ashhay

If you had to pick your top three decades for makeup, fashion, and hair what would they be?

My top three are the roaring 1920s, the glamorous and elegant 1950s and the women's wartime fashion of the 1940s.

dianabt

Re: If you had to pick your top three decades for makeup, fashion, and hair what would they be?

(0) Hearts

I'll say the 1920's so I could be a flapper girl with a cigarette free- long cigarette stick (maybe i could put a chocolate straw in it instead?) and lots of pearls and short hair which is so easy to work with!

The 1970s because it would be awesome to wear a neon orange polyester suit with goldfish in my platform heels and a light up dance floor..

AND the 1700s so I could dress in a corset and ball gown with a powdered white headed wig like Marie Antoinette and play polo while my guards hold my hound dogs and butlers bring me tea from Spain. LOL :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
starletta8

Re: If you had to pick your top three decades for makeup, fashion, and hair what would they be?

(0) Hearts

I love the glamorous 1920s, 1950s style, and 1960s for fashion.

sephoramusthave

swfupload_1434588296625565306.jpg

swfupload_6200621246326376546.jpgI like the 1920's and 1950's. The 50's were all about black eyeliner and a bright red or orange lip, and the 20's were more about all around glamour and going all out with wigs and accessories.

ashhay

(0) Hearts

I like that the 1920s was a coming out party for women. It seemed the previous decades were restrictive and told women how to look and dress. The women of the 1920s proved you don't need hair down there to be beautiful. They also introduced an androgynous form of beauty by wearing shapeless dresses they exposed beautiful legs. I also think the cupids' bow lipstick shape was simple way to evoke drama to the face. It was also an introduction on how makeup can transform the face. The 1940s and 1950s was all about being polished and classy at all times. The 1950s introduced more glamour into the polished look but there was never a hair out of place in either of the two decades. I guess there is season for everything though...you know?!

katie1724

Great question!

I would say the 1930s first and overall, then the 1920s, and then probably the 1940s if I had to pick a third. I'm obsessed with collecting vintage clothing from these (first two) periods. Though it's rare, it's amazing that you can find clothing that old in amazing condition (particularly from the 20s -- that beautiful, heavy beading (+ improper storage) tends to be the death of many those dresses over time), and I get so excited when I do! I have vintage clothing from most decades, but the 30s (particularly early to mid) is my favorite overall time period.

Even though I love Edwardian clothing, I need my eyeliner, so this is the only reason it's not on my comprehensive list :smileywink:

ashhay

(0) Hearts

I don't know much about the 1930's fashion wise . I always think of the Great Depression but now I am curious about the fashion and makeup trends during that time. This sounds like a job for google...thanks.

bittersweet86

1870's love the dresses

1950's Pinup ^_^

1990's Baggy pants, crop tops and boots (for girls ^_^....think Aaliyah 

ashhay

(0) Hearts

I think the 1990s was a combo of heavy makeup from the 1980s ( minus the wild tacky colors / more earth tones) and the natural look of the late 60s/early 70s. I tried to get my hair like Aaliyah's but I think the hairstyle is suited for thinner faces.

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Think the 1990s depended on what kind of style you liked in the first place but I mainly liked it because in school it was ok to not be a girly girl and still be kind of fashionable. 

kissXmakeup

I would have to agree with you @ashhay! Those were also my top three. I love the pin-up girls! It is so powerful to see how curvy women were back then & how it was preferred and now it seems the media is pushing anorexia on women. It is sad! I still prefer pin-ups. I absolutely love their hair and makeup as well as fashion of that time. The twenties were so classy! People would not leave the house without being presentable and nicely dressed, something that did not prevail today haha

kalex

@mintshake - I'll agree with you on women's dresses in the 1700's - those were beautiful!  I hope you weren't talking makeup and hair though!  Their white powder was finely flaked lead - which they rarely washed off and just continued to pile on day after day!

I would have to say 1800's Southern Belle (a la Scarlet O'Hara) and then the 40's and 50's.  I'd love to wear heels and pearls everyday!

ashhay

@kalex- Scarlet O' Hara definitely worked a corset unlike anyone else. If you want to be someone during that time she  should be at the top of the list!

Manda

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

One thing: Most women of that time never wore those elegant ballgown dresses.  A lot of them are high collared and plainly colored.  It is one of the misconceptions of that time period.

316323_534480652254_1403233279_n.jpg

Like this. >> And yes, that is me dressed in period clothing.  Wetplates are amazing!

MintShake

I would go for the 1700's, 1950's and 1940's I love corsets and lace.

poemelyric

Mine would have to be the 60's for the hair, 70's for it's cool fashion, and 50's because everyone was always made up.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • ashhay
    • poemelyric
    • Manda