pinkonyx

IN THE NAME OF BEAUTY? strange beauty habits.

So I came across an article about how Demi Moore gets facials where leaches are attached to her face. It is supposed to purify , and stimulate blood flow. I just think it sounds scary! But it got me thinking... What is the most avant-garde thing you have tried in the name of beauty? Did it work? 

Mine is when I was in middle school and early high school a family member convinced me I should use raw eggs on my skin to clear my acne! It was messy, probably dangerous and most of all INNAFECTIVE!

midnightangel

Re: IN THE NAME OF BEAUTY? strange beauty habits.

(0) Hearts

Being cursed with cystic acne since birth, I tried everything to get rid of it. And I do mean everything. I couldn't possibly list all of the weird home remedies...I remember using Comet cleanser was one of them. None of it ever worked.

2 Accutane treatments later, the skin is clear...mostly.

Some of my more recent habits are using an umbrella whenever I have to be in the sun, even if just for a few seconds. Only going out after dark. I value my pallor the way some people value getting a tan.

Things that don't work...paling home remedies. Like the lemon/glycerin one, the flour/milk one, the baking soda bath one. Fading creams don't work either.

I think the leeches thing was totally made up btw.

lilmissmodel14

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yes def some moments here! 

1. Using elmers glue as a pore strip (kind of did work but was so messy)

2. Using egg white and lemon juice as a face mask (i did feel tightness but not sure if it is long term effective)

3. Sleeping face up to prevent wrinkles.

4. using olive oil in my hair to get rid of split ends (it did work but was pretty oily washing it off )

5. Toothpaste on pimples ( yes and no it dried it up)

6. Using my finger, brush, pencil to curl my hair haha (nope!) 

MermaidBarbie

(0) Hearts

Hmm.....Let's see...

1. In Junior High, I put mayonnaise on my hair to make it smooth; too bad I smelled like a sandwich for a few days (and a guy mentioned that btw lol).Did not work unfortunately.

2. I used to put peroxide in a bowl and dip my unpainted nails into it for about a minute or so to whiten my nails due to abusing them with dark colors that stained them and made them a little yellow. Ew. (I never used base coats back then). This did work, however.

3. You guys may laugh at this or think I'm such a moron, but in high school, I wanted to try lightening my hair a bit so I used a Qtip and dipped it in Clorox, yes, Clorox.....and went over my hair in a vertical manner in hopes of giving it dimension. This did work lol...but my hair smelled really bad. Oh, and I left that on overnight lol... :/

4. I try to sleep on my back or at least turn my head upright while on my side in hopes of preventing wrinkles. So far, so good!

That is all for now. If I remember something else, I will edit this post! Haha.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

Hmm.  I also put my sister in a bathing suit made from teabags for the same scavenger hunt, the put her in the bathtub.  I wonder if a tea soak is good for skin...

DST57

(0) Hearts

I haven't done it, but I have seen on TV that there is a foot treatment where you put your feet into water that has these little sucking fish in it, and the fish come up and nibble all of the dead softened skin off of your feet. They had underwater cameras and it was crazy looking, but these people were raving about it. I will stick to pumice and pedis, but more power to people willing to pay hundreds of dollars to have their dead foot skin eaten off by fish lol.

AViz

Hahaha these are HILARIOUS! 

A few things I've tried some more insane than others:

-Sleeping only on my back to avoid face wrinkles.

-Laying on the floor with my legs up on the wall for a half hour to prevent spider veins.

-Putting a castor oil/glycerin mixture on my hair for shine that left it oily for a week.

-Sleeping with dots of toothpaste on pimples to dry them out.

-Rinsing my hair with a beer.  (Should have just drank it lol)

DST57

(0) Hearts

Ah the toothpaste on pimples trick! I did that all the time in high school and it just never seemed to work, once it actually burned my skin. But since some of the magazines swore by it, I kept trying to make it work for me :-)

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I've made a honey and cinnamon mask before, and that was so messy! It was all over the counters and it didn't even work that well at all. But yeah that's pretty much it...

Esdee

I used some of Taco Bell's new churros as curlers this morning for a scavenger hunt item, and damned if my hair doesn't seem more lush now.  Probably the high oil content in them, combined with the cinnamon & sugar?  It's almost good enough to tempt me to do it again...

ashhay

When I was a little girl around 8 or 9, I use to try to mimicking my mother and sleep with noexam on my face and cucumbers on my eyes. Unfortunately I couldn't sleep perfectly still like her so my bed would always be a mess instead of a location of beauty Rituals....I still don't know how she user to sleep like that without making a mess. Needless to say, I haven't seen her sleep like that in the past 10 years....maybe it was more of a pain than she let on.

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

i could imagine that would be so annoying, trying to lay perfectly still. 

Meg82

[ Edited ]

I used to do the thing with the packing tape to exfoliate, and not just on my face, on my legs too.

let me clarify, this was when i was a teenager.

LCResz

Making an aspirin mask with yogurt and honey. It was runny and messy, and honestly it didn't do much. I did it once a week for a month and no miraculous skin changes. Now I stick to eating the yogurt and honey and letting them work their magic from the inside out, lol!

I am currently intrigued by snail cream, but I won't try to harvest that stuff from the critters on my sidewalk!

mxcx

(0) Hearts

I'm super curious about snail cream too, but I just can't get over the image of sliminess every time I want to purchase a container.. it's supposed to work wonders though! :smileysurprised: Would love to hear about your experiences if you do end up trying it. (:

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

mmm yogurt and honey sounds good. Now i want one, of course without the aspirin. 

tashalicious

i tried an olive oil and sugar scrub, it softens the skin

i highlighted my hair with Kool-Aid, it looked gorgeous just don't get caught in the rain LOL!   omg  the color runs all down your face and clothes, but it sure looks pretty on a sunny day.

soaking my feet in vinegar helps remove dead skin

i've used lemon juice and honey as a natural face peel. it does work i just got lazy about doing it.

DST57

(0) Hearts

Oh yes! We were all about the Kool-Aid highlights, and also about doing "highlights" with lemon juice before we were allowed to dye our hair. I remember so clearly one of my friends turning her pretty brown hair orange one summer because she was convinced that if she just kept putting the lemon juice in it and laying out, she would one day be a beach blonde :-)

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

Oh, man I remember doing Kool-Aid highlights too!  I think my father just about had a heart attack when he saw my pink hair.

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

your very resourceful! I have also used the olive oil sugar scrub.

Candy357

Oh I don't think any, I just can't mix food with body parts LOL

Ew at Demi , that is just ew and risky no? Like don't they carry infections? O.o

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • ashhay
    • joeanne
    • MermaidBarbie
    • lilmissmodel14
    • midnightangel
    • Candy357