weeeeweeeeeee

Items to avoid at all cost.

Since the sale is rumored to be coming up, I'm just curious as to what products or even brands I should be avoiding in general. There are posts for overrated products, but being overrate indicates that there is something decent about it. But I am interested in items and brands that you absolutely hate.

infinitise

Re: Items to avoid at all cost.

(0) Hearts

I agree with many products that are listed here and is a bit relieved that I'm not the only one who doesn't think those products are great. 

• Nars and benefit pencil eyeliners - they're one of the worst I've used. I never had a drugstore eyeliner, but I bet these are worse. Nars one is so chalky that it hurts my lids (its almost like rubbing an eraser) and the color payoff is faint grey not black especially halfway thru the pencil. and the benefit one just doesn't draw on the eyes 
  • Giorgio Armani maestro foundation, Smashbox studio skin, Mac studio finish, Mac mineralize foundations broke me out alot. not a pleasant experience. 
  • Smashbox primer in light - I bought this because of my oily tzone, but it made my foundation look sooo bad.. my makeup couldn't look anymore dehydrated than it is. and yet it makes them wear down quicker than if I use a different one 
  • Toofaced eye shadows. I get that they're cute looking, but quality is really disappointing. I don't know where they get the idea to put a price tag as such on so "cheap feeling" products. 
  • Glamglow in my opinion is too irritating if you have sensitive skin. the clay itself it quite liquidy before it hardens but there's these little beads that hurts. I haven't seen any miracle results
  • Bobbi Brown long lasting foundation. their skin foundation is not bad.. I don't like it, but it "wears down" nicely.. so you look better 5 hours later than when you freshly applied your makeup. but this long lasting is one of the worst I've seen. its chalky and thick but doesn't have any coverage. just extremely dry looking. because it dries so quick, its easy to get it to look cakey too. 
  • Stila's liquid eyeliner - I don't like Stila brand in general, but the sparkly liquid eyeliners have the best applicator. its soo easy to use. but within the hour, it starts to chip like some cheap nail polish and starts smudging at the same time 
emmaclaire

If you liked the Stila sparkly liquid eyeliner applicator you should check out Make Up For Ever's Aqua liquid liner, Lancome's art liner liquid liner, and/or Milani liquid liner.  They all have the same applicator!  I love the Make Up For Ever one.

infinitise

oh wow Thank you :smileyhappy:

I didn't know mufe had a great liquid eyeliner but i will definitely give it a shot :smileyhappy: 

I've been hearing things about milani, is it worth trying out? 

emmaclaire

No problem!  And I definitely think Milani is worth looking into - it IS a drugstore brand so I think it's not necessarily as consistent across the board with their products, but they have some really great products.  I like their liquid liner, as I mentioned, and I have heard rave reviews about their blush and lipstick!

annekevdb

I went away for half a day and this thread got all awesome. LOLs. 

dolceloure

I find that I'm liking Benefit less and less. I used to be a huge fan when I first started shopping Sephora, but the more I tried other brands the more I realized that most Benefit products seem to be cute packaging/names but not much else. 

...I had more to say on this, but started reading the previous posts/comments and just...got really thrown off, trying to make sense of what was going on, lol.

what

LaiceeB18

Oh and dolce it all pretty much escalated very quickly :smileytongue:

LaiceeB18

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

For those of you guys I want your honest opinion... For chic week I had planned on getting a blush of Benefits (everyone seems to use them) So is it just hit miss or should I consider going with like a Nars blush or... some other brand? I know this is like a disenable thread but you can enable me here or with a PM :smileyhappy: :smileytongue:

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

I used to have Benefit's Bella Bamba and was really into it at the time -- it had a warm, pink/peachy tone and had just a bit of shimmer and I thought it looked good. Oh, but the brush that came with it was crap, and the box that it came in drove me crazy (put it in a pan like all the other makeup companies do!!)...but I do remember thinking it was good. I also have Nars Orgasm and I think the quality's a bit better than Benefit. All that said, I must admit I don't have strong feelings about blush as I tend to wear bronzer instead! So, maybe ignore me, lol.

CuriousCannibal

(0) Hearts

I have bella bamba and rockateur and LOVE both blushes! I highly recommend them (and I like them a lot more than the few nars blushes that i've tried)

emmaclaire

Actually I think a LOT of people really love their blushes.  Personally, I would recommend Clinique's Cheek Pops (I know I said I didn't like Clinique that much but these blushes are HG material…they are soooooooo nice) or Illamasqua blush.  I'm sure others will disagree, but I don't think Benefit blushes get people hysterical - they certainly have a following and a lot of people own them, but I would be surprised if they were a lot of peoples' HG blush.

LaiceeB18

(0) Hearts

I love the cheek pops. I have two of them already. I didn't even think about Illamasqua. I could even look into Hourglass as I sit here thinking about it... or there the new naked flushed but that gives me a few worries too (I hear its all pretty shimmery... I really like the ones that just give a nice sheen.. like the pops. or something that isn't too glittery... 

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I know exactly what you mean - I love a bit of shimmer/sheen but HATE glitter.  Illamasqua Morale is frosty and has a pronounced sheen, but most of their other shades are matte.  I'd look into the Hourglass blushes as well, it seems like there are at least some that are matte (or very nearly matte).  Also, while it's not at Sephora, MAC has some very decent blushes - particularly the satin finish blushes, which have a very subtle sheen but no shimmer or sparkle (similar finish to the Clinique Cheek Pops!)

emmaclaire

This is such a tough topic.  I really dislike Benefit for multiple reasons (all previously mentioned by other users), and I'm not particularly impressed by Clinique.  But I'm not sure I could name a brand as a whole that is so bad I would warn others to avoid it at all costs.  

I know I've hated specific products before but again, it's all personal preference and others will disagree about a product passionately - one's woman's hate is another's HG!

CuriousCannibal

Tarte, mainly. Maybe it's just me, but their products have left me disappointed. The mascaras make my eyelashes look phenomenal... but they dry out VERY quickly.

I got one of their eyeshadow palettes over the holidays, and there was absolutely NO pigmentation, even with the darker colors.

I suppose the blushes are "alright" but I wasn't exactly thrilled with them.

Lipsurgences...some are okay, some aren't.

The only thing I've actually liked from tarte is their new loose powder foundation thing. Now THAT is an amazing product.

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

I agree with this. I have been super, super excited to try Tarte products and when I did it was just kind of 'meh.' I wish I could love them as much as other people do, but I just can't get on board. I own one small mini blush which I find is 'okay,' but there are so many great blush formulas out there that I am not sure I'll buy a full size yet.

Panda168

(0) Hearts

I have to agree. I love the mascara, but since it's a drier formula it dries out very fast. Plus, I'm not super impressed with much else from their company. The eye shadows are not bad, but not all winners.

kristallovesdogs

(0) Hearts

As far as products that didn't live up to my expectations, that's how I feel about Smashbox products.  I've tried several shadows and lippies and am not a fan of the quality.  I also can't seem to find a good foundation shade regardless of what line of their's I try.  But of course that is all personal preference.

emmaclaire

Definitely goes to show how far personal preferences will take you - I'm a huge Smashbox lover!  I'll even custom blend their foundation to force a match because I love the formula.  And I've never had a problem with their eyeshadows!

Samshoediva

(0) Hearts

Honestly the only thing I love from smashbox is there CC cream and primers. 

Theie eyeshadows have a ton of fall out and their lippies are very drying on my lips. I also hated there BB cream it did nothing for me. 

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

I'm not really feeling Tarte stuff I've tried.

Eyeshadows look like a big muddied blur once I get them on. I dunno how to explain it.

Lipgloss is meh.

JMO!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 110 replies
  • 314 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • maltipoo66
    • emmaclaire
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • marydiva
    • colorprodigy
    • lyravega
    • kristallovesdogs
    • jojobe
    • tracygirl64
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • ry22
    • ChicDabbler
    • dolceloure
    • ladymeag
    • missjr
    • minnie07
    • sangova
    • miabt
    • ivyxox
    • gingerblack
    • xoxcrystal
    • Gigi2017
    • Panda168
    • annekevdb
    • infinitise
    • BeautyLove02
    • notcreative
    • mdelrosario91
    • sugarkenzie
    • Loretta55
    • RolyPoly
    • TeemaB
    • ireneh
    • taystee
    • person11
    • jaha8005
    • linda711
    • ShinyMagpie
    • love2shop42
    • meecheroo
    • DitzCore
    • gogreyhound
    • BrennaBombshell
    • YouAreAlways
    • m3rma1d
    • annec322
    • End0ra
    • LariTheLoud
    • LaiceeB18
    • redwagon44
    • 1SultrySCENTNut
    • ColorCrazed
    • Samshoediva
    • CuriousCannibal
    • PinkKittyBeauty
Photos7
  • upload_5615434262397965190.jpg
  • chicken-rooster-photos-pics-funny-meme-lol-oh-hey-there-photobomb_thumb-6873.jpg
  • OprahSideEye.gif
  • what
  • save-the-trees-sorry-for-bad-english_o_1702047.jpg
  • upload_8030700209785295679.gif
  • upload_6920269125209791790.gif