runy

Itching for a buy...

It's only been 2 weeks since my last beauty related purchase, and I'm already itching for a buy!!  Anyone else experience "withdrawl" symptoms from trying to stagger their buying?  I'm trying to save my buy for Feb.. but I almost feel like I can't wait!

daisy346

Re: Itching for a buy...

(0) Hearts

Makeup & skincare products have replaced clothes & shoes for my #1 shopping weakness. I've always liked to buy makeup- you don't build a collection like mine in just a few years, but my primary thing that I shopped for used to be clothes & shoes. I really don't have the time, energy, or $ to do that much shopping AND go nuts on the skincare products/ makeup so very gradually over the last 2-3 years it's changed. I always enjoyed a good Sephora trip, but I'd only go about 2-3 times a year. Clothes, on the other hand, I was ALWAYS shopping for. Now I only buy a few clothes at the start of each season & that's it. I still have plenty of things to wear after all those years of shopping!

Mermadelove, I'm vegetarian & would like to be vegan, but can't seem to stick to that long-term. I've compromised by cutting back a lot on dairy & what I do eat I try to get organic as much as possible. Ideally I would like to do better with using natural makeup , but there are so many pretty things out there it's hard. I do watch the ingredients a lot in things I buy, in particular, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. 

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@daisy346: I was vegan for 2 years. I find that being vegetarian or even flexetarian ( occasional seafood, poultry) is the best thing for me long term. I do watch what I take in and do organic and local as much as possible and read ingredients on my products, but with my color, I do love UD (as everybody knows) and Too faced. I love Tarte, Buxom, and BE. I haven't used thier eyeshadows and liners-- UD is just too spectacular for me to pass up and Too Faced runs a respectable second. I figure if I;m caredul elsewhere I can play a little! :smileyhappy:

daisy346

Being vegetarian is easy for me. Since the day I started it, I haven't regretted it, or missed meat. Vegan is much harder. I do enjoy some dairy products. I figure by cutting back a lot it's good for my health & by using organic  I'm not contributing to animals suffering, so for now I'm going with that. I do try to eat mostly whole grains, beans, & veggies with just the occasional dairy item so it's not a huge part of diet.

pinkipinklips

(0) Hearts

I am so sad about all the wonderful things i could be buying but i'm broke right now sigh:smileysad:

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

Myu...... :smileysad:

I'm stalking the cyber shelves myself! I just went to the drugstore and spent $17! I needed a fix and I only had $20 to spend.....! LOL!

sarithor

(0) Hearts

I made a purchase last night... I got Sephora Collection Age Defying Serum (I've been wanting to try their skin care line and I ran out of a serum just the other day)  and I bought 2 new fingernail polishes. Ever since I chatted with Officegal in her lounge post, I thought to myself, that I'm going to try and do my nails more often... like really try this time haha. At least my toe nails... polish always last longer on them.

I wasn't going to make the purchase, but every once in a while I will act like I'm checking out to see what their 500 point perk is, cause I have A LOT of points. I only like to use the 500 point perk if its a full sized item, cause really I spent 500 dollars, the least sephora can do is give me a full sized item, not just a bigger deluxe size haha. Well, last night it was a full sized Benefit Coralista and a deluxe size of their badgal lash. So I HAD to make a purchase! I've always wanted the Coralista blush lol.

But, now I'm kind of regretting it, cause I know Tarte is coming out with something soon that I think I  want. I think it comes out in March... I'm hoping at least. Its called Tarte Pure Maracuga Oil. Its for your face and its full of vitamin C and Omegas. Suppose to brighten your skin without an oily film... sounds pretty cool! I'm going to try to win it at Allure.com.

officegal

sarithor wrote:

I made a purchase last night... I got Sephora Collection Age Defying Serum (I've been wanting to try their skin care line and I ran out of a serum just the other day)  and I bought 2 new fingernail polishes. Ever since I chatted with Officegal in her lounge post, I thought to myself, that I'm going to try and do my nails more often...

Oh no, I didn't mean to enable you to grow your nail polish stash!  LOL But what colours did you get?

I didn't have any anti-aging products among my skincare items and I've been concerned with lines lately, so I did some drugstore shopping, too.  Normally I'd run to Sephora and drop a few hundred on the best-rated stuff, but I got burned by some Ole Henriksen stuff not too long ago and decided to splurge low.  I don't know if you guys have it in the States, but there's a British drugstore line called Boots No.7 and their perfecting serum has been getting rave reviews online.  So I got the serum and the night cream, and they both make your skin feel so instantaneously smooth!  They claim to reduce the look of lines in 4 weeks but I think I already see a difference.

Anyway, yeah, I hit the drugstores and got those, some more nail polish :smileysad: and a Burt's Bees cuticle cream.  Not terrible but I wasn't supposed to buy any new stuff either.

runy

(0) Hearts

You know what's sad ladies?  I actually avoid going to some places because I know I will lose control.  Like Ulta, I legitimatly need to visit Ulta because I need hair conditioner, but who knows what kind of makeup purchases that will lead to?

@Officegal: What's the deal with Boots?  I keep hearing good things and almost bought something to try when I was at Target, but I had quite a few unfinished skincare items that needed attending to at home.  Their price point is very good.

officegal

(0) Hearts

It's best to avoid the traps if you know you're not strong enough!  :smileywink:  Ask a friend or family member to grab the conditioner for you and don't go to Ulta.

I don't know if we're getting the full range of Boots products here (I'm in Canada).  I saw two lines of skincare products from them and they were both geared for older women.  One was the anti-aging stuff I mentioned dealing with appearances of lines, and the other was for even older people since it referred to "lifting."  Apparently the stuff just flies off the shelves when it's on sale, so the drugstores have been putting out a lot more of it at the front than they did before.  All I know is that my face is baby smooth this morning after using the serum and night cream last night and I'm so happy I didn't rush to Sephora to spend twice as much!  (Serum and night cream were both around Cdn$30 - a bit high for drugstore but still nowhere near as much as department store stuff and above.)

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@officegal: I've seen the boots stuff, mostly  when I've been visiting family. Up here I've only seen one or two products. What are the ingredients like? I tend to lean heavily towards the natural-- except for UD and Too Faced-- a girl's gotta have her colors!

sarithor

(0) Hearts

correction Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil... not Maracuga

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@Sarithor: HOW do you know that Tarte will be the 500 point perk in MArch? Or are you saying that you wish you had held out buy that instead of the stuff you just bought?

sarithor

(0) Hearts

haha, no Tarte is coming out with that soon, as a new product of theirs. I read it in my Allure magazine, but its the Feb issue... and all it says is that it comes out next month... So I dunno if they mean Feb, cause I got this in Jan, or if the mean March, because this is a Feb issue... haha. I wish they would've just said the date! I'm hoping it comes out in March, that way I can have enough time to wait to make another purchase, so it doesn't look like I'm going out of control lol.

prettyinpa

(0) Hearts

I've seen those claims in Allure that a product is coming out "next month", I waited for a blush once that they claimed was going to be out next month and it never did appear on the shelves, I kept haunting the Sephora and Ulta and it was never released! Hopefully your product will arrive in March!

mermadelove

sarithor wrote:

I wish they would've just said the date! I'm hoping it comes out in March, that way I can have enough time to wait to make another purchase, so it doesn't look like I'm going out of control lol.

LOL!

I'm kinda out of control-- but not really. I don't use credit cards unless I'm just using them like charge cards and planning to pay them off all at once when they come, so I have to stay in control........

sarithor

lol,  I definitely can get out of control... its bad when y ou actually need something, but you buy stuff from sephora that you really don't need instead. Like I need some new clothes... but everytime when I get a chance to buy some, I always end up telling myself "well...its not like I'm naked or anything... I'll get clothes next time!" and I go and buy some make up lol.

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@sarithor: ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

pocketvenus

(0) Hearts

You can always try making your own beauty products :smileyhappy: I love trying new recipes for facial masks - so many combinations and so easy to make. My favourite latest one is mixing honey, yogurt and cocoa powder into a thick paste. It is so moisturizing!

mrstgm

(0) Hearts

I like to mix my own too, sometimes.  Favorite lipstick down to the last drops in the tube?  I'll scoop it out of the tube and mix it with the last of another color to make a new shade.  Pack it into a small jar, and I feel like I've got a brand new lip color!

kalex

I "shop" my own stash when I'm feeling itchy to buy new makeup or skincare.  I usually end up finding things I completely forgot about!  This would've been helpful had I done this a couple weeks ago instead of placing an order at Smashbox.  I ordered an eyeshadow I already had that was still unopened!

Hopefully we can keep the TSBs going and that will help us with our resolutions not to buy as much!

runy

I have to practice shopping my stash more often!  Thanks for the tip Kalex!

@officegirl I agree I too feel like a lot goes to waste.  I really try hard to rotate.

Girls I was really good today, I went into Target to pick up a makeup brush, and walked out with just that.  Yaye- self control!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 110 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • officegal
    • prettyinpa