Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

MARCH 2017 FAVORITES !

it is time.

march17faves.jpg

1. REN evercalm gentle cleansing milk. i've had this for a little while, and have enjoyed it, but this month i grew to love it. i just find it's so comforting (as the name would suggest) between the creamy texture and the smell (vaguely tea-like ?). leaves my skin plump but not so rich that it causes me any problems. i typically use this as an a.m. cleanse.
  2. REN vita mineral omega 3 optimum skin oil. another REN product, another product that i have had for a little while but have grown deep appreciation for only this month. when i first got it last fall, it immediately helped sort out a flakey nose situation that was going on. i was so impressed i more or less overused it and it caused a minor break out. but now i know it wasn't the product, but how--in my over enthusiasm--i was using it. one pump does me, i particularly like using it in the morning (or part of facials) on no makeup days. it's very lightweight and yet nourishing and glow-and-bounce-giving. 
  3. BITE multisticks. my enthusiasm for these was born after receiving the 'almond' shade as a 100 pt perk. i've now picked up cashew and mascarpone as well. i use them for everything--eyes, cheek and lips. i lovvvvve the monochromatic look and these make it a breeze.
  4. CLINIQUE chubby stick sculpting highlight. another 100 pt perk discovery, this is my perfect highlight color !!!!!!!!. i find it just blends into my skin so seamlessly, but still provides the perfect amount of wet-look glow. no glitter, natural but not entirely undetectable. i've read some people find this wipes off their foundation, i haven't experienced that, but there is a bit of a wet texture to this (it doesn't bother me). i don't wear highlighter that often, but this one has me wearing highlight every day.
  5. KORRES lip butter (this one is in wild rose; i love all of them). my favorite balm. butter is the perfect word for these. they're blissful to use (just feel amazing) and the pigmentation--for a balm--is actually quite lovely ! i'm glad i've brought this back into my life after a 7 year hiatus.
  6. NARS audacious angela. i've been craving pink-stained lips for spring, and have found myself reaching for angela the most. most cool-toned pinks scare me (it can go barbie real fast, which just isn't my thing), but angela (who has a hint of purple rather than blue, which is why i think i can make it work) brightens my face so brilliantly and consistently gives me a perfect orchid-stained pout. i tend to apply with my finger and press into my lips.
  7. THE SUM - THE BLACK EDP. this niche perfume is super simple: it's oud. the sum is a jewelry brand based out of L.A. and each of their fragrances has a sterling silver ball floating in the juice that lends a hint of metallic aquaticness that makes them all rather unique. this perfume is totally unisex and sophisticated and utterly minimal. lovvvvve.

ok that was a lot ! YOUR TURN !

Re: MARCH 2017 FAVORITES !

I left this out by accident in my earlier post. I bought this to cover up the redness I have on my chin but I've also been using it as an eye shadow primer with really great results. I already like my Becca brightener for my under eye area so I don't use it there but I've tested it a couple times and like it (don't love it). But for my chin, small spots and as an eye primer I just loooove it. 

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer in SX01

IMG_2900.JPG

Oh nice! I have a sample of this and am going to pull it out to try. Thanks for posting about it! 

March feels like it flew by. Whooosh!

IMG_7398.JPG

I had a lot of misses this month, and a lot of things I haven't been able to really try yet because I'm sick, but these were the things I really enjoyed.

Milk Makeup Holographic Stick in Supernova and CoverFX Custom Enhancer Drops in Halo

I can't decide which of these I like better. I actually ended up using both at the same time for a couple of days because I mixed halo into my foundation and used the milk stick for my highlighter. In general these pale purple/blue highlights seem to really compliment my skin a lot better than other highlights. I thought they would look too dramatic, but since my skin has a bluish cast to it anyway (you can see my veins through my skin), it works on me and I seem to be able to pull off a range of more to less dramatic looks with them.

Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon

OK, I have had this for a year now and it still hasn't dried up. My other shades in this range of liquid lipsticks all dried up/went wonky within the 6M time range it states on the container, but the icon shade is still going strong and still looks amazing on me. I'm trying to use it up before I lose it, and I'm being reminded in the process of doing so that people constantly compliment me on my lipstick when I wear it. Once I use this up, I might have to try out the Girl stylo in Icon and see if it has a similar effect.

Smith & Cult - Gay Ponies Dancing in the Snow

This lasted an unusually long amount of time on my nails. I love the name and I love the color of the sparkles. Overall a great product and I can't believe I dragged my heels on ordering it for so long.

By Terry Baum de Rose lip care

This is a sample I received as a GWP. I wouldn't normally purchase this product because I think it's overpriced. ($60 for a lip balm!?!?!?!) That said, this has saved my lips! I went on a trip to Boston and came down with some sort of New England bronchial death flu which resulted in blowing my nose until my lips becoming a chapped mess, so I dug this out of my sample bin since I don't want to contaminate my other lip balms. This stuff is amazing! I'm not quite over my flu yet, but the chapped mess that used to be my upper lip is almost completely healed up thanks to this. I won't be repurchasing this though, I just can't bring myself to spend $60 on a lip balm.

Invisibobble Time to Shine hair rings in You're Golden

I've been growing my hair out for the past two years and these things have been a life saver. I'm still not a big fan of the way they look, but at least the gold version looks a little cooler than the solid color ones.

Levitate English Rose candle

I got this from the candle section of Marshalls, on discount. The scent on it is beautiful. Not too overpowering, but sweet and gentle. Like a good rose should smell. 

Hourglass Powder Brush No 1

I already adored the other Hourglass brushes I owned, so I had a feeling I would love this one. It has easily replaced my trusty Mac 134 as my favorite powder brush. I would say it's looser and a better shape than my Mac 134 was, but denser and better at even distribution than my It Cosmetics 127.

On the bright side, I've also used up a bunch of samples of things because I don't want to use my normal makeup while I'm sick.

@purly, what do you use to apply the cover fx halo drops? I recently had it applied on me with I believe a foundation brush (or something similar, she dropped the drops on her hand and then put the brush in it), but I'm wondering what other ways it could be applied. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

Well the best results are from mixing it in with my foundation. As for direct application, so you really get that liquid metal look, I like using my finger. I just squeeze a single drop out onto my finger and then pat it in place on my face, then blend as needed with my sponge if I want to make it less dramatic. I have tried applying it with various brushes and the beauty blender, but it seems to apply best with just my finger for the direct application.

Once I am well again, I'm going to try mixing it with liquid blush and other things.

@purly, thanks for letting me know! 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8131.jpg

I gravitated to red and berry lipsticks in March because I was trying to wear as many dark colors as possible before the warmer months, when I'm drawn to pinks and corals. Clockwise from upper left: Nars Marlene, Marc Jacobs So Rouge, NYX Siren, Bite Berry Rouge, Nars Charlotte, and Nars Vesuvio. 

I had a devil of a time trying to photograph these tubes. The light kept reflecting off the metal packaging, so in the end, the reds look pretty true to life and the berries are hard to make out. So here's a collage of them in action this past month. 

lipsticks2.jpg

I think MJ So Rouge is the really standout color in that lot. Looks really good on you!

Thank you, @purly

@TKLJ I absolutely love your lip swatches Heart And I've been the opposite of you, I've been wearing nudes throughout winter... oh well haha

My favourite on you has to be MJ So Rouge. It gives off Old Hollywood vibes, and I love Old Hollywood.

@Melissa136 Thank you! I think So Rouge is the only VIB Rouge gift I ever kept.

And I can't wait to break into my nudes! I feel like I own a lot of jewel-toned winter sweaters, so I don't think nudes look as good with them, but once it's T-shirt weather, sign me up for the pale colors.

@TKLJ, I actually have NARS Charlotte sitting at my desk right now. I tried it a while ago and it's such a beautiful color! I've also been trying to wear my darker colors before it gets warm here, but seeing as how the sun is already out most days now...I think my chances are coming to a close. 😄

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT Charlotte is one of those colors that I always forget about because my brain keeps remembering it as a deep jewel red (like Nars Olivia), when it actually is more of a berry red. 

And I was worried that I wouldn't be able to wear all my vampy shades before spring and summer hit because we had some really unseasonably warm days, but then it became overcast and gross again. 😄

Some of the products which got most love this month

IMG_6068.JPG

ABH X Nichole Guerriero When I bought this palette,I thought it is too glittery but surprisingly I love it.

Shiseido Ultimune Power infusing concentrate is one product that I never purchased but it is always in my stash and in dry winter I love to use it before moisturizer, every time I rinse my face during the day. I feel it increases the effectiveness of the moisturizer.

Verb Ghost Oil This is one oil that makes my hair soft without weighting it down.

Soap&Glory Heel Genius I love to pamper my feet almost as much as my face and this foot cream along with Sephora Foot mask is a perfect combination.

Caudalie Hand cream Can't say enough about this stuff.

Nars Isadora I didn't use it much after buying but this month , it is the blush I reached for more often.

MUFE Medium Fan Brush I don't think I can manage to properly use a highlighter on my cheek bones without this one.

Picture isn't clear because I lost light and I may forget to share if I leave it to the morning so here it is anyways.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention my favourite lip piercing of March, Sephora cream lip stain in 38 sweet raspberry It is such a pretty bright but not overly shouting ruspberry colours and formula of Sephora lip stains is one of my favourite In liquid lipsticks.

@fatimamummy I thought the same thing about the glow kit, but I've learned to love what it has to offer. Becca highlighters and ABH glow kits have a huge contrast with their finishes. It's nice to have some variety!

@Melissa136 Watching all the impossible metallic highlights all over IG made me love it . Although I can't see my self wearing crazy amount but this palette gives just right amount of glittery metallic highlight with so many colour options.

@fatimamummy I absolutely love our foot masks! I love that when I work at home or I'm just relaxing, I can pop them on and even walk around in them. Convenient for me, but my mom asks me why I look like I'm going to go to a science lab. 😄 

XOXO,
Marieke

Lol @MariekeBT I do the same and my kids say Mom got duck feet 😂

@fatimamummy the caudalie hand cream is my favorite hand cream OF ALL TIME. it's almost a burden because it's ruined all others for me ! 

I can relate @jemly

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • march17faves.jpg
  • IMG_9255.JPG
  • IMG_3178.JPG
  • march.jpg
  • MarchFavorites2017.jpg
  • IMG_2754.JPG
  • IMG_6660.JPG