marydiva

If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be?

Hello ladies! :smileyhappy: I'm one of the (few) 17-18 year olds who frequent BT (more often to read then to post) and I've learned so many amazing things from you people! :smileyhappy:

So, I was wondering - if you could time travel and give your 18 year old self advice about makeup/skincare, etc what would you say? :smileyhappy:

amberangeline

Re: If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be

(0) Hearts

I agree with everyone else- I'd tell myself to take much better care of my skin. I didn't realize the impact I was making as a teenager on the way my skin is now. I'd say that sunburns ARE a big deal and should be avoided at all costs, drinking water makes a world of difference in your skin, and washing your face in the morning and at night is necessary! Makeup advice I would give myself would be to not be afraid to be different and to play around with it more when I had the time. :-)

jennjenn123

Re: If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be

(0) Hearts

Don't just try to treat acne, figure out what is causing it in the first place.  You may need to eliminate or swap products to determine what is contributing to acne.

pearlgirl7

(0) Hearts

I am still in my mid-twenties, but boy would I like to be able to go back and tell my self the following things (and likely many more!): 

1.) Don't go tanning. Not. Ever.

2.) Sunscreen everyday. Period.

3.) Start eating clean and exercising regularly.

4.) Moisturizer is your best friend. 

5.) Be nice to everyone, but don't be a pushover or cave into peer pressure. 

6.) Don't gossip.

7.) Don't date in high school. And if you do, don't brush off the "nerds." The nerds become the successful/cool/most eligible bachelors in their mid-twenties. Those college football players you are about to date...not so much. :smileywink:

8.) Cultivate a strong sense of self earlier. 

9.) Find a cause outside of yourself to be passionate about sooner.

MikuNerd65

(0) Hearts

Wow, that was not that long ago...Like 5 years ago, time sure does fly.

1. One thing I would tell my younger self is to start using lotion on your body...You may have been skinny, and hated lotion, but when your 23 and gained a HEALTHY weight, stretch marks aren't your best friend.

2. So what if your grandmother said that your hair looked like a rooster, it ain't her hair, it's yours! You don't need to change it for them.

3. Learn to teach my younger self to clean my face, you get a much better glow and a clearer face. So that you wouldn't have all this yucky pores.

One thing I would say is major boy advice. Have fun! Do whatever makes you happy. Be independent, cause none of those guys are going to be around forever. You get way more respect by taking care of yourself, making your own money, and learning more about yourself instead of hoping for a fairy tale that isn't going to happen.  Also be stronger, stand up for your self, it's okay to bite back sometimes :smileywink:

DandyLionFluff

(0) Hearts

1). Do not layout to get a tan.  The bronzed beauty's you are trying to emulate now will look like saddlebags when they hit their 40's.

2). Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...... And make sure it has SPF

3).  Learn to make exercise part of your daily routine.  

syritt

That's easy. Learn how to put makeup on your own face sooner.

I was good at doing makeup on others, but I never really wore anything so I never bothered to learn for myself. I've gotten most of it down now, but I still have problems with eyeliner (especially winged, which I love more than anything), and contouring. Ah well. It will come with more time and practice, I'm sure.

bfuller

My best and most preached advice:  keep your hands off your face.

1.  Your fingers are very oily and that oil transfers to your face to help cause blemishes by clogging pores and imbedding debris.

2.  Your fingers/hands pull at the delicate skin of your face; think rubbing your eyes.  Your skin is like a rubber band.  When you rub, tug or pull at it, the elasticity will only bounce back so much.

And like a lot of other ladies on here:  Sunscreen!  Sunscreen!!  Sunscreen!!!

mimibel

1.Stay out of the sun and tan beds you silly nit. You are always going to be pale. Even if you manage a tan, it will be a pale tan. Wait for the self tanners to improve, they will...

General advice:

Ditch the boyfriend, travel more, always buy the shoes.

ladymeag

I think your general advice could be handed out to nearly every 18-year-old and serve well. :smileyvery-happy:

cig01

Wear SPF 30 (at minimum) every day!! 

jennypenny1995

"QUIT PICKING AT YOUR DARN SKIN!!!"

bombshell30

(0) Hearts

Sunscreen & skincare are paramount! I started in my very early 20's and I don't think that was soon enough! I wish I had stared even sooner!

ladymeag

Just one piece of advice? Stop listening to what other people tell you you are or aren't "allowed" to wear/do/look like - there are no rules beyond the ones you want to impose yourself (exception: employers. And choose wisely on that count.) 

If I'm allowed to dispense more advice to my younger self: 
Quit listening to people who tell you that "Men like X," "employers won't let you X," "no one looks good with X" as a blanket - for every person that likes a certain look, there's another that doesn't. When your father says, "You can't cut your hair because men don't like short hair and I don't want you to be blah blah blah" - stop listening. Just no. 

I know your mother likes cheap shampoo. Follow that gut instinct that you have that says it's the reason your hair is thin and breaks all the time. You're right. Find something good, anything's better than Prell. (In general: yes, your mother has been at this for a long time. That doesn't mean her solutions work for you: her foundation picks are too dark, her eyebrow shaping is dated, her ideas on what's good for your skin and hair are dated and don't work especially since she has oily tan-prone skin and you're combination with sun damage issues. Find your own way.) 

That dark-liner-lighter-lipstick? Will make you cringe when you see photos in ten years. Stop it. (Lesson to learn here: take a good look at makeup trends and think about what it's going to look like ten years from now. They're the only photos you'll have of now. Something bold isn't bad but something that can be mistaken for poor technique will be.) 

Learn what blending is and how to do it - jawline, hairline, eyeshadow. 

Quit being afraid of blush and bronzer, learn how to use them and see above: blend. Blend. Blend. (In general: learn what all of the products are for, even if you don't use them. Knowing will help when you need or want those solutions.)

lucyshnoosy

(0) Hearts

I'm smiling at your remark about Prell.  When I was younger my hair was very oily.  High-end shampoos were way too gentle for me, and my hair would be a greasy mess by the end of the day.   I started using Prell and it was great for me, because I WANTED a really, really, strong shampoo.  I also got frequent compliments on my hair.  When people asked me what I used, I would tell them but add a disclaimer: it's great for me, but it may not be what you are looking for!

I still use drugstore shampoo (less harsh, though) and I still get compliments on my hair.

I guess everyone's HG is really different!  There's a good lesson in that. :-)

ladymeag

Haha, yes! My HG shampoo probably makes you cringe thinking of greasy hair. My mother had very oily skin and very oily hair and Prell was awesome for her. My hair is fine, thin, dandruff-prone, prone to humidity-related issues, and generally pretty sensitive. 

I wish my mother had understood that her beauty/care wasn't working for my skin and hair - it would have saved me a lot of teenaged hassle! :smileyhappy: 

lucyshnoosy

[ Edited ]

I totally understand!  I remember back when I was a teenager with very oily skin and frequent breakouts; my late grandmother insisted that I just needed to smear some Jergen's lotion on my face.  Glad I didn't follow that advice.

ladymeag

My mother had the same method for handling her oily skin - she was convinced that if she over-applied heavy, petroleum based moisturizer, that she would "teach" her skin to not produce so much oil. I wonder where that idea came from? On the flip side, she was convinced that my dry skin needed to be heavily cleaned to "clear the pores" and "teach" it to produce more oils so it wouldn't be so dry. I will never forget my skin being so dry on my face that it was peeling in a few places from over-washing and lack of moisture. It was a Clinique counter rep that finally convinced her (using the three-step system and their "types" that I needed a different system than she was using.) 

sephoramusthave

1. When you go to the dentist, don't EVER EVER let them pull your fillings because they are "cracked" or "old". A filling is like cement, if its there and doing its job and your tooth doesn't hurt DO NOT TOUCH it. Dentists are money grubbers and they don't care about you, they just want money. When you replace your fillings every year, you are getting closer and closer to either a root canal or other problems. When they pull fillings, they drill a bigger hole, and put in a bigger filling. Over time the dentist will say " the filling is so big that your tooth could split in half" so you will need a crown. Again, DO NOT PULL GOOD FILLINGS. A year and a half ago I had all of my fillings replaced and last month the dentist wanted to pull them all out and replace them. NO NO NO.

2. Have more fun. You're a good kid but you spend wayyyy to much time focusing on school and not enough time focusing on LIFE. Get out more, date more, go to parties even if you have a **bleep** quiz the next day. Because when you get to college, everyone is going to have their own schedule and doing their own thing that things like that will be hard to come by.

3. DO NOT start college without declaring a major first. If you don't know what you want to study yet, get some work experience under your belt and go to school when you figure it out. You will waste sooo much time and money taking classes that don't apply to your major.

DTalksAll

I don't agree with number 3. Most programs have students working on their core classes first, like English, Math, Government... in the first 1.5 years. 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I'm with Danny on #3, too.  When I started college (over 30 years ago now but I don't think the school has fundamentally changed that much) you couldn't declare a major until your 3rd year.  And lots of students didn't know what they wanted to do until then.  Maybe at some schools you really can only have one program, but at my school we were required to take science, language, math to a certain level (and now there is a required writing class, too.)

I'm looking at it from a much longer perspective, of course, but I think the classes I took outside my major were at least as useful as the ones I took in my major, and the general experience of a liberal arts education was much more valuable than the details I learned in any classes.

My advice is do your work, even if you hate the high school class, to the best of your ability.  Don't be dumb and don't do the work because you don't like the class -- that bad grade because you didn't work will have an impact later.  Go to college and enjoy and learn from the whole experience -- it's a lot more than just taking classes.  Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone or try something new.  You may find something you love that you never even considered before.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 93 replies
  • 172 hearts
  • 79 in conversation
    • rosieroseg
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • spoiledbrat
    • pearlgirl7