305.jpg

I still have all my makeup in my bathroom in Muji drawers as well as in the bathroom cabinets.  I'm still looking for the right mirror to hang up here.  I bought a large one that has a floral design for a trim (it's frameless) but now I think it's too pretty to just use as a vanity mirror.  I'm a little indecisive with that, haha.  Anyway, once I hang a mirror I can start moving things in.  I plan on getting a nice white fluffy pillow for the chair.  I also would like to get some acrylic drawer organizers to keep everything nice and neat.  If extra makeup storage is needed, I can use the 3 drawer mirrored piece next to this one.  Then of course all my little candleholders, vase, light, etc need new homes!  May leave a few of them on there, we'll see.  I have been dreaming of this vanity for the last few years so to see it come to life has been so fun!

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

Looking at this makes me feel happy :smileyhappy:

NikkiShops

(0) Hearts

Thank you! Pretty soon it will be my happy place for makeup <3

jwilk241

(0) Hearts

Where did you get this vanity????

NikkiShops

(0) Hearts

I got it from Wayfair.  I really liked the Pier 1 version but I wasn't paying their price!  :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

1. Where is that lamp from?

2. Get your makeup out of your bathroom ASAP! There's too much moisture & humidity in a bathroom to store makeup in. Unless those drawers are air tight, bacteria can get in your makeup, and the ingredients will break down quicker, and overall shelf life is decreased. :smileysad: 

NikkiShops

(0) Hearts

I just realized there are 2 lamps in the picture. Haha which one were you talking about?

NikkiShops

(0) Hearts

The lamp is from Tj Maxx from like 3 or 4 years ago. I've seen similar ones since but not with this pattern.

Thank you for your concern about my makeup! I'm definitely working on getting it out of there. The bathroom is huge though and never really gets that steam/moisture in the air. When I get out of the shower the mirror is never foggy! But I am working on it and pretty soon my makeup will have its own space to breathe with fresh non-bathroom air. :smileyvery-happy:

DTalksAll

The one on the vanity. I didn't even see the floor lamp until you mentioned there were two LOL :smileyvery-happy: 

NikkiShops

(0) Hearts

Hahaha, well the one on the floor needs a new spot anyway.  The table lamp is the one from Tj maxx!  I just love Tj maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods! They have the best lamps.

kraezilyunique

I just bought a lipstick rack, a nail polish shelf, and a cosmetics organizing stand from Amazon - right now, I have a wire basket on my drawer holding some of my nail polishes, a tin holding the rest, three makeup bags full of skincare, and a drawer in my desk holding the rest of my makeup. I'm ready to get organizing!

DTalksAll

I got really frustrated with trying to find a vanity that fit our decor (all RH-very rustic & romantic), had enough room to hold most of my makeup, had a nice finish & was at a good price point. I was going to get one from PB teen, but they are so expensive & I don't think PB items are worth their steep price tag. 

So, I built my vanity from IKEA as a temporary fix. It's cheap, not well made, but is easy to clean & I can store everything neatly away. 

It's 2 alex drawer sets, a table top & a shelf with drawers. It doesn't look this neat right now. I'm still looking for a cowhide rug, storage ottoman on wheels, a mirror, and lights. 

IMG_2617.JPG

LariTheLoud

Your taste sounds similar to mine - LOVE RH, but man their prices are steep. I actually have a cowhide rug! Took a chance and bought one off of Amazon, and I haven't been more pleased with the quality. It came exactly as the seller described. Just be careful if you do decide to go that route, and do your research on all the sellers.

That's what worries me about IKEA most, actually, that the clean-lined style really won't fit in with the decor of my home (which is quite rustic with a pinch of modern). Someday I'll figure out the best solution, but for now, a set of drawers and acrylic makeup organizers will do nicely.

DTalksAll

I really think a rug, nice ottoman, and pretty mirror will go along way. I thought about painting the IKEA furniture, or decorating it someway, but I fear it will just get ruined quicker. I already have corners starting to lift which is annoying since we have a dehumidifier in the room, I keep it clean, it doesn't get direct sunlight.... 

BUT, it's a great temporary fix. My boyfriend got over the "IKEAish" design pretty quickly since it's functional, and everything that I had in boxes on the floor is now neatly put away. Of course there's the debate of clutter on top, but we won't go there :smileytongue: 

ladymeag

You might do better with something, even on a temporary timeline with something from one of IKEA's less utilitarian-looking lines, like Hemnes. 

upload_6980671291854980042.jpg
upload_1014231082054486014.jpg

laurabt

I was wondering if the Hemnes came in other colors, and I saw that someone painted theirs, which is a good idea. How cute! :smileyhappy: -Laura

teal vanity.JPG

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

Oooooh those are cute! I had no idea they were at IKEA! All the more reason to go check it out.

Panda168

I agree with the Ikea thing. It's not really what you want but it's affordable. Maybe you could vamp it up yourself? I'd be deathly afraid of ruining it though. I bought a nice desk from Ikea, but the storage is minimal.

ladymeag

I have an IKEA Alex 9-drawer in my main living space next to one of our 4 cube by 4 cube Expedit IKEA bookcases. The 9 drawer has everything from hairbrushes and tools to skincare to makeup to nail polish in it. I have a cube with a door that's the companion to my Alex and I store a mirror, bottles that are too tall for the Alex (mostly haircare,) and my brushes-to-be-washed in a jar in the cabinet. When it's all tucked away, it doesn't look like a vanity area. I take out my mirror in the morning and stand to the side of the Alex and have access to all of the drawers while I get ready. It's not ideal but I don't have a lot of space for something like a vanity and this keeps my main living space from looking like it's part dressing room. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 123 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • DTalksAll
    • ladymeag
    • evilpinkrobot
    • MysticalAngel
    • kiml50