poshified

Makeup Flop(s)

So I discovered what could possibly be the worst makeup item of the year (so far) today:

swfupload_597096651483854626.jpgUrban Decay's 24-7 Shadow Pencil in the color Sin! I've tried many other colors from the line and have loved them, but seriously, what's with the formulation of the Sin color in particular? It goes on patchy on the eyes -- not to mention tugs on the eyes -- and nearly impossible to blend! It also creases like no tomorrow, even with my NARS Smudgeproof primer. The color, on the other hand, is beautiful.

What makeup items have disappointed you so far?

lolo01

Re: Makeup Flop(s)

Im ready to return the Too Faced Brow Envy Kit, I tried to use for a week and just couldn't make these stencils work out for me. I do better free-hand with a brush and Browzings..I was disappointed though! :smileysad:brow.jpg

poshified

That sucks, because the kit is too darn adorable! Stencils have never worked for me either.

wendyomgwar

I've had pretty bad luck with the BB creams the Dr. Jarts water activated one was probably the worse thing I ever put on my skin! I also have bad luck in general with most foundations I think they're just too heavy for my skin. I've just stopped trying to buy foundations and stick with a dusting of powder.

poshified

When I tried the Dr. Jarts water fused BB cream, I literally saw beads appearing on my face that came from nowhere. Have you tried the traditional Korean and/or Japanese BB cream? They're definitely the real deal :smileyhappy:

wendyomgwar

(0) Hearts

I definitely want to but I'm scared that they'll be too light for me! Thats the only problem with online shopping you can't test the colors out grr!

dannyc

[ Edited ]

I like sin, but I've never used it on my lid... I always apply it to the brow bone as a highlighter, or in the corner of my eyes. In a pinch I can use it as a highlighter on my cheek bones, I need to rub it on my finger first & then blend it in. 

One of my recent disappointments was the Dior brow pencil everyone raves about. Even with the lightest hand it still made my brows look to bold. I exchanged it for the tarte brow mousse & I couldn't be happier. 

poshified

I'm always on the lookout for a good brow product, so I'll be sure to give the Tarte one a go! Also, great tip on the uses of Sin! I have to try them sometime!

roxystar4

most of what I've tried from Physicians Formula has disappointed me. I do like their shimmer strips trio eyeliners (waterproof thou)- not the kohl but the eyeliners.

poshified

I have to agree with Superjulienne on the Eyebooster eyeliners from Physician's Formula! It's an exact dupe for the LORAC Pro Eyeliner for a fraction of the price :smileyhappy:. I've tried their face products in the past and it broke me out, so I've stayed away ever since.

superjulienne

Have you tried their eye booster eyeliner that is a silver pen?  It's my absolute favourite liquid eyeliner, and I have used it since ever since it came out (in 2011?).  The 'ultra black' colour is really nice; I had made the mistake of getting the 'black,' and it wasn't very intense.

The tip is more of a brush which I love versus felt tip liners.

roxystar4

good to know! thanks ladies :smileyhappy:

mafan

For goodness sake, take them back! You can't tell when you ordered that things just won't work out. Sephora has a great return policy. 

I guess my fail was the "Ten" palette from Tarte. I wanted to try a bit more color and thought these would work, and it was on sale. I kept trying to find some way to make it work, but for some reason everything looked bad on me. I took it back and was much happier with other things. And Sephora has a customer who is more likely to shop there than anywhere else because I know if it doesn't work, I can return it. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Tarte's powder eyeshadows never really impressed me, minus the ones from the Aqualilies palette. I definitely am thankful for Sephora's amazing return policy (unlike certain department stores'!)

Meg82

I was really bummed by the OCC Lip Tar.  I think part of it is that I can't find a color that works for me, but it also doesn't seem to agree with my lips.  It is super drying, it rubs off everywhere even when I only use a tiny bit and when it gets close to wearing off (which is also when it looks best) it starts to flake.

I really wanted to make that work, but i'm thinking it probably won't.

emmaclaire

I was disappointed by Lip Tar as well - I really really really wanted to love it, especially with all the hype, but it was just bleh.  The color I have is gorgeous enough that I decided to keep it, but I won't be buying any more.  They also settle (at least mine does) which is a seriously annoying trait because it's SO HARD to mix them back up again!

Sigh.  Sephora addict problems!

poshified

First world issues! lol

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

LOL exactly!

dianabt

@poshified I've had the same feeling about OCC lip tars- the little case and brush is cute but I like to swipe and go. :smileyhappy: I finally found a shade I love (Sci Fi Lullabies in Pris) and it's not too drying and gives a really cool opal shiny shade to anything.

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Sci Fi Lullabies Lip Tar Collection

One product that doesn't agree with me? Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes. My lashes looked amazing but wow was it flakey and drying. :smileysad: very sad but just not for me.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
poshified

(0) Hearts

Lip Tars are too high maintenanced for me and extremely drying for me. I hear they have lip gloss formulas now or something along that line :smileyhappy:

Meg82

i tried one of the gloss formulations, it didn't seem noticeably different from the regular.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 29 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • dannyc
    • emmaclaire
    • wendyomgwar
    • dianabt
    • poshified
    • mafan