LariTheLoud

Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

So with all the discussion about makeup confessions, hauls, and new TSBs, we know that we all have a serious hobby and addiction to beauty. But how do you store them in your home? Do you like how you've organized your makeup collection? Do you have the space for them? How about your space for prepping and putting on your makeup? What would you change, if you could?

Honestly, with me... I've had to make a lot of compromises and make the best out of what I have to work with! I live in a very old home, over 200 years old. I love it to pieces and I wouldn't trade it for anything. BUT it kind of lacks some of the modern conveniences that newer homes have. I don't have many good storage solutions yet, my closet space is almost nonexistent, and I'm currently using an entire room with built-in shelves to display my shoe collection. I don't yet have a proper makeup vanity, and my full-sized bathroom is laid out very poorly and does not have good ventilation, so I don't like to store my makeup in there. Instead I have cleared out the drawers in my night stand and do my best to organize my makeup in there. When I go to put it on, I grab what I need and transfer it to my bathroom, where I apply my makeup -- luckily with tons of natural light! -- on tiptoe so I can peer into my too-high and too-small vanity mirror. I can't set makeup out on top of my mirrored dresser/vanity because I have a very bratty cat that likes to wake us up every morning by pushing things off of dressers and tables, and I have nightmares that I would wake up to a shattered Lingerie de Peau bottle on my wood floors.

Let's just say that we fully intend to renovate that bathroom once we've set aside enough money for it, lol!

In my fantasy land, I would have a well-lit vanity space with six large makeup drawers, a padded bench, and a makeup mirror. Heck, I'd have a whole bathroom just for preparing my makeup every day!

More realistically, in the short term, I am going to buy Muji acrylic makeup drawers or similar makeup organizers and really keep things looking pretty in my drawers. I'd also like to buy some bathroom storage solutions (cheaper solutions, since we are saving for a renovation) to better organize my bathroom sink and vanity, and of course, I think a good makeup mirror is in my near future.

How about all of you? Are you happy with how you manage your cosmetics? Any pictures or storage ideas to share, for people with limited space? I'm curious!

LariTheLoud

Re: Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

The Alex 9-drawer looks like a great space-saving solution for cosmetics! We don't have an IKEA terribly close to us, sadly, but they have a lot of reasonable furniture pieces that we could use for storage. Maybe I'll have to take a trip out there sometime...

ladymeag

Re: Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

The best thing about IKEA is that they make furniture, as Jonathan Coulton said, for apartments smaller than mine, as if there are apartments smaller than mine. They have a lot of solutions for small apartments and weird spaces in old buildings. (My current place was built over 100 years ago. The one before it over 150 years ago.) 

btmod2

HI LariTheLoud,

I am relatively happy with how I store my cosmetics. I know that I need to get rid of some things but I have a weird attachment to a lot of my makeup and it makes it really hard for me to part with anything. I think my next step is investing in a Z Palette like the new one Sephora Collection came out with. I thing once I de-pot some of my eyeshadows, I will have a lot more free space and feel more organized! :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

ghkim

i wish i had a nice big beautiful vanity table with dressers, lighting, and all sorts of mirrors, but alas, all i have is the medicine cabinet above my sink. whatever doesn't fit in there goes on the counter or on the wall or spills over into my husband's medicine cabinet. it's sad, but it keeps me honest about what i want to keep vs what i need to get rid of. if i remember i'll take a picture when i get home.

kellsmuneoka

I don't have an IKEA so I had to find something similar. I love it, but I really want those alex drawers too. I need a mirror with lights & 3 acrylic beauty boxes. Something similar to this!Makeup-Organization-Ideas-With-White-Cabinets.jpg

laurabt

[ Edited ]

Hi LariTheLoud,

I'm in the same boat as you, my house is about 110 years old and has no storage (only 1 closet in the whole 3 bedroom house!). I've kept all my makeup on top of my dresser for years, but I'm about to get rid of the dresser to make room for a new bed, and I'm kinda freaking out about what to do with all my makeup. I'm probably going to try to consolidate it to a shelf in my standing wardrobe temporarily, but I need to figure out a better set up.  My bathroom is not an option either. So, I love seeing all the different ways you guys are organizing on here! I'm taking notes!  I think I want to build a vanity like this one.

:smileyhappy: -Laura

DIY vanity.jpg

MysticalAngel

(0) Hearts

So organized!!!

kiml50

(0) Hearts

love this vanity!

LariTheLoud

I feel your pain, Laura! So glad there are other people with way more inventive and efficient organization skills than I have! Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something that functions a little better than what we have. :smileyhappy:

annypoo

I've been wanting to get a vanity but I'm not sure what I want. (somewhere to sit and do makeup would be nice lol). I'm trying to stay budget friendly and spend within 100-200. The search continues.

LaiceeB18

Right now my vanity set up is still in the setup stages... I have a $50 desk i got from target while it was on sale (originally like $149!). And then some really cheep plastic drawers that are driving me crazy because they are just sooo cheep. Plan on getting some IKEA drawers hopefully in the future. It don't have a vanity mirror yet so it's nice that my room is right next to the bathroom, but my grandpa is making me one (he's a jack of all trades).

IttyxBittyxMe

I have a train case [which is pretty much full] and a decorative box that I got from Michaels, those two things get stored in my corner [and I say my corner because I don't have a room with my current living situation. Just a corner in the living room behind the couch aka my sleeping space]. The bathroom in my house is reallllly small and I was keeping my stuff under the sink in there at one point, but then the sink started to leak so I moved my stuff out into the living room. It's fixed now, but I like having a tad bit more space to sort stuff out in. When we do move and I get a room again this is my ideal set up. There was one girl on YT that had this beautiful wardrobe set up, but it was like $1000 and that's a no no. So this will work for me. But in the mean time, I'm probably about to buy a bigger train case. 

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Samshoediva

(0) Hearts

Is the Mirror from Ikea as well? 

I need a mirror like this so bad. The lighting in my room is horrible. 

IttyxBittyxMe

(0) Hearts

Yep! Everything is from Ikea. 

laurabt

(0) Hearts

@IttyBittyMe- I love how organized this is! That's what I need! :smileyhappy: -Laura

evilpinkrobot

I used to have that Ikea vanity table, but in black. It stored all my makeup, at the time, but the one thing that bothered me about it, was that the drawer didn't pull out far enough. I kept having to take out my storage trays if I wanted a product that was further back.

I now use an Alex nine drawer unit.

alex-drawer-unit-with--drawers__0085835_PE213729_S4.JPG

It's pretty full already and I've only had it for two months now. Eek! I don't think there's enough room in the spare closet to store another one since I also have a storage unit for my nail polishes, another for nail art, and a third for random crafts. Yes, I fully admit I have a problem.

annypoo

(0) Hearts

Is that table from Ikea? 

evilpinkrobot

(0) Hearts

Yup! The MALM dressing table.

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

You're much more organized than I am! I need these 'space saver' organization skills desperately. Your collection looks beautiful right now. :smileyhappy:

IttyxBittyxMe

(0) Hearts

I wish that was my collection! That's just how I would like my set up to be.

Missie772

I went through an entire vanity overhaul. I got a new vanity and a new storage area. YAY! Too bad I am outgrowing it already.... EEK! At first I had so much extra space so I allowed myself to buy a lot more makeup and skincare backups than I normally would and now I ran out of space. Whoops! Ha.

I do love my Muji drawers as well- I keep them on top of my vanity. I have a lamp on my desk for lighting but I want more, but I don't know if I want the large makeup mirror with lights all over...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 123 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • DTalksAll
    • ladymeag
    • evilpinkrobot
    • MysticalAngel
    • kiml50