Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Macy's Not Accepting Returns on Opened Beauty Products Anymore??

Hey guys! 

I don't post on here often, but wanted to share what happened to me today. 

I went to Macy's to return the Too Faced white chocolate chip palette today (was not impressed!) with the receipt and return sticker accompanying me. An employee working the Impulse area informed me that Macy's will no longer be accepting returns on opened beauty products because it costed them too much. She still let me return the palette, though, just for this time. 

Wondering; has anyone else encountered this new policy yet?!? I will definitely not be purchasing makeup or skincare from Macy's anymore, I have sensitive skin and am quite picky about my products, especially when they can be purchased elsewhere and returned if I'm dissatisfied. 

Tags:

Re: Macy's Not Accepting Returns on Opened Beauty Products Anymore??

I purchase from Macy's Channel foundation last week and return today.  I was asked if I had used it and I say I tried it for one day only.  The SPF made my eyes watery all day.  She said they can't accept opened items.  I ask where in the receipt does it say that.  Also, if its a policy I should have been inform when I purchase it.  I ask if this was Channel policy and she said yes.  I said let me ask another store who sells Channel and see if its true.  Well, it's not true, I asked Nordstrom and was told its not true as long you have proof you purchase the product at their store.  Yes, you can return opened used cosmetics.  Now Sephora accepts returns.  If Sephora carries an item I need, I buy there first.  This was Macy's Channel are at Mayfair Mall Wauwatosa WI.  And their people skills is awful.  

The sales associate lied to me as well. They told me that cosmetics can only be returned if unused. I just checked the cosmetics return policy online. It states that cosmetics can be returned within 180 days of purchase in unused or lightly used condition. Next time, I'll be showing them this policy posted online and reporting this to their manager.

@hannahjojowrote:

Hey guys! 

I don't post on here often, but wanted to share what happened to me today. 

I went to Macy's to return the Too Faced white chocolate chip palette today (was not impressed!) with the receipt and return sticker accompanying me. An employee working the Impulse area informed me that Macy's will no longer be accepting returns on opened beauty products because it costed them too much. She still let me return the palette, though, just for this time. 

Wondering; has anyone else encountered this new policy yet?!? I will definitely not be purchasing makeup or skincare from Macy's anymore, I have sensitive skin and am quite picky about my products, especially when they can be purchased elsewhere and returned if I'm dissatisfied. 

FA0E004F-294E-4A15-9FC9-FF71A6E7C874.png

Today is Black Friday so maybe Clinique/Macys didn’t want annoyed customers. I had no idea the return policy had changed. Went to Clinique counter and was told that they are no longer accepting opened/used makeup BUT she’d make an exception for today... returned eyebrow pencil I used once. 

I bought some ABH lipgloss on sale for 50% off, but wasn't sure if I bought colors I already have.  The SA did tell me not to open it and I can return it.  I thought it was because it was lip color because she didn't say anything about he UD setting spray.

Anonymous Insider

thanks for the warning. yeah. guess i'm never buying beauty products from macy's ever again; not that i have been anyway. 

I can't stand macys.  They've been terrible to deal with since they started closing hundreds of stores so this is how they want to make money now....

by by the way, the margins on makeup is so huge this is ridiculous.

@hannahjojo This happened to me too ! I returned a MAC lipstick and I received the wrong color. I was so excited to receive the new Mariah Carey lipstick that I ordered, that I didn't even bother to look at the name, I immediately went to go try it on to only realize that the color was off so I went to check the name on the box, and it was not the lipstick color I ordered. Long story short I explained to them the situation and even showed the Mac employee my order form with the correct lipstick color, and they said I couldn't return it because it was used. I asked to speak to a manager and explained my situation to them and they made an exception. 

That's so frusturating!! Glad they returned it, i've had similar situations and would have been so upset if they didn't return it. 

Thanks for posting.  I didn't know this.

Macy's is having a money crisis.  They can't be taking a loss over picky customers!  At some point, it has to stop if the math is not adding up. They are shutting down as I type this!

Hi @hannahjojo! I'm so sorry to hear this! I have purchased and returned a couple of Macy's online makeup orders to a standalone store, and have never had any problem. It doesn't seem like Macy's cosmetics return policy has changed, and here it is, verbatim: 

"Cosmetics can be returned at any time after purchase in new or gently used condition."

If you encounter any similar problem, I would show the return policy page from macys.com, and/or call the corporate customer service right at the spot. Hope this helps!

Yea, but you don't know in what condition people are returning cosmetics, etc.   People only tell half the story and they allowed her to return.  So, it is all good! 

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 28 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos1
  • FA0E004F-294E-4A15-9FC9-FF71A6E7C874.png
testing