marydiva

If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be?

Hello ladies! :smileyhappy: I'm one of the (few) 17-18 year olds who frequent BT (more often to read then to post) and I've learned so many amazing things from you people! :smileyhappy:

So, I was wondering - if you could time travel and give your 18 year old self advice about makeup/skincare, etc what would you say? :smileyhappy:

kelsey808

Re: If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be

I'm only 19 but I definitely wish I started some of my current skincare habits and makeup techniques a year or two ago. I used to always sleep in my makeup and cover my entire face in chemical-loaded foundation.. makes me cringe just thinking about it ahhh!!

- always take your makeup off every single night! especially if you are struggling with acne, keeping your makeup on all the time is making it worse

- if you're struggling with breakouts, listen to your skin! for years I tried a ton of "acne fighting" cleansers with such harsh chemicals that it was just making my skin worse. once I switched to less harsh, more natural cleansers I actually had the clear skin I've always wanted

- don't pick at your blemishes and clogged pores! seriously if you just leave them alone your skin will look much better than if you pick

- the more natural, the better! (regarding both skincare and makeup)

EllieyJelly

Re: If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be

Go on Youtube and watch some videos to learn beauty stuff!

girlystuff63

I did stay out of sun and turning 50 in Dec makes me feel proud at how great my face looks. But, I forgot one thing and it's my advice to you. My hands look old because I ignored them. Don't forget your hands. moisturize your hands as well or they will age and look wrinkled as mine do. 

I agree with everything everyone else has said about your face but also don't smoke and eat well and sleep well.  There are way too many preservatives in food today that will do who knows what kind of damage to your skin, so it's a good idea to not only watch what you put on your face but what you put in it. 

marydiva

Reading this thread was so enjoyable. :smileyhappy: You ladies have wonderful advice! 

veronika23

[ Edited ]

I forgot to add take care of your hair and protect it from heat styling tools! :smileyhappy:

veronika23

It's mostly the same as the other wonderful ladies :smileyhappy:

-Wear sunscreen

-Wash your face, especially before you go to bed.  Remove all that make-up!

-Pick a good moisturizing cream and eye cream whatever the brand and price.  Choose what works for you and keep it going.

-Take care of the skin on your body not just your face.  Wash/Exfoliate/Moisturize.

-DON'T  play with your face/acne. Trust me!

-If something looks off go see a derm.

-Do facials.  You can do them at home, it's cheaper & your skin will love you for it.

-Don't over pluck your eyebrows

- I'm only saying this because some people are interested and it's important to be informed. I am not saying you should look into that but remember what I said if you want to look into it in the future. If ever you are looking for cosmetic procedures (in the future) like laser, laser hair removal etc (I started at a young age)  DO your research on lasers!  Go see a reputable dermatologist even if the price is higher than other places.  It's something you don't wanna mess with. Lasers can burn your skin and leave permanent scars. It's an investment.  Don't do it coz the price is cheap do it because you want to and because you are confident in the person doing it. I had laser hair removal years ago and still happy with the results.  In my case it was well worth it!  I also had a laser treatment in my face to remove redness and it also went well.  I trust my derm and he has a very good reputation.  I will only see him and I don't care about the cost.  If I can't afford it I won't get it done.  He's the only one I will go to.

- I started this later but researched ingredients and products. I'm not the best at it but I know more.  Good sources are David Suzuki Dirty Dozen list (google it) and The book No More Dirty Looks by Siobhan O'Connor & Alexandra Spunt.

- Most of all have fun! Play with your make-up.  Do was pleases you and don't try and change your make-up because some guy doesn't like it!  Screw him. If that's what you want do it!

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]

Oh yes let me add - DO NOT overtweeze brows.  Big lush brows are awesome.  It's ok to pluck strays and shape a little - but really, they do NOT keep growing back forever once you get older.

I waxed mine for years in the 90s when thin brows were in (or I thought they were) and now I spending all of my late 20s and early 30s willing them to brow back in a little :smileyvery-happy:.

And yes, I second-third-fourth-fifth sunscreen.

I wore it on my face when going out in the sun for long periods, but I think I missed my neck/chest.

SUNSCREEN ON NECK/CHEST!

ShinyMagpie

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!!!

