kimmi1115

Improvements in Drugstore Makeup

I know there's already a favorite thread for drugstore brands, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed different improvements in drugstore makeup?  Fran11 and I mentioned improvements in another thread, and I thought that would make an interesting discussion.  

I didn't experiment too much with various drugstore brands in high school; I always bought the same things over and over when they ran out.  Some things did not work well for me, but I still didn't experiment more within the brand of the evil product lol.  

Lately, I've noticed some drugstore products are working wonders for me.  Here are some photos of some drugstore items that I love in my stash.

IMG_0063.JPG

Drugstore mascaras seem to love my long lashes.  Although I despise Cover Girl concealer (that was the evil product lol), the new Clump Crusher mascara is amazing!!!!!  My mom randomly picked it up so I could be the guinea pig for it, and it gives me the exact same effect that the original UD Big Fatty mascara gave me.  Maybelline The Rocket is a close second for the Big Fatty effect lol.  I also love The Falsies and Colossal Volume.  Not pictured is my clear Maybelline Great Lash mascara I use as a brow gel because it is almost empty lol.

IMG_0064.JPG

Last year was the first time I tried Neutrogena cosmetics, and I have been very impressed.  I use the Shine Control items during the hot TN summers.  I do have to be cautious with the primer at times.  If my skin isn't too oily, I won't use it because it can feel a bit dry.  For a person with really oily skin, I would suggest these items to them.  The foundation is light, but the color is a bit dark for me at the moment.  The Healthy Skin Enhancer is amazing!  Blends well with no streaking.  I actually like it better than the TMs I've used in the past.  The concealer is another favorite that will, sadly, run out soon lol.

IMG_0065.JPG 

I randomly picked this up yesterday.  I've never tried anything by Hard Candy.  I think I read a while back that it was originally a department store brand.  Is that correct?  Anyway, the greens caught my eye.  I used it this morning, and so far I am impressed.  Of course, I always use my UDPP.

IMG_0066.JPG

Green closeup.

IMG_0067.JPG

Ecotools brushes!!!!  I love them!!!!!  After various cleanings, they have not shed and they aren't "spikey" and "pokey."  They're amazing!!!!

tama1924

Re: Improvements in Drugstore Makeup

ecotools for me and almay eyeliners :-p i have yet to find mascara that doesnt clump it all does for me, cheap expencive, unless its clear mascars everything clumps, help! :-p 

shyvicki

Ecotools are my favorite brushes. I also like Physican's Formula eyeliners.

I've been curious about the Hard Candy makeup. The brand used to be a deparment store brand. Back when it was I couldn't afford it so not sure how it compares from then to now.

melde

I was at Target yesterday and I saw that all of the Boots No.7 makeup was on sale (apparently they are revamping their packaging). I'm extremely picky with drugstore makeup, but I figured for 50% off I would get something, since I had been wanting to try something. (Also it seems a bit pricy for drug store makeup.) Anyway, I got a lipstick that they did in collaboration with Poppy King, and I really like it!! It ended up only being $5. Also it is hot pink, so that is awesome. It feels like very good quality.

Also, I really like the beauty blogger/vlogger Emily of Beauty Broadcast, and she always recommends Wet & Wild products. I was hesitant (mostly becuause I think I tried their products in my youth and they were horrible). But I decided to buy an eyeshadow palette and a blush a few weeks ago, and I actually really like them. The eyeshadow is very creamy (it is powder, but I think you know what I mean), and the blush is very pigmented and pretty. Also they were both around $3, so that was awesome.

fran11

I love watching Beauty Broadcast! I have one Wet and Wild trio based on her accolades.  I always seem to walk right by their display with out realizingat the drugstore though, or I am sure I would have purchased more by now. 

melde

Me too! I think Emily is so great becaue you can just imagine being friends with her.

I would try more W&W, especially because they are sooooo inexpensive, but they're not really sold that many places!! I do think they are great for experimenting with colors you're not sure about, since you're not wasting much money.

fran11

I know! I feel the same way about her. She is one of the few big "gurus" out there that really spends a lot of time finding and suggesting affordable options. I think thats really great! 

Me too! I had one of the 8 shadow palletes in my hand a few weeks ago and put it back. I have been kicking myself ever since!

melde

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

There is always drugstore dotcom!

kimmi1115

The only Revlon lip products I've really tried are the Lip Butters.  What others have you tried? 

I have the Revlon polish in Whimsical, which is now considered a hard to find polish!

fran11

I dont really have any other lip products from Revlon other than the Lip Butters and the Balm stains. I have 4 or 5 different shades of the lip butters and wear them often so they definitely take the cake for me in the drugstoee lip category! :smileyhappy:

latinadiva

I love love love the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipsticks. Probably some of my favorites in the drugstore. Some top colors for me are Just Enough Buff (a basic nude), Primrose (a slightly blue toned pink), Mauve it Over (slightly deeper rose nude), Cherries in the Snow (a gooorgeous deep pink/red), and Blushing Mauve (slightly deeper pink with a hint of rose). I also have almost all of the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable balm stains, among some of my favorites in the "balm stain" category. The ColorBurst Lip glosses and the Super Lustrous Lip glosses are great as well.

RoseDymphna

I love nivea lip butters (seriously, so good!), and I still am a sucker for Great Lash mascara.

fran11

Hooray for drug store makeup love :smileyhappy: I have really been impressed with Maybelline and Revlon.

I reach for my Maybelline Dream Matte powder over my high end powders much more often. It provides a little extra coverage and helps control oil without looking powdery on my skin. I also love my Maybelline Color Tattoos. They are great as bases for powder shadows or own their own and they last all day. 

Revlon has me won over in the lips and nails categories. I love the Lip Butters and Balm Stains. Their nail polishes are also great quality.

zeldahime

Most of my makeup is high end too but I have recently found a couple of drugstore goodies as well. Physicians Formula came out with some new pressed powders: Youthful Wear. It has a matte version and an illuminating version. I have both and am really liking them. I find most powders that are on the lighter end of the colour spectrum that claim to be translucent are lying. However, this powder really is translucent. No ashiness on my face. I use the illuminating to set my foundation in the morning and the matte for any touchups needed throughout the day.

I've only been using them about a month. Maybe the love will be short but so far I haven't felt the need to rush back out and grab another compact of the Nars pressed powder I've been using. That's pretty much it for drugstore makeup. I've never had any luck with drugstore foundation and/or mascara. 

I do use a drugstore toner: Alba AcneDote Astringent. I've been through several bottles of this. Great salicylic acid toner for the price.

Most of my hair care is drugstore though. Finesse Clean and Simple shampoo and conditioner along with the Organix Coconut serum and the coconut split end mender. This is what made me stop buying Phyto.

prettyinpa

Eco-tools is my favorite drugstore brush, also Sonia Kashuk from Target, though her brushes are more expensive than Eco-tools. I also like the new Pantene Age Defy Shampoo, Conditioner and serum. It works as well as really pricey hair thickeners and the serum smells good too. I bought the Peter Thomas Roth Hair Serum (over $50) and it didn't work as well as the $17.99 Pantene one. Plus Pantene Serum gives a big bottle for the price, the one from PTR is in a nice dropper bottle, is hardly worth it, I can apply the Pantene serum just as well if I'm careful.

I miss Neutrogena SPF 30 Hand Cream- it is really fast absorbing, odorless and SPF 30- what a combo. Unfortunately it seems to be no longer made, I can't find it anywhere, it was such a good product.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

There's not a Target in my home town, but the neighboring towns have one.  Their drugstore makeup selection is quite varied compared to my local Walmart and Walgreens.  I may have to check out those brushes next time I'm at Target.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Most of my makeup is high end, but I do have my drugstore favorites. For makeup I like....

1. Ecotools Brushes---I have a lot of Ecotools and I use everything, everyday, all the time. I love that they are super soft, super dense and wash really well. And they dont shed or get scratchy and when they dry, they dont use their original shape.

2. Real Techniques brushes---I *think* this is classified as drugstore, its in the drugstore section at ULTA, and if your Bed Bath and Beyond has a beauty section, they carry them as well. Love it for the same reasons I love the Ecotools.

3. Burts Bees Lip Shimmers----my fave drugstore lipstick. I have 4 in my purse right now and use them to touch up my lipcolor everyday. I dont carry my high end lipsticks with me.

4. Revlon Lip Butters---I only have one, Cupcake but I want more. True to color, moisturizing, as long lasting as a lip butter could be and good price. And I like their big selection.

5. Rimmel London Stay Glossy Lipgloss----my fave drugstore lipgloss. Sheer but not transparent, not the least bit sticky and moisturizing. And they are 5 bucks or less, depending on location. I have always lovely and want more.Usually I have to pay high end prices to get this kind of formula, it just feels so luxe on lips, very glossy and looks good on its own or layered over lipstick.

6. Rimmel London Stay Matte setting powder----I have the transparent and have hit pan on mine, use it everyday and love it. It lasts all day and looks amazing over any foundation. Looks beige but goes on translucent. You get tons of products too, and its $2.99 at Target.

7. Loreal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black---this mascara does more for my lashes than most high end mascaras do (with the exception of 3). It gives me length, color and volume and its around 7 bucks. My local drugstore is really good with coupons so I can usually get it for less, and Target frequently has sales on mascaras.

I'll post pix when I can :smileyvery-happy:

Oh and I really want to try FLOWER BEAUTY by Drew Barrymore. Its only sold at Walmart, the blush has a rave review by musings of a muse and I want to try the mascara and lipstick as well. Oh and the cream shadow too!!

melde

I want to try Flower Beauty too! I don't want to go to walmart just for that purpose, though. I've heard mixed reviews on some of the products, so I want to really make sure I know what I want before I go.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I also have to add....

8. Loreal color riche le gloss----not the slightest bit sticky, super glossy. I have the clear one and love it over lipstick for shine/moisture.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Most of collection is high end, too, and it's dominated by Urban Decay lol.  I'm always willing to try anything by UD.

I love the Revlon Lip Butters!  I finished my Sugar Frosting one a while back, but I haven't replaced it yet.  I'm working on a few other lip products.  I also want to try the Maybelline Color Whisper lip balms to see how they compare with the Revlon ones.

berniebeauty

[ Edited ]

My favoritre brush of alltime is a target brand one that i picked up out of nessecity. Its the Studio Tools medium shadow brush, and it was only 2.49. I loved it to death but going on the 4 year mark its dying and washing it has started to make it shed; I'll need a replacement soon. I would say I definately got my moneys worth though

I also love Neutrogena for one reason alone haha. I got their sunscreen and it didn't feel oily at all. It smelled unlike normal sunscreen, though its a bit more pricey than generic sunscreen it is so worth it. I want to try out some more of their makeup products next time I go shopping.

The all time winner for drugstore products for me is plain ol' chapstick. Its at the price where I can buy half a dozen and spread them around my house and in my purses without feeling guilty. They stay pretty well, and they don't melt. I loved my fresh birthday gift but you can't even put that in your pocket! I just feel like chapstick is hardy and just what I need when the winter wind is blowing.

~We are all beautiful~

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 67 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • shyvicki
    • kimmi1115