It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below Smiley Happy

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

Pixi glow mud mask - I wanted to love it since it's so accessible (at Target) and affordable. and many people have had good experiences with this mask and line in general. I like how it feels when it's on and how it smells. and It's blueish! what a cool color. And I enjoy mud/clay masks in general for my combo skin. The first time I tried it, the next day I noticed some small red bumps around my cheeks. I was worried, but I waited till they disappeared and tried the mask again. Got the same reaction. I gave it to my friend with the disclaimer that it broke me out, but still tried it and it broke her out too!

Farmacy Eye dew - Caused swelling on and around my eyes and small bumpy rash under my eyes. My eyes itched and watered so bad and it never fully dried down (I used the smalled bit) and felt tacky until the next morning. I was so sad this did not work for me - whyy 😢

Cover fx Halo drops 💔 - initially ok on top of makeup  but a big no no mixed in with foundation or moisturizer, my face itched right away (I recall Candacebt mentioned this initially so i agree) and broke something fierce. When applied on just cheekbones, I did see small bumps appear but not as extreme as when I mixed it in with another product. 

Almost all Sunday Riley products Except the new CEO, I tried out the sample foils 3-4 times now and so far so good! I may just be purchasing full size of this, the scent is pleasing too! 

Fresh soft cream and honey mask - broke me out under the skin. Don't care much for the soya cleanser and rose lip balm either. Youth preserve is probably the only ok product for me in the skincare line. 

Josie Maran - none of the creams and oils. 

Honourable mention: Drunk Elephant - the spf and couple of products I tried were a no for me. 

Image result for loreal hair scrub

It didn't work for me -_-

#1, I really enjoy the Christophe Robin salt scrub, but I've yet to successfully grow money on trees so I've yet to splurge on the full size container.

#2, I'm definitely not opposed to drug store/cheaper items, so when I saw L'Oreal had launched this hair scrub I figured I'd give it a whirl. Not to mention my Cartwheel app had a $2 off coupon so why not try it while I could also knock a few bucks off?

Ugh.

I'll start with this, I heard the Target cashier scan my app....but low and behold, the coupon never came off, so I didn't "save" any money at all upon purchasing it.

When I opened this stuff it had a strange, medicinal, kind of creamy fruity scent. It wasn't entirely off-putting, but definitely not what I was expecting. The packaging advertised apricot seeds so my brain instantly thought "St. Ives apricot scrub", but that was not the scent....while there were some fruit aspects, it wasn't immediately fruity or sweet smelling like you'd expect. Luckily the scent didn't linger during and after its use.

With the aspect of apricot seeds you'd expect there to be some sort of granular texture to the formula, in fact when you open up the jar you can see "bits" and "specs" of peachy brown apricot seeds...or at least what I'm assuming are the seeds; however, as soon as I dunked my hand in to retrieve product it felt like thick and goopy hair gel, nothing more. I thought to myself "Maybe once I work it into my hair/along my scalp I'll feel the 'scrubbing' sensation....."

Nope. Nope. Nope. It felt like I was just pushing hair gel globules into my strands.

It rinsed out fine enough and didn't leave any residue, but this is NOTHING like I was expecting or hoping for. 

This item's getting returned. I feel like I'd have better luck taking a body scrub to my scalp than to continue using this.

*guess who's gonna have to splurge on the Christophe Robine during the next discount off promo?*

(0) Hearts

Charlotte Tilbury clay mask - the scent was really strong and unpleasant (not medicinal or anything like that, just flowery). I could have dealt with the smell if I liked the rest of it, but nope. I realize that clay masks are thick and they can feel kind of "heavy" on your face. But this one...it made me feel like my face was suffocating. That probably doesn't even make sense but anyways I could not rinse it off fast enough. I did not have an overly thick layer of it on my face, either. Just not for me at all.

[ Edited ]

This is a pre-emptive "it didn't work for me".  Mostly cuz I am tired and cranky.

I was willing to try the new Giorgio Armani Fabric foundation.  I only once tried GA foundation in luminous silk ages ago.  I couldn't find a shade match, and the sample didn't sit well with me (or my skin).  But I was willing to try this new one.

Well, there are 8,672 shades in the Fabric, and nothing matches me remotely!  I have pored over the online swatches and descriptions, and it is so disappointing.  The jump in colour from #9 to #10 is just silly!  From beige to chocolate!  and #10 and #11 are quite pink anyway.

Could Giorgio not have mixed some 9 and 10 together and slapped some yellow in it?  Just for sheets and giggles?  

(0) Hearts

Same here! GA seems to think everyone is pink. I had a SA try to convince me to use a yellow powder to color correct the base color. 🤔

@greenchilli Shade matching is such a pain. I have trouble matching too but on the lighter end of the spectrum. Everything is always too pink or too orange it seems.

(0) Hearts

Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Base. I didn't know a primer could be such a disaster. I've literally never had a product go so wrong. I used it on top of my moisturizer and it looked a bit...off. I put my foundation on top, thinking it'd all be alright. It was not. It made my skin look horribly dry and emphasized every tiny little hair. My foundation wasn't blending well either. It was unbearably bad. So bad I washed everything off and started over. Smiley Indifferent

Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara - smudged bad on me. 

NARS Hot Sand Powder- pretty but too subtle for my taste.

Marc Jacobs Sugar Sugar Gloss- too much hype for just a gloss. Felt kind of heavy on my lips.

(0) Hearts

The BTS mascara smudged on me as well.

I absolutely detested the Better Than Sex mascara. It flaked on me like nothing I'd ever seen before. I don't understand where the hype comes from.

@Asche I have yet to find a high end mascara that I feel is worth it. I like my drugstore mascaras just as much if not more.

(0) Hearts

Fresh Creme Ancienne Soft Cream.  This gave me a breakout under the skin. I'm glad I didn't love it because it's so expensive.

Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter. This is basically an aloe cream. I am very sensitive to aloe. I didn't think to check the ingredients because I thought it would be...Argan Oil. My own fault, but my skin was like crocodile leather for 3 days.

(0) Hearts

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes Mascara: didn't do much for my lashes. I like my lashes to look dramatic.

Laura Mercier powder: My nose and forehead are oily year-round. They looked shiny after an hour after using this.

Buxom Mascara: Smudged quite a bit on me.

(0) Hearts

I have similar mascara issues! I used to love LCL but lately it's been meh for me. Do you have a favorite mascara to recommend?

(0) Hearts

My favorites are Benefit Roller Lash, Clinique High Impact, and CoverGirl Lashblast.

La Mer really did not work for me, I tried their sunscreen and their soft cream and it made my skin like sandpaper! ugh. 

(0) Hearts

I love living proof products, but their Dry volume blast was a disaster.

Made my head an un-brushable straw like mess.

I also thought that their dry shampoo was mediocre....

(0) Hearts

All Drunk Elephant products

Many people here know that I bought basically everything that DE makes, but unfortunately, none of it worked for me.  I tried it for a full month hoping for a good final result but nope, I got constant GIANT cystic zits, and constant small red zits on my forehead (tons of them there).  It didn't matter what product I used/removed when testing which wasn't working for me, they just all didn't work.

UD setting spray (all)

For some reason this spray just makes my makeup look separated and it tends to bunch up and look gross on my nose and chin.  Oh it also felt crusty on my face, even when I barely used any spray.

(0) Hearts

DE wasn't for me either. Broke out with everything I tried.