Be yourself and do what makes you happy not what others think you should. :smileyhappy:

carolang

1. Keep a cleans face cleansing wipes in your nightstand if you're too tired to wash your face

2. Especially if you do a sport outside everyday... Wear SPF. Neutrogena makes a really nice spray one (the cooling effect one) it's SPF45 I believe. I'm stI'll trying to get better about this - but this is a great non sticky SPF I don't even notice it and is so quick to apply.

3. If your skin is becoming dry and flaky stop and analyze what you're doing. Oily possibly acne stone skin? You're probably drying it out with way too many acne products or retinols. Naturally dry skin? Find a good moisturizer! (I like Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight mask in the green tube of spot treating dry areas, I'm normally oily).

4. Foundation probably isnt necessary. Don't overdo it! Concealer, mascara, some eyeshadow many a little liner (using shadow as a liner is nice too... Wish I would have known that, it's a lot less harsh).

5. Get your brows done professionally at least the first time! Be careful with those tweezers. I had my brows done professionally by the same woman from high school through college. Now that my parents moved I don't go up there anymore so I figured it'd be easy to maintain the shape but actually it's been difficult for me, and I don't think my brows look as good as they used to :smileysad:

properlylost

I would have told myself not to tweeze my eyebrows so thin, it took me a while to appreciate thicker brows more and that good eyebrows are essential.

SirenPrincess

All that skincare stuff is not just an attempt to sell you more expensive stuff.  When you find the right products for you, they make a huge difference and are worth it!

LuckyWinter

Im actually 17 going for 18 on Dec 6, and I enjoy reading this :smileyhappy: Thanks for the thread! 

calamityjane85

Exfoliate, don't pick at acne, wash am, and don't be afraid to go a little heavier with makeup. (I look like I didn't wear any back then although I did) 

Nicrohr

I would say, first learn to destress better :smileyhappy:, then:

- in terms of make-up... less eyeliner. more blush when tired/5am HS days. more natural-pretty.  more natural looks, natural hairstyles (natural wave), relaxed...

- You have fair yellow (slight olive) undertone skin and COOL COLORS look better on you (took me a while to figure this out).

- be less obsessive/compulsive about things like washing and styling my hair every day (LONG, THICK HAIR, this took forever and was hard on my hair).  I could have gone at least two days without washing, blowdrying and re-straightening my hair, but in HS I was afraid someone would think that was gross?

- enjoy the beauty rituals (actually, I really did in college when I had a fair amount of down time... not so in HS).

BeautyJunkie325

[ Edited ]

Here is what I would have told a younger me:

• Always wash your face no matter what
  • Start using a hydrating eye cream/gel early to fight those little lines 
  • drink water, your skin will thank you.  The more hydrated I am the fewer blemishes I end up with.
  • use a sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer and make sure it is the right shade, you don't want to be wearing foundation mask.
  • no thick eyeliner, use shadow to line your lower lashes and titeline your upper lashes.
  • use an eyelash comb, no clumpy lashes.  Too much mascara is not your friend.
roxystar4

[ Edited ]

tell him that you love him and want to be with him, sometimes you only get one chance

ok- i didnt read the skincare part.  my skincare/makeup advice would be- always wear SPF! wash your face 2X daily and DONT PICK

TrysBeautyItems

Don't think the more skincare products equal quicker results..it just makes your skin irritated more. Less is more.

If you can't wash your face at night, at least use a gentle makeup remover wipe, will get the day off with or without makeup on.

If you need help figuring out your skin, see a good dermatologist. Find out what they specialize in before making an appointment. For example, mine is all about the high-end expensive procedures, but they have a great esthetician who tells me if a facial (with her) would be better than a peel etc.

For makeup, go with a more natural look. Using a light foundation, tinted moisturizer, bb/cc is ok to even out the skin with coverup, if needed, but you don't need a heavy makeup look.

Missie772

To be better about skincare- sunblock, wash my face every night, and wear eye cream.

Also, not to pick at my zits (yes I was and still kind of am a picker) because it left a bunch of scars!

PoesRevy

I second spoiledbrats comment. Sunblock always.

spoiledbrat

PoesRevy - i am honored to be on the same brain wave as you :smileyhappy:

how is the hand?  <3

PoesRevy

It is not something I wish on anyone. Surely is a .....oops, not going to try to put the word am thinking! The only thing that is positive, I will not have to wrap any gifts this year-others will have to.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 93 replies
  • 172 hearts
  • 79 in conversation
    • rosieroseg
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • spoiledbrat
    • pearlgirl